“Classic and Comfortable!”

The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
“Classic and Comfortable!”
Reviewed July 26, 2010

This hotel was a splurge after staying with friends for a week. The location is excellent - best part of the beach! And convenient to great stores, restaurants, etc. The bar food was overpriced, and drinks were strong, but the ambiance was great. The service was beyond excellent! Stayed in older section, and rooms were huge although the bathroom was fairly small with only shower stall, not bath. I can't say enough about the staff - they truly make this hotel one of the best I have ever stayed at. From the moment you drive in and meet the bell hops & parking staff, to the cleaning staff, to the desk clerks, the staff are generous, helpful, genuine and caring. The welcome of a jasmine lei and banana bread was well appreciated. I became very ill on my last day in Hawaii and one wonderful desk staff person arranged for me to remain in my room beyond the check out time until I could get to the airport in the evening. Once I arrived back home, I found that his generous gift of rest before I left probably saved my life. It was a peaceful, classic 1920's hotel - an refined oasis in the middle of hotel sprawl. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank KateSeattle_WA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (885)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
United States
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I stayed at the Royal Hawaiian for one night and I was very impressed! This is my first time to Hawaii and someone made my arrangements for me to stay there. I was very happy when I arrived on the property.
The entrance is beautiful. Lush grounds, a tropical paradise.
My room wasn't ready when I first arrived because I got there early, so I went to the lanai restaurant for lunch and it was a nice experience. The food and service was very good and the views of Diamond Head and the ocean were magnificient.

My room was oceanfront in the new tower. Although the room wasn't newly renovated, it was just fine. I had a private balcony and all was well. :)

Everything was close by, shopping, restaurants, nightlife. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank LisaEaseTravels
Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We have been to Hawaii a number of times and always wondered about the Royal Hawaiian.
We only wish we had ventured inside on earlier visits, because it is so beautiful and peaceful.

It's right in the middle of Waikiki Beach with beautiful grounds and birds singing as you enter. The hotel is a beautiful timeless building and inside has been moderniised while maintaining that royal air without the huge price tag.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time here, and the added attraction over our last visit is that the new Beach Walk just outside has been completed with new two storey shopping down Lewers Street that's a lot of fun and really close to the Royal Hawaiian.

The staff at the Royal Hawaiian were fantastic to us and everything was easy for them.
We found the prices to be reasonable - after all, this is a five star Luxury Collection Hotel - if you want something cheap, the experience will be cheaper too, so to those who complain about prices, you're not reflecting the sheer enjoyment of staying at this wonderful hotel.

Thanks again to all at the Royal Hawaiian - the beach out front is so beautiful then it's just a quick walk back inside to this beautiful hotel. No wnder it's called the Royal Hawaiian, it's just lovely in every way.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Whereisjan
Whittier, California
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Beautiful hotel, staff very friendly, best beachfront hotel in Wakiki.

1 Thank DFranco
Aussie
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We have just stayed in this beautiful grand hotel that's had many millions spent on it to make it the ultimate vacation choice, on the world's most famous beach at Waikiki.

The Pink Palace is the iconic place to be on Waikiki Beach, with wonderful staff and the absolute joy of free beach lounges and umbrellas in prime position on the beach.

Many of the staff are proud Hawaiians who still feel the spirits of the Hawaiian Royal Family who used to come here to their summer vacation home. They feel privileged to work here and happily embody the spirit of Aloha (welcome, hospitality, friendship, assistance and more - what a lovely word).

The internet is also free in the room behind the concierge, so a recent review is quite incorrect. The most recent reviews are so far off reality that Tripadvisor readers need to know the truth.

What's special about the Royal Hawaiian compared with other Waikiki hotels?

First, you're right there on the beachfront at the centre of Waikiki life. Staying somewhere else back from the beach (as we have previously) just won't let you remember that special Hawaiian holiday.

Second, this hotel has won the Tripadvisor Travelers' Choice award for 2010 for Romance and Relaxation for a very good reason. Only by staying here will you understand the uplifting spirit of enjoyment and hospitality in grand surroundings.

Third, the architecture is outstanding. EVerywhere you go along the beach, your eyes are drawn to this Pink Palace that's so alluring. No other hotel offers the aesthetics and entry motif in such vibrant colours of warm peachy pink with vivid blue splashes of contrast.

Fourth, the hotel and room interiors are stylish as well as beautiful. The walk down the nicely decorated hallway towards the bright strip of white sand and blue ocean in front of you is unforgettable.

And fifth, the staff are special people who seem to have been hand picked for Hawaii's top hotel. We had the pleasure of meeting the friendly general manager Kelly Hoen who went out of her way to spend time talking. How many GMs do you see walking around a hotel, let alone meet?

We were lucky enough to dine at the memorable Azure restaurant overlooking the beach, and that alone is a story worth telling - a seafood restaurant where the buyers bid for the freshest produce at 5.30 every morning at Hawaii's famous fish market. The wine list is terrific but it's hard to go past one of their superb pina coladas as you look out over the curve of Waikiki Beach all the way up to Diamond Head.

We've stayed at and loved the Moana Surfrider before (also a Starwood property) and this timme also checked out the Halekulani, but that was more expensive and for us, not a patch on the grandeur and history of the Royal Hawaiian.

Thanks so much for making this our best holiday ever.

4 Thank Manager_Janet
New Jersey
Reviewed July 20, 2010

though you would think Royal Hawaiin was not one of the newest hotels, it was byfar the most relaxing. Waiikki is a very busy city and some of the hotels seem like Grand Central Station with so many people in their lobbies that it is stressful just walking around. The Royal Hawaiian just doesn't feel that way, it has a relaxed atmosphere and is right in the heart of everything. you need to park in paid parking and walk to the hotel which is a pain. the pool is a bit small but it's heated and is nice. the beach is beautiful. Watch out for the breakfast which is a total rip-off----$19 for a small plate of fruit, $13 for a bagel. As a family of four, our breakfast was over $130 and so we never ate breakfast there again. would stay there again as the other hotels were just too busy.

3 Thank belle d
MVLUN
Reviewed July 19, 2010

After checking out at the Marriott Ko'Olina Villas 3 days early to stay here, my teenagers were excited. We had two rooms, One at the historical garden view which I recommend. (newly remodeled) and mine was at the Tower with balcony ocean front. I first had a smoking room which the front desk switch since I had a child with asthma. The hotel ground is very quaint, but nothing impressive. I had to ask for my banana bread 3 times, and finally delivered around 7:45 pm. No turn down service. I notice that the cleaning carts had extra amenities including a shower gel which I never received. I guess this hotel is fine if all you need is a room and a bed. There was nothing special about staying here. The bed and pillows were not comfortable. The air condition was noisy which also kept my up. I had to go downstairs to fight for beach chairs at 5:30 am and wait for the umbrellas around 6:00 am. It is not my type of vacation, so I will stay elsewhere next time. We did eat at the Halekulani Hotel. Unfortunately, the hotel was booked when I called to make a reservations the last minute since we left Ko Olina Marriott Villas early. Even the pool was very small, but the Sheraton Waikiki next door was open to guest at the Royal Hawaiian. We are a Starwood members, and I did use points for one room, and paid for the Tower room. Like I said, this hotel is just not for me.

1 Thank MVLUN