4,265 results
All reviewsthe mai tai barthe pink palacemailani towerbanana breadsurf lanaiazure restaurantpink ladyhistoric sectionsheraton poolwaikiki beachgarden viewbeach boyshistoric roomsoriginal buildingiconic hotelbeach staffbeach chairs
Reviewed February 26, 2010

My husband and I have been to Oahu several times over the years but had never stayed at the famous Royal Hawaiian Hotel right on Waikiki Beach. I had always wanted to stay at this very famous and historic old hotel. My husband knew this and wonderful man that he is he booked us here.

First I have to say it was difficult to find even though it was right in the heart of Waikiki. We rented a car with a GPS and amazingly the GPS didn't show the hotel. I mean, this is the oldest hotel in Hawaii and the GPS couldn't find it. We knew it was right in the heart of Waikiki so we just headed there determined to locate it. We followed the signs and yet we still had trouble finding it. It is kind of "tucked away" off a side road. Once we found it we were greeted very warmly by the valet staff. Everyone we encountered that worked at this hotel was very friendly. Upon checking in we were given a lovely beverage which was very nice.

We wanted an oceanview room and were booked into the "newer" part of the hotel, in the tower. The room itself was not very large and honestly, I have to admit, I was slightly disappointed in the decor. The room just seemed a little dated, there was nothing wrong with the room, it was certainly clean but for the price you pay to stay at this hotel I guess I was expecting something really special, and this just wasn't. It was just an average to nice hotel room. The view from the balcony was amazing when you stood up to look over, the only downside to that is sitting down, in your chairs on the balcony the ledge was so high you couldn't see the ocean? There were pretty flowers planted around the ledge which was nice. Okay, I know it seems as though I am complaining about everything, right? Why did I title my review Overall a lovely place then?

The grounds of this hotel were amazing. So was the lobby and the older part of the hotel. It truly is a beautiful place. The room itself was just not beautiful. We were given the famous pink robes and they were very nice. We walked around the grounds and were very impressed with how lovely it was. Very peaceful and relaxing. The pool area is small but my husband and I don't swim or lie in the sun so that was not a big thing to us. We loved that it was right on Waikiki beach which was nice as so many restaurants and bars were all within walking distance. We went to Duke's Canoe Club a couple of times for drinks and that was very close by. The location of this hotel can't be beat!

Overall our visit to the Royal Hawaiian was a nice one, and I would return absolutely. I would just go into it a little wiser, not expecting so much for what you pay for. I think you are paying for the fact that it is such an old, historic place.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tamstrat
Reviewed February 22, 2010

I was here during the memorial day weekend in 09. My experience was good enough that when I returned again during labor day weekend to Hawaii, I returned to this hotel. I would say I'm a fairly none picky person when it comes to a hotel as long as it's quiet and clean. The hotel pool is rather small. But who the heck wants to use the pool when you have the Pacific Ocean in front to swim in??? The hotel has a nice rope off area on the beach that you can reserve by putting a hotel towel on it early in the morning. It's a first come first serve. Since I was coming in from SF, I was easily up by 6-7AM Hawaiian time so it was not a problem reserving a lounge chair on the beach. I would imagine it's not a problem for most of the Mainland folks. There are couple minor gripes. This hotel does not have its own gym. I have to walk to the Sheraton next door to use theirs. It's not far but it would be nice if they had one in the hotel. Also the hallway seems to have some musky smell. I imagine it's inevitable because people are wet when they come back from the beach and water drips on the carpet = smelly carpet. Probably happens to all the hotels on the beach. No big deal. The room is of good size. The ceiling is high. They recently renovated so the room was very fresh. The bathroom is quite compact. It's nicely decorated with marble, etc. It would be nice if it's bigger but definitely not a deal breaker for me. The first time my bathroom had a tub. The second time it was just shower. Since I don't use tub, it's not a big deal for me either way. I would imagine most ladies like to have an option of using the tub so make sure you tell the receptionist when you check in. I never ate at their restaurant so not sure what kind of service you would receive there. I did have a mai tai and a burger at their mai tai bar. It was a bit expensive (but I expected it in a hotel like this so no big deal). You can bring non alcoholic drink to your lounge chair on the beach. I think they are forbidden to serve you alcohol on the sand. The staff was really nice and helpful. I used the concierge service to book some tours. They were helpful. Overall I would say it's a great hotel. I would not hesitate to stay here again (I guess that's kinda obvious since this is my second stay with them within a year).

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank kevinh73
Reviewed February 22, 2010

When I think of paradise, the Royal Hawaiian comes to mind.

The Royal Hawaiian is very romantic, nestled among the trees along Kalakaua Avenue. There are beautiful rooms with amazing veiws of the blue ocean and Diamond Head. It is located right on Waikiki beach with access to shopping and restaurants.

The staff were very polite and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2010

It was lovely to check into the Royal Hawaiian on Valentine's Day. A wonderful junior suite was waiting for us (me and husband) upon arrival and we were surprised how big it was. It consisted of a large bedroom and living room & a smaller size (but adequate) bathroom, all of them decorated with shades of pink and green. The views were towards the lush gardens.

My husband specially liked the second TV in the living room with the video player and the surround system. The big bed was comfy and the empty fridge could be filled with our own drinks (free bottles of water were given to us every day). Inside the wardrobe two fluffy, and of course pink, bath robes were waiting for us.

The hotel itself never felt crowded, and the staff were very helpful. When our toilet was blocked it was fixed within 10 minutes from phoning the housekeeping. We had a minor accident in the Mai Tai bar, a waitress bumped into our table and the contents of glasses of ice water, wine and Pina Colada fell into my lap making my clothes soaking wet. Our drinks were naturally replaced and we didn't have to pay for our dinner after that.

The pool was very, very small like some other guests have written here before. We didn't have any problems getting chairs on the beach, but we were there usually around 9 o'clock in the morning. Breakfasts in the Surf Lanai restaurant could be very expensive, we used all of our $75 credit (a nice surprise to us when we checked in!) one morning just for two breakfasts!

The hotel surroundings were lovely, I specially liked the mature gardens with lots of different birds. The hotel decor had some old fashioned charm with a modern twist. From the hotel there was just a couple of minutes walk to the Royal Hawaiian shopping centre with lots of upmarket shops and also one of the ABC shops where you can find all holiday necessities and cheap souveniers.

I could easily have spent a longer time than our 4 nights here, it was sad to leave the hotel at the end of the holiday. I would definitely recommend this holiday for everyone wanting a relaxing and luxurious stay in Honolulu and Waikiki area.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank muija
Reviewed February 19, 2010

this is a beautiful looking building, and wonderfully decorated throughout. we stayed in the main hotel. there is a less impressive block attached to the side, next to the pool.
i will just give you the facts ...
- pool is small and boring, but the sheraton next door, which you can use, is better for children, more interesting and bigger
- children's menu in the mai tai bar is too salty. the pizza is adult size
- mai tai bar food & morning breakfast not as good as we wished
- no bath, small shower & toilet
- no tea or mini bar

that's about as bad as it gets, the good points ...
- great location, on the beach, with an area sectioned off just for the Royal Hawaiian guests.
- rooms were clean and nicely decorated
- whole hotel was renovated a year ago
- main lobby and hotel surroundings very picturesque

whilst we stayed, there were weddings there, which tells you a lot about the beauty of this place.

if i had more money, i would go again

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family