Imagine my surprise when I entered a newly renovated room during our stay. While I am all for upgrades and improvements, I don't see how the recent renovation of this hotel achieved it. My first visit in 2003 was memorable. I stayed in the historic part during that visit and was struck by the beauty of the four post bed and the "old" feeling of the room. It was old in a sense of historic and elegant, and it matched the rest of the hotel. Now, I feel like the building, the grounds and the public spaces are all a facade for the generic rooms which could be found in any hotel these days. I don't understand the room rates based on this.
As far as the service goes, it started off well. The valets and everyone else all the way til we reached our room were excellent. Our breakfast was ok, the food average but not special, Eggs n Things down the street was more enjoyable. The down side to service started at the pool. In our time in a rented cabana, not once did a server come ask us if we needed anything. Another minus was that there was no information about the hotel amenities in our room. I wondered if they did away with the binders they usually have and programmed a channel on tv so you could watch what they had instead. I'd seen a second pool on the website, but didn't see anything about it the entire time we were there. It would have been nice to know where it was located. It would also have been nice to order room service if I'd known there was any.
Overall this hotel is no longer great, just average. What a shame.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1927, the iconic Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, ushered in a new era of luxurious resort travel to Hawaii. Situated in the heart of Waikiki, the hotel offers cultural activities, gold standard signature concierge service, valet parking, doctors-on-call, florist, currency exchange service, Japanese concierge, laundry and dry cleaning, dining service and world-class restaurants and bars, wireless internet access in rooms and all public areas, multi-lingual staff, 24-hour room service, business center, and beach and pool services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Starwood, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian Honolulu
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort Hawaii/Honolulu