“Only Way to Experience the Real Hawaii in Waikiki”

The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
IL, USA
“Only Way to Experience the Real Hawaii in Waikiki”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was my third stay at the Royal Hawaiian and I think this is the best hotel to experience a resort-like feeling in Waikiki. It never feels crowded at the Royal Hawaiian. It is like a haven from the crowds of Waikiki. I do enjoy Waikiki, but I like being able to feel like I can get away and the Royal Hawaiian provides that. The service was awesome, the check-in and pool staff always friendly. Yes, the pool is small, but it also not crowded in the pool and we were able to find seats, sometimes with a little patience, but it was better than most resorts I've stayed at. The beach is awesome and can't be beat on Waikiki. The food is expensive, but the shopping center is a short walk away and we often got our lunches from the food court in the mall (great choice and quality with unique local foods.)Of course, sometimes you have to splurge and the food we got was awesome. Our room was spacious and well-appointed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
RHCoordinator, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Umechan,
We are delighted to see that you enjoyed a wonderful vacation with us here at The Royal Hawaiian. Thank you for taking the time to share your many kind remarks regarding our resort and service. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Warmest aloha,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (902)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Montreal
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is the grand old dame of hotels in Waikiki. Expect to pay a hefty price, and prepare to be in a crowded place. The architecture, entrance and garden are simply exquisite. It is a photo op hotel---an opportunity not missed by the Japanese honeymooners. There is a nice smallish swimming pool but the chairs around it are a battlefield---some get up at 6am just to make sure that their chair will be theirs by 10am. Chair umbrellas on the beach run 40 dollars per day. The rooms are below par for a hotel of this grandeur---so small, in fact, that the closet for clothes is in the bathroom---not exactly the place to keep them dry.

There is wifi at 35 dollars per day---it works well in the main area and the garden rooms, but is pathetic in the (more expensive) beachfront "tower" rooms---the connection is lost about every second minute.

Room Tip: There are beachfront rooms in the renovated "Tower". They are much more expensive than the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank LucDevroye
Dear LucDevroye,
Thank you for taking a moment to share comments regarding your recent stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. It's always delightful to hear the appreciation our guests have for our historic building, so thank you very much for sharing. We do apologize however that our room accommodations and beach and pool offerings did not completely meet your needs and we thank you for bringing this to our attention. We hope to have the wonderful opportunity to welcome you back again.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I was fortunate to be a guest at the Royal Hawaiian on my first trip to Hawaii. The Royal Hawaiian reminds me of the Del Coronado and the Brown Palace, historic hotels with beautiful woodwork, crystal and floral carpets. Wooden rocking chairs face a park-like square one one exit from he lobbey while another leads to the Mai Tai Bar and the beach with its pink umbrellas. It could easily be 1934 not 2014. It is an older hotel but it has aged with grace and beauty. My friends were here to be married on the beach and the hotel sent up chocolate-covered strawberries and pink champagne. The room wasn't huge but it had a wonderful view of the beach. I could listen to the waves as I fell asleep in the beautiful bed while the wooden ceiling fan turned overhead. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. Sipping a piña colada from a fresh pineapple at the Mai Tai Bar while listening to Hawaiian music was a wonderful start to an unforgettable vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
RHCoordinator, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear LindaW2009,
We are so delighted to learn that you enjoyed an exceptional vacation with us here at The Royal Hawaiian. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your many kind remarks regarding our resort. It is always wonderful to when we hear that our guests share our appreciation for the resorts historic charm and ambiance. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 20, 2014

So my family stayed at the Royal Hawaiian in late June for three days and the place is gorgeous! Rooms were spacious and clean and the grounds are amazing. You can't beat the location - right on Waikiki beach and then it backs up Kalakua ave with all the shops and restaurants. The pool is nice but small and the restaurant is facing the beach. I give it a Poor because the service was really bad - all over - at the restaurant I actually had to find the waiter to give him my drink order and then I had to continue to chase him down (it actually took awhile to figure out which waiter I had). Other people actually started walking out. This was for lunch and we had a similar experience at breakfast. When I was sitting at the pool I had to flag down the waiter who was far more interested in serving the females in bikinis than me (a forty something male!). Turn down service knocked on our door at 9:30 at night - when I was in bed just about to go to sleep. I can't imagine a hotel with this awful service can stay in business so I'm assuming that maybe they had some unexpected employee turnover or a new Manager who has no idea what he or she is doing. So if you stay there, I suggest going off the property for food and drink!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Larry J
Dear Larry J,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian. We regret to learn that your trip did not meet your expectations and we apologize for our shortfalls in service delivery. Our team is trained to provide exceptional service and we are disappointed that this was not the case during your stay. Please know that we've shared your review with our team to ensure that these areas of opportunity are addressed and enhanced. We again apologize that we fell short in our service delivery promise. Thank you again for your feedback and time.
Mililani, Hawaii
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Our family used to spend Christmas week at the Pink Lady on Waikiki Beach when my celloson was little and performed with the Honolulu Boy Choir. It had been years since I'd been back.

This week, I had two conferences on successive days in Waikiki and just couldn't make myself face the second worst traffic jam in the US for four trips in a row.

I decided to book a room at the Royal Hawaiian. I was not disappointed. The service is friendly and attentive, the hotel looks great after the year-long renovation and I was able to get some much needed rest and relaxation.

My room looked out on Waikiki, was tastefully appointed and very clean and comfortable. The beds deserve a special mention. They are just great.

I went down to the beachside bar to watch the sunset and had a beverage and lovely fresh fish sushi. I ordered dinner in my room as I had some writing to do and was rewarded with an excellent Big Island seafood salad that included a quarter local lobster tail. There was fresh bread and a pretty good house chardonnay.

My wife and I are going back for the next three day weekend as a special treat.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms in the old building are the best. Great atmosphere.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Cellodad
Dear Cellodad,
We are so thrilled to learn that you enjoyed a wonderful stay with with us at The Royal Hawaiian. It is always a treat for us to welcome our kama'aina, especially knowing that our resort brings back some lovely memories for you and your family. Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your kind comments about your mini-staycation. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife for a long weekend.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 18, 2014

First time checking out Hawaii so was not sure what to expect. This hotel is very close to everything- tons of high end shopping and restaurants. Rooms are ok, not huge - and pretty pricey if you want an ocean view. The beach can get a little crowed but the water is so warm and clear - with gentle waves for perfect for learning to surf , paddle board or just float the day away. Good to note this hotel did have direct beach access while many in the area did not but the beaches are public.

Room Tip: If you are going to splurge for ocean view make sure your room is in the middle of the tower - the r...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank RJ S
Dear RJ S,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We're delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay here and we appreciate your many kind remarks. We hope to have the wonderful opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I have stayed at the Royal Hawaiian several times..... my thoughts are that this hotel is more for the Seasoned Travelor. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are very nice. They go out of their way to take care of you. he breakfast buffett is EXCELLENT. I am going there in a couple of days and we will make sure that we eat there even though we are not staying there. The only reason we are staying at the Sheraton is that a teen will be with me and there is more for him to do there. Take the time to walk through this property and have a meal there, you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ken S
Dear Ken S,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your wonderful comments about our hotel. We appreciate the time you took to share your remarks despite, and while we would have loved to welcome you back this trip, we are delighted that you're just next door at our sister property, Sheraton Waikiki. Perhaps the next time around we will have the great pleasure of welcoming back to the Pink Palace of the Pacific.