“Truly Fantastic”

Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
South San Francisco, California
“Truly Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Everything about this place is top notch, from the driver that picked us up from the airport to the staff who greet you at the front door, the check in process was easy and friendly. Rooms are remodeled and our garden view room was not huge but nicely decorated and exceptionally clean. The housekeeping staff were lovely, friendly and met all our needs. Concierge services were very helpful and I was able to play golf at Waialae CC which would be close to impossible without a good contact. The beach experience is obviously important in Waikiki and the Beach Boys of the Royal Hawaiian made it a memorable one for us. My parents were traveling with us and at 75 and 80 they welcomed the care an attention paid to them to make sure their beach loungers were well shaded and had an adequate supply of towels, water and food were also readily available.
Lastly if you want the best Mai Tai's around then go to the MaiTai bar on the beach where the service is awesome and the staff are super friendly. Diane was the standout for us, as she not only recognized us from a previous visit but took care of us almost every evening we were there and made sure that we had our drinks and food and never ran dry!
There were numerous events going on here for large groups but the place never seemed rushed and we got to enjoy many of the events activities (concerts etc.) from the MaiTai Bar.
Everyone at this place is aware that they are working in a service industry and most importantly it never felt forced, when someone said "it's my pleasure" you really felt that it was.
I'll be back!

Room Tip: I asked for rooms close to the elevator due to my parents age and on the second floor these were loo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank mikeday1962
sheratonpk, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear mikeday1962,
We're thrilled to learn that you enjoyed an exceptional vacation with us here at The Royal Hawaiian. Our team takes great pride in offering exemplary service and we're pleased that you and your family appreciate all of our efforts. It's wonderful to hear that you took advantage of our partnership with Waialae Country Club and enjoyed a day out on the links. Thank you for your kind comments regarding Diane as well; we'll certainly share this with her! We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Warmest aloha,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (869)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit to Hawaii and we were on our honeymoon. We immediately fell in love with the charm and character of the Royal Hawaiian. The resort grounds were gorgeous, and our room was beautiful as well. There was easy beach access to the beautiful Waikiki beach. There was also easy access to the Mai tai bar and restaurant, which offered amazing food and drinks each time we visited. The location was central to all of the stores. It is a really good location if you're going on tours, as we were picked up at the parking garage right next to the hotel. The service was fantastic from start to finish. I am missing this place already, we would definitely love to return!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Clgeib,
We're absolutely delighted to learn that you enjoyed a wonderful vacation with us here at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. Thank you for taking the time to share you remarks. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed at the Pink Palace for 4 nights last week, checking out on Saturday morning of April 19. Our booking package included breakfast so we received 4 sets of breakfast coupons when checking in. We can only use the coupons for only one same restaurant and the restaurant has only one same menu everyday! There were about 15 different dishes on the menu for us the choose every morning. To be honest I really had hard time to choose a dish that I really liked on the last day. Therefore if I have another chance to go back I will not stay there more than 3 nights;) The restaurant was so busy everyday no matter early or late in the morning, so you need to have enough good luck to be able to have a table located at your favorite spot in the restaurant, like a cornor where you can enjoy the view of the ocean and the diamond head.

We were very lucky to have a wonderful waiter to help us with many little things almost every morning. For examples, he was so helpful about choosing a great spot and take photo pictures for us with a beautiful background of the Pacific Ocean and Diamind Head, playing with our naughty 3 years old child, often filling up hot tea...which we could think of any other very busy waiters or waiteresses would offer to do for us. Jillian was the waiter and we really appreciate his services. He made many of our happier mornings.

Room Tip: Room 9007 on the tower side was great!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MASANORI H
RHCoordinator, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear MASANORI H,
We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian, and we truly appreciate your kind remarks regarding Julian. It's always a joy for us to hear the wonderful praises for our ambassadors and we cannot thank you enough for taking a moment acknowledge him. We also appreciate your feedback regarding the breakfast coupon and options and we have shared this with our team. We hope to welcome you back again soon to the "Pink Palace of the "Pacific."
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

I was looking forward to staying at the Royal Hawaiian with my husband next month when have a layover on our way to Moorea/ Bora Bora. I booked a room online that stated no deposit required and was so excited to stay at this historic hotel. A few days later I noticed that the full room rate was charged to my credit card already.

I called the reservations department to clarify the situation. When I tried to explain the situation to the reservations representative, they just kept telling me that I booked a fully paid rate. I know that I didn't do that because I was very careful when booking in case I changed my mind about where I wanted to stay. So after a few minutes of trying to figure out what happened, she said that she would have the reservations manager contact me.

When the reservations manager called and left a message, she called explaining that there was some kind of computer glitch that caused the system to charge my card and I would just have to call back so that they can verify and refund my card. When I called back, I spoke to another reservations representative because the manager was on the phone with someone else and the representative asked me if she would be able to help me. I explained the situation to her and she just kept insisting that my rate was booked as fully paid over and over again. I asked her if she read the notes on my account and she finally said oh, okay, well we can go ahead and refund you. I asked to speak to the manager anyway because I wanted to make sure that everything happened correctly.

I understand that system errors and computer glitches happen all the time and that's fine. But what was really bothersome was that instead of trying to help me and see what was going on, the representatives that I talked to all had argumentative attitudes and insisted that they were right and I booked the wrong room. Being a "Luxury Collection" hotel, they should be better trained in excellent customer service.

I still have the reservation with the Royal Hawaiian but am definitely going to be looking for somewhere else to stay because I'm already so dissapointed with their customer service and I don't really want to think about that on my honeymoon.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Tracey Z
Dear Tracey Z,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent booking with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We truly appreciate your detailed description of the billing issues experienced and we apologize for the inconvenience and frustration caused by this reservation system. We've sent you private message requesting for your reservation information so that our team can see to it that your stay with us is exceptional.
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Definitely stay in the Royal Hawaiian Tower. The hotel is very old and the rooms in the main section aren't all that great. People want the ocean views mainly, so the tower has the best views, with balconies! The hotel needs a complete make over. Room service was so fast. Faster than going to their restaurant. Our trip was great otherwise. I surfed, we chilled at the beach. Waikiki beach is beautiful with shallow water and fine sand.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room in the tower facing the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Thea B
Dear Thea B,
Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian. We regret to learn that aspects of our resort did not meet your expectations, however we appreciate your feedback regarding your overall experience. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

If the desire is to stay and enjoy the hustle and bustle of Waikiki this is a great place to stay. The access to the beach is fast. The main shopping street is close by. The grounds have a lot of tropical green. The hotel is a busy place with functions, many guests, still maintaing a rather quiet feel, once the activities calm down. Always happy to go there again. Room tower and higher floor, for the ocean view. Best thing to do, get a board and out into the ocean for a day surfing.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Gogohan
Dear Gogohan,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian. We're happy to learn that you enjoyed a lovely vacation with us and we look forward to welcoming you back for another vacation at the "Pink Palace of the Pacific."
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

This hotel is expensive, but it is beautiful. . .the atmosphere and ambiance gives you a feeling of royalty. It is a very old hotel, but well kept. . .it has a lot of "class". The local people often have dinner functions in the Royal Dining Room. The ocean view is gorgeous. It is also located in the heart of Waikiki, but you cannot see the hotel from Kalakaua Avenue (it's set-back behind the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center). If you can't stay at the hotel, drop by to have lunch or walk around the grounds.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rainbow50
RHCoordinator, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Rainbow50,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your comments regarding our resort. We take great pride in our stewardship of this historic hotel and iconic area and we cannot thank you enough for sharing you appreciation of our efforts. Please, come again soon!