My husband, son and I stayed one night on two ocean front rooms at this property - prior to boarding a Hawaiian cruise. The view from our adjoining ocean front tower rooms was spectacular. We were eager to stay at this grand dame of a property, but it's in need of a few cosmetic lifts.
First, after a 10 hour flight having to wait in line for more than 20 minutes to check in was a little disconcerting, especially as there were unmanned desks. Had I not had the time to stand and look around I'm sure I'd not have noticed the frayed and separating rug in the check in area - it's big and clearly once was beautiful. I tried to keep my eyes on the lush courtyard but it wasn't easy. We got to our rooms and were more than ready to freshen up before a walk on the gorgeous beach and dinner. I was surprised by the things overlooked in the room: a beautifully carved wood bed tray was placed on the bed but was covered in a thick layer of dust; the bathroom had an updated sink and vanity and fancy commode (to appeal to the Japanese tourists especially) but the tub/shower combo is circa 1975. I know oriental guests stayed previous to us in our room because to my horror their hair was in the tub- I am blonde and my husband is bald, so there was no mistaking that. Dust covered the phone and around the tv, too. For the price I expect a clean room. Truly.
The banana muffins brought to us were wonderful and again I couldn't rave more about our ocean front views, but the lack of cleanliness in both rooms (our son's was in similar state) was disappointing.
I hope the hotel upgrades the showers to match the rest of the bathrooms, and also notes the attention needed to dusting. Not sure we would stay here again unless these improvements are made - there are plenty of other options. Based on the view and old charm I wanted to love this stay - left a little disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1927, the iconic Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, ushered in a new era of luxurious resort travel to Hawaii. Situated in the heart of Waikiki, the hotel offers cultural activities, gold standard signature concierge service, valet parking, doctors-on-call, florist, currency exchange service, Japanese concierge, laundry and dry cleaning, dining service and world-class restaurants and bars, wireless internet access in rooms and all public areas, multi-lingual staff, 24-hour room service, business center, and beach and pool services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian Honolulu
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort Hawaii/Honolulu