I have stayed at dozens of resorts and hotels in the Islands, and I have to say that the Royal Hawaiian was the BIGGEST disappointment I've ever experienced. I'll give top ratings to the hotel staff (with the exception of the beach attendees!), the lobby/reception areas, the on-property restaurants and the Mai Tai bar ... however, EVERY other dimension of this resort was a sad experience. Our family had one room in the tower, and two-garden view rooms. The garden view rooms are HORRIBLY dated in decor, musty in smell, and have anything but a garden view. One garden room viewed the deteriorating rooftop of the garden patio/porch, the other two rusty rooftop A/C units and exterior ventilation shafts! Those rooms were VERY clean; however, the furnishings are old, the carpet and curtains are musty, and the wallcoverings are DEPRESSING! The bathroom, I must say, was expceptional! Newly updated, very clean. The tower room, was a HUGE upsell by the check-in staff, was a TOTAL LETDOWN! The room had a fabuous view and a nice size patio. However, the furnishings and linens are VERY dated. Further, there are huge masses of gathered dust on the walls and on the tops of the bedside lamps. The bathroom is horrific! The fixtures appear to be top-notch clean; however, there was an inch of dark mold on the floor moldings behind the bathroom door. It had obviously not been thoroughly cleaned in months! The pool is this hotel is almost non-existent. It's a round hole about 15 ft in diameter. And the lounging tables/chairs surrounding it are so close that it's terribly uncomfortable. The food at this hotel is exceptional, but pricey! However, every meal I had here exceeded my expectaions ... as did the service and the drinks at the world famous Mai Tai bar. Truly top-notch! Now let me get to the beach attendees .... I have never encountered a more rude, obnoxious bunch of beach-bum groupie types at a 5-star resort in my life! They were terribly un-accommodating, rude, and not attentive. The resort itself charges a non-negotiable "resort fee" $40/day to enjoy the resort amenities. BE ADVISED ... the amenities do NOT include any beach activities. When asking for a chaise chairs and covered seating, we were immediately dismissed ... and told these items are only available to registered guests, and there is a fee. We had walked up to the beach from the water, and were mistaken for passers-by as opposed to registered guests. Regardless, we were dismissed and told to stay on the public beach, and advised to go buy folding beach chairs at the ABC Store. I was totally blown away! When I tried to correct the situation with the attendee, he advised I should contact the Concierge desk if I needed to be accommodated, once they verify my being a guest! Then he very smart-assedly said "even guests pay $10 for the covered seating on the beach". I nearly decked him! All this said, and $6000 later ... I can only say I will NEVER recommend this hotel to my family nor business associates traveling to Waikiki. Post the first impression at guest reception, this hotel is a complete and total disappointment. Rather, I recommend both the Sheraton and the Moana Surfrider (both of which are neighbors to the pink disaster). They are similarly priced, cleaner, and more professionally staffed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1927, the iconic Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, ushered in a new era of luxurious resort travel to Hawaii. Situated in the heart of Waikiki, the hotel offers cultural activities, gold standard signature concierge service, valet parking, doctors-on-call, florist, currency exchange service, Japanese concierge, laundry and dry cleaning, dining service and world-class restaurants and bars, wireless internet access in rooms and all public areas, multi-lingual staff, 24-hour room service, business center, and beach and pool services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian Honolulu
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort Hawaii/Honolulu