“A touch of paradise”

Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Australia
“A touch of paradise”
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

What an amazing experience from the moment we arrived to the time we checked out. The Royal Hawaiian oozes charm and character. The staff are extremely courteous, friendly and professional. We were upgraded to an amazing suite on the 2nd floor which absolutely took our breath away. Yes it's pricey but you get what you pay for...luxury. It was so lovely having such a wonderful sanctuary to escape the craziness that is Waikiki. The exclusive Mai Tai bar and beach was also just divine. We will be back.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Tilpin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (885)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed for four days. It has very impressive public areas and good, attentive staff. Rooms are good but small. What I really didn't like was the constant upselling and add on fees. A resort fee (no explanation at check in), but yet the pool area was very crowded and loungers on the beach cost us another $42 per day. Just seemed over the top. I don't mind paying top whack for good service/food/hotels, but I felt a bit taken advantage of....part of that is Hawaii in general, though.

Food was good, as was room service. Azure restaurant was excellent.

Overall it was pretty good for Waikiki beach, but still very pricey for what you get.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sicnarfer
Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2014

What dreams are made of....lavish furnishings and decor...friendly staff and you feel like you're being taken to a different world....you feel like royalty and you'll never want to leave the Royal Hawaiin....it's special...so spoil yourselves.....don't miss the opportunity of a lifetime !!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
RHCoordinator, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you, Ezio L for your wonderful review. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon to The Royal Hawaiian.
Dorado, Puerto Rico
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I've been to the Royal over 10 times. It is my favorite Oahu experience, right on Waikiki beach. Its an iconic setting with amazing views of the beach as well as dead center in the middle of all the action right between dukes and the sheraton. Its a great place for a family as you would have to try really hard to die or get swept out to sea given Waikiki is about 3-4 feet deep for at least 400 yards. Great place to surf, take the kids, or for a romantic weekend. Also a good jumping off spot if you plan on going out and enjoying Honolulu's nightlife. Strongly recommend for those who can afford it.

Room Tip: The tower has the best views of the ocean, but the main hotel has the nostalgic feel of the old hote...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
RHCoordinator, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear hausenpepper,
We're absolutely delighted to learn that you enjoyed another exceptional stay with us here at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. It's always wonderful to hear from our return guests and we're so appreciative of the time you took to share your review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I must say that I did not stay here....I wish I had, met quite a few people who did, who loved it....but I enjoyed a lovely evening at the outdoor Mai Tai bar, with some fascinating strangers, enjoyed a couple of Mai Tai - a bit pricey but not weak in alcohol - i most enjoyed the one with the ginger - also had the strawberry cake - melt in the mouth desert....

The hotel was sumptuous and glorious and luxurious and utter heaven, from the restrooms to the sitting areas and Christmas trees...I could have stayed forever.....now, having said that, I think I had the better view! I was staying at the Otani - lovely wee hotel - and my view was the downtown skyline - with the Royal being the jewel in the crown....but if I had the money- a suite at the Royal would be the way to go!!!!

Room Tip: I look forward to sleeping there in the future - and one can never go wrong with an ocean view!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yvonne M
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed February 12, 2014

What a wonderful location and insanely gorgeous hotel. Brandon at The Royal Hawaiian is there to greet you with his contagious smile. The rooms are comfy and some extremely spacious. I could take pictures here all day long.

Mahalo x

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Nrg1818
Dear Nrg1818,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. We're delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate your kind remarks regarding Brandon. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Provincetown, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 12, 2014

When I was in the corporate world, I traveled to Hawaii frequently and have hosted conferences and stayed at most of the properties in Waikiki, including the Outriggers, all the Starwood properties, the Halekalani and the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Alas, that was 10 to 20 years ago. I was planning my first trip back in over 10 years and traveling with my partner, who had never been to Hawaii. For this return trip, I chose one of my favorite hotels, the grande dame of all Waikiki hotels, the Royal Hawaiian. I have stayed in the property close to a dozen times in all types of rooms from the garden to the biggest suites in the original building and the tower. I love the Royal because its a throw-back in time and because the location is arguably the best in Waikiki. For anyone's first time visiting, I would recommend the RH, if you can afford it. It is extremely pricey, and has only gotten more pricey over time. In general, I believe the price is worth the experience, however I was turned off by management's nickel and diming policies. When I checked in, I was told that I had a "garden room", but that for $50 per day I could be upgraded to a Tower room with balcony overlooking the beach, which I agreed to take. Then I was told that there is a "resort fee" for $30 per day, which is non-negotiable and covers things like WIFI and parking (I didn't have a car). The person checking me in, who was very gracious, also gave me a coupon for two complimentary Mai Tai's at the famous Mai Tai bar. After getting settled, we went down to the pool/beach to soak up the famous Hawaiian sun, only to discover that all the chaises around the pool had towels on them (but were not occupied). No problem, we walked to the beach and spied some unoccupied chaises that we claimed. A few minutes later an attendant came over and said that the chaises would be an extra $100 for the day. When I told them I was staying at the hotel and paid the "resort fee", they said the beach chaises were not included, but that any unoccupied chaises around the pool were complimentary on a first-come basis. So we went back to the pool and found two chaises, which we claimed. A few minutes later and attendant appeared and said the chairs we chose would be an extra $100. I explained that I was told about the first-come policy, but this attendant clarified that the chaises I chose were part of the cabana, which was extra. I quickly looked around the pool and there were no other chairs available, even though there was nobody at the pool. The next morning I got up early and watched the chaises from my balcony overlooking the pool. I noticed people running out around 7 AM and throwing towels down to reserve the chairs, but then disappearing for up to 3 hours. This occurred daily. In any event, I decided to make the most of it, by taking advantage of the two complimentary Mai Tais. I went to the bar and ordered two Mai Tais, but when I went to give the bartender the coupons, I was told that the coupons did not cover these Mai Tais (which were $14), but rather they were good for two "dinky, smaller mai tais. It should be noted that I simply ordered two mai tais, I didn't specify I wanted the "complimentary ones", which I didn't know were different than other mai tais. I should note that when I stayed at the RH previously, I was periodically upgraded for free and back then the chaise lounges were included in the price of the room and there was no resort fee.

The staff is extremely friendly and gracious, albeit a bit reactive rather than proactive. Whenever I requested service, the staff was very responsive, but sometimes it was for service that should have been a bit more proactive for a five star resort (i.e. housekeeping service-- more coffee or towels, newpapers not delivered without request). Also, the robes are Frette and perhaps the best hotel robes I've ever had. The sheets are also Frette.

Again, I would recommend the RH for anyone that is going to Waikiki for the first time or for a special experience. For other visitors, I would recommend a property next that is a bit less pricey.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Bob S
Dear Bob S,
Thank you so very much for your thorough review of The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We regret to learn that your most recent experience was anything less than exceptional and we apologize for our shortcomings in regards to our service delivery, particularly in regards to your beach and pool experience. Our beach and pool chaise lounge program was initiated after feedback from guests and employees regarding challenges guests were experiencing with securing chaises throughout the day. The new program allows all guests an equal opportunity to reserve a chaise, instead of just those who wake up earlier than the rest. We do however appreciate your feedback regarding your experience, as this allows us to continue to evaluate our program to determine how we can enhance our guests' experience.

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding our welcome elixir, as this type of feedback is vital in sharing with our team to ensure our guests are properly informed on that we're providing. We are most certainly at fault for this miscommunication, and we apologize for the inconvenience this caused you.

We appreciate your honest feedback regarding your experience and we do hope you will considering joining us again.