We were lucky enough to stay nine nights in the Garden View suite. Our children (ages 9 and 6) were accommodated with a roll-in bed and converted chaise lounge - they were happy as they had the TV in their 'bedroom'. The gardens were beautiful and we delighted in seeing the hanging lanterns in the trees in the evening. We really enjoyed viewing the historical photos throughout the hotel.
I will admit the Garden View suite is more of a "roof view" (as reviewed by Dan P) but we really didn't spend enough waking hours to care. The suite is a little tired but this not a modern, minimalist, trendy hotel so it more or less adds to the charm. The carpets are looking a little tired but the room was clean and tidy. The kids were thrilled to have cable TV and we were satisfied with the amenities. For those of us with laptops, the use of the disabled powerpoint on the side of the desk would have been most useful.
Mostly, the staff at the hotel were fantastic - helpful, responsive and polite. My husband arrived the day before myself and the children, however we were still treated with a traditional lei and hearty welcome to the hotel. Coupons for Mai Tai drinks were definitely appreciated though service, even at not-so-busy times in the Mai Tai Bar, took a little effort to find. On many occasions we were overlooked to have orders taken. Azure for breakfast was super delicious. My favourite was the French toast with berry coulis but it's a tough call - eggs Benedict just as scrumptious. Our kids really enjoyed their breakfast choices. If you have young children, ask the staff for a plastic takeaway cup for their drinks though. Skim (low fat) milk is available for coffee/tea, just ask the staff.
I would suggest the bracelet making and koi fish feeding activities for the younger guests. Good fun and not too taxing. We enjoyed the use of the Sheraton pool as well (grab a chair early - it gets busy!) Would I do the luau again? Maybe. Although it was very informative, fun with nice food, it was quite expensive.
Shops and restaurants a-plenty just a stroll away and there's no lack of ABC Stores, they are fantastic and stock everything you need and didn't know that you needed. The Hawaiian Shopping Center is on the tourist strip and Peet's (just outside the Sheraton) will get you your better coffee hit, as will the Starbuck's nearby.
For a chilled-out day just head to the beach, right at the doorstep. Again, gets quite busy but it's not too 'surfy' nor deep for the kids so grown-ups can relax a little more. Nothing like stepping off the beach at sunset straight into the Mai Tai bar.
We have great memories and photos of the hotel and Hawaii in general. A fun day out in a hire car is also recommended. Ask the Concierge to organise and you will be dropped to the rental office. Sealife Park was good fun, though entry is expensive. Plenty of scenic lookouts for great photo opportunities. Cheeseburger Beachwalk thoroughly recommended - my kids have never enjoyed a burger so much, nor has their mum! Polynesian Cultural Center also recommended.
Hawaiian Airlines disappointed our entry/exit to Hawaii though. In-flight tablets, though promised when booking, were nought! Kids' meal orders must be confirmed - ours missed out on the way to Hawaii and I noticed several children without kids' meals when leaving Hawaii as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1927, the iconic Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, ushered in a new era of luxurious resort travel to Hawaii. Situated in the heart of Waikiki, the hotel offers cultural activities, gold standard signature concierge service, valet parking, doctors-on-call, florist, currency exchange service, Japanese concierge, laundry and dry cleaning, dining service and world-class restaurants and bars, wireless internet access in rooms and all public areas, multi-lingual staff, 24-hour room service, business center, and beach and pool services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian Honolulu
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort Hawaii/Honolulu