4,265 results
All reviewsthe mai tai barthe pink palacemailani towerbanana breadsurf lanaiazure restaurantpink ladyhistoric sectionsheraton poolwaikiki beachgarden viewbeach boyshistoric roomsoriginal buildingiconic hotelbeach staffbeach chairs
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My husband decided to surprise me for Christmas with a trip to Hawaii. We visit Hawaii often so he booked the Royal Hawaiian remembering that on the last visit I mentioned wanting to stay here. I guess we were lucky to get a room here for 2 nights then we moved to the Sheraton. The hotel is beautiful as was our room, it was small & there was no lanai but we did have a great view. The staff in every aspect of the hotel are wonderful, everyone has a smile on their face & are helpful. The shower was an issue for me since it was so small the water ran out all over the floor so we had to use most of our towels to keep the floor dry. The main areas of the hotels are wonderful, spacious & comfortable. The lobby bathrooms could have been cleaned a little more often. The grounds here are gorgeous & the hotel is in a great location. The pool is small & you need to get down early to reserve a chair. Beach chairs & umbrellas come at a cost & have to be reserved so there may not be anything available the first day of your vacation. The "Beach Boys" were very accommodating. It has taken me this long to write a review because of my disappointment in the hotel & I didn't want to write anything negative.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tina F
RHCoordinator, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Tina F,
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest review of The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We truly regret to learn that you time with us was anything less than exceptional. We apologize for the inconvenience caused due to the issues with the shower and we appreciate your feedback on this as well as the lobby restrooms. Our team is trained to deliver the excellent service and products that you expect and deserve, and we truly apologize for our shortcomings during your stay. Thank you again for your honest feedback.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

OK, giving this place 1 star is a bit draconian, but, I give it based on the fact that they claim to not only be a 5 star hotel, but also one of the best 100 hotels in the world. I thus expect the little things to be superb.

Its the little things like the below, that you accept in a 4 star hotel, but not a place claiming to be one of the top 100 hotels in the world.

1) waiting 5 minutes for the valets to stop chit chatting so I could give them my car.
2) My welcome "lay" half heartedly given to me
3) Waiting 10 minute for the concierge, while the head concierge was chit chatting with an old friend
4) The elevator to the "tower" can only be described as "Skanky". (It was dark and dirty). It also failed to open on arriving at the ground floor.
5) Bring nickel and dimed to death, even after paying a $35 resort fee.
6) Trash from the previous guest being under the bed
7) The drain pipe falling out of the sink
8) the ater pressure in the shower was weak.
9) The sand shower, the location of the faucets were highly awkward. Obvious that somebody had put it in without any thought or checkin on the use.
10) A swimming pool not big enough to swim in
11) Complimentary tea that was warm.. This is a real pet piece, a 5 star hotel should really know that tea drinkers need their water boiling, not luke warm.
12) The best. Slippers for the room, but only up to size 8. Guess they recon men don't wear slippers.

So there you have it. Wont be rushing back to this place, particularly at the prices they charged for a so called ocean view that was obstructed.

Room Tip: If in the tower, don't be on floor 5, 8. 11 or 14. They all seem to have tiny balcony's
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank David B

Dear David B,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thorough and honest review of The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We regret to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, however we truly appreciate your honest feedback regarding your experience. Please know that your comments have been shared with our management team to ensure proper follow-up and care is taken to ensure your concerns are addressed and improved upon. We've sent you a private message requesting for the particular room number for the room in which you stayed, as numbers 6-8 appear to be referring to the room. Again, we truly value this honest feedback as well as the time you took to share your comments.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Love this beach and all it is about. Honolulu is liking being in the Gold coast of Chicago with a great beach though for swimming and surfing. This hotel is right on the beach. The hotel's service is fantastic and the shopping that is right out your door well like I said if you like the Gold Coast of Chicago this is it.....

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Tina W,
We're thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your time with us at The Royal Hawaiian and the warm Hawaiian waters fronting our resort. Thank you for our enthusiastic comments regarding our service and location; we truly appreciate this. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Couldn't justify the money we spent for our room while the location was good the hotel itself wasn't all that amazing nor was our room it was very average with little 'wow factor'. Prime position though!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
1  Thank Jade S

Dear Jade S,
We truly regret to learn that you recent stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort did not meet your expectations. We apologize that we did not deliver the outstanding service and products you expect and deserve. We've sent you a private message should you feel inclined to share more details and suggestions on how we can elevate our services to ensure you receive the 'wow factor' that you most certainly deserve from The Royal.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I booked 6 nights at the Royal Hawaiian for December 27 through January 2 and paid $1000 a night (including taxes and resort fee) and this hotel DID NOT measure up to other 5 star hotels that I've have stayed at which included Halekulani, Four Seasons at Hualalai, and Ritz Carlton. On our first day at the Royal Hawaiian, my daughter and I went to pickup towels for the pool or beach and asked for assistance in locating a chair, there were 4 attendants standing around and none of them made any attempt to help us in that regards. The only communication exchanged between us was that the beach chairs were fully booked and if there was a chair available by the poolside it would be towel free. This response was so unexpected because our past experience has been that someone helps us in locating or setting up a chair. So, WHY am I even being charged a resort fee when I couldn't get a chair by the pool or beach?

My other concern about the hotel is the noise level. When I made my room purchase online, I signed up for a garden view room @ $875 (not including hotel tax 4.7% general excise tax, occupancy tax 9.25%, and daily resort fee $35.00). But when we checked in, the reservationist upgraded us to an "Ocean View" room which we thought was wonderful. BUT, the problem was that the room overlooked the Mai Tai Bar and the communal luau area with stage. One night it was a luau and new year's eve was dancing and loud singing until 12:45 am in the morning. I would have preferred my garden view to the "Ocean View" and I'm upset that the reservationist was trying to pull the wool of my eyes.

Not only was the outside noise level extreme, I could hear the guy snoring in the adjacent room. Can you believe how thin the walls are?

For money we spent, the accommodations et al was not worth it. Poor service and limited resources.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank May N

Dear May N,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and concerns regarding your recent stay at The Royal. We truly regret to learn that your stay was anything less than exceptional and we are quite disappointed to learn of our noted shortcomings in our beach and pool service. Our ambassadors are trained to provide excellent service and your experience was certainly not what you expected or deserved, and we are truly sorry for this. Additionally, we apologize for the noise levels experienced in the upgraded room and we apologize that our front desk ambassador did not properly communicate the various events occurring at the resort that could be hear from your room. We appreciate your honest feedback and have shared it with our management team, as we continually seek ways to elevate our guest experience. Thank you again.