We stayed 1week at the Royal Hawaiian, for our 10th wedding anniversary so we left the kids at home. The hotel has lots of history and its great they have kept many original features. We had a very warm reception upon arrival despite arriving at 7am after a delayed flight. The wheelchair accessible room we booked was in the original part of the hotel so this meant the rooms were smaller than in new tower addition, they were nicely furnished but you couldn't swing a cat. We did have a few space issues especially as we were travelling with a medical hoist and other medical equipment. Most hotels usually keep the larger rooms for accessible ones but this was small in comparison to other rooms on the same floor according to the map.
THe beach was beautiful, and the Mai Tai bar was the perfect spot for a cocktail. The hotel charges $32 inc tax resort fee. But this did not include the use of the sun beds on the beach which seemed strange for a beachside resort. The sun beds on the beach could only be hired as a pair at a cost of $50 for the day, we found this excessive considering you we're not even allowed to enjoy a cocktail whilst on the beach. The hotel had a strict no alcohol on the beach policy, as this was said to be the law on Waikiki, however we witnessed daily other tourists just bringing their own beers/alcohol on the beach themselves, away from the hotel.
The pool was lovely but very small and crowded, you could never get a sunbed near the pool until late afternoon, and it was full of young children, which isn't really a negative in itself as we usually take our children away, but there is not an adults only pool. We were told that we could use the facilities in the other sheraton hotels either side of our hotel but the only exclusion was the adults only pool! So for a luxury resort if your looking for a quite peaceful escape where you can relax in the sun with a cocktail you unfortunately can't do it here, which is a real shame as its a lovely hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1927, the iconic Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, ushered in a new era of luxurious resort travel to Hawaii. Situated in the heart of Waikiki, the hotel offers cultural activities, gold standard signature concierge service, valet parking, doctors-on-call, florist, currency exchange service, Japanese concierge, laundry and dry cleaning, dining service and world-class restaurants and bars, wireless internet access in rooms and all public areas, multi-lingual staff, 24-hour room service, business center, and beach and pool services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Starwood, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian Honolulu
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort Hawaii/Honolulu