“A fantastic start to our Hawaiian experience”

The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #22 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We only stayed here for a couple of days before we went on a cruise but the experience was wonderful. We stayed in a garden view room which was beautifully decorated, the bed and pillows were amazing best sleep. I want one of the pillows. Centrally located so close to shops and food you really are in the thick of Waikiki , but we didn't notice any traffic noise due to the mall in front of the hotel. We had difficulty getting into our room the card wouldn't work but the front desk went out of their way to fix the problem quickly and we were given a complimentary breakfast for our inconvenience and a bottle of champagne .The little added extras like fresh banana bread and chocolates orchid lai etc all made this a memorable stay.The food was fantastic we had several meals at the bar near the beach try the tasting platter with coconut shrimp ribs sushimi it was really delicious and the Mai tais were good too. The breakfast was also delicious with a great range of different choices.
I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We were offered an upgrade but preferred to stay in the an garden view room for the decoration if th...
1  Thank Aussietripper11
RHCoordinator, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Aussietripper11,
We are delighted to learn that you had a memorable experience on your recent visit with us here at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the key cards and appreciate your patience with our front desk while they resolved the issue. Our Mai Tai Bar is indeed a lovely place to enjoy a drink and some appetizers and we're thrilled that you had the opportunity to experience this renowned beach front bar. We look forward to extending our signature hospitality to you on your next visit to the "Pink Palace of the Pacific."
Warm regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,928)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I have been staying at the RH a couple of times a year for over 15 years. It's not the property it once was. Out last stay (2012) was a real disappointment, they'd turned the beach chairs over to the Waikiki Beach Services, and this has altered the private beach area in front of the hotel in a very negative way. I don't mind the charging for chair/umbrellas, $40 a day is a nit and not important. The negativity is the lack of people in that area, it used to a lively area where you could meet other guests, get together later for a drink, etc. Now it is a dead zone. We rented chairs one day to try it out, I recall 5 paris of chairs were occupied, it's like a ghost beach. Staff were still nice, many of them know us and are friendly and out going.

Room Tip: Get something facing the beach.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rich C

Dear Rich C,
Thank you for your longtime loyalty to Starwood and The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We truly appreciate your continued loyalty, and as you can imagine we are disappointed to learn that your most recent visit with us was anything less than exceptional. Your feedback regarding the beach experience is very valuable, especially because of your familiarity with the area prior to some of our more recent updates. We hope your will give us another opportunity to extend our signature hospitality; we'd like nothing more than to continue to help you and your wife createlasting memories of your time here at the Royal.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

The setting for The Royal Hawaiian is wonderful; it is very elegant over viewing the beach. We spent the night at the Royal for our anniversary. We live in Honolulu so this was a treat. Service was very attentive and pleasant. We were upgraded to a small suite in the original building. Every room door has the original carved Koa door which was amazing. The only issue was the room had a slight smell of old cigarette smoke.
For the location it was well worth the price and we would return for special occasions.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank manoabob
RHCoordinator, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear manoabob,
We're delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We're also honored that you chose The Royal Hawaiian to celebrate your anniversary. We apologize for the lingering smell of cigarette smoke in your room and have sent you a private message requesting for your room number so that our housekeeping team can adddress this immediately. We hope to welcome you again soon at the Pink Palace of the Pacific.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

After an awesome stay in 2012, we decided to stay at the Royal Hawaiian again this year. Although we very much enjoyed our trip, unfortunately, it was lacking a bit as compared to last year.

Upon arrival, the lady that handled our check in was civil but certainly not particularly friendly. Our prior experience was completely the opposite, so it must depend entirely on who you get. Our stay was for our anniversary and I admit that I test hotels in how they handle events - it is such an easy way to develop goodwill that I never understand why hotels miss such easy opporunities. I had indicated we were here to celebrate but unlike last year, barely an acknowledgement much less the awesome upgrade we received last year.

We booked the Garden View Suite (which we stayed in the first visit and loved). The room was very nice and the bed was extremely comfortable. It is nice to have the extra space, however, the bathroom is quite small - there is also a powder room but both are a bit small and no tub in either. Bear in mind that virtually no rooms at the hotel have balconies which I missed but knew what we were getting.

We used both the beach services and the pool area which were both nice. The chaises and umbrellas on the beach do cost extra, but you can get chairs in certain areas around the pool for free. The spa was also nice.

We really do like the hotel but were both just a little disappointed. It was probably just because we had a really great stay at our prior hotel.

2  Thank SarahInSoCal

Dear SarahInSoCal,
Thank you for choosing to return to The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort for your anniversary. We truly regret to learn that your stay was anything less than exceptional, and especially for this momentous occasion for you and your husband. One of the unique qualities of our hotel's historical Spanish-Moorish architectural design is that no two rooms in our historical building are the same. In some cases, such as yours, this is not always to the liking of a guest who is surprised to find their rooms on subsequents visits to be different each time. We apologize that this nuance was not shared with you prior. This historical architecure is also the reason many of our rooms in the historical building do not have balconies, which seems unusual in Hawaii. At the time of the hotel's construction, travelers where arriving by ship; and after long sea voyages to the islands, guests preferred garden facing rooms sans balconies instead of rooms that opened to the fresh island sea breezes. Our Ocean Tower was built later and offers rooms with sweeping ocean views and balconies. We're delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time at the pool and Abhasa Spa. Again, we value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to provide your review. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you to The Royal Hawaiian.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I loved the location of this hotel for the purpose of our visit. It was so easy to walk to a number of things and very nice access to the beach. The room was a little dark for my taste in a resort hotel room but it is a historic hotel and I appreciate that this just wasn't the way it was built. I did think the rest of the hotel was beautiful and really enjoyed sitting on the porch and having a glass of wine. We had dinner one evening at Azure and both the food and the service were excellent. I would highly recommend this restaurant; it was one of the best on the island.

My extreme disappointment with this hotel came with the non existent service in the pool area and the service at the Mai Tai Restaurant. The first day we sat at Mai Tai, we waited over 15 minutes for someone to take our drink order. Once he took our drink order, he did not return with our drinks until he returned with our food 30 minutes later. We never received the check we had to go to the bar to get this. The following day we tried it again. I went directly to the bar and ordered my drink. I then sat at a table to so we could order lunch and a bottle of wine. I was told by Fi, a waitress there that I could not sit at a table if I ordered a drink from the bar. I explained to her that we were ordering lunch and bottle of wine. She insisted that I needed to get up and that I had to return to the bar if I wanted service. I refused to do this because it was a ridiculous request. She would not wait on me and I had to ask for assistance from another waitress. For a Starwood Luxury Collection property I could not believe this service. The Mai Tai Bar is the only place in the hotel as far as I know to get service from 2-5 and because this service is so poor I do not think I will return to this property. It is such a shame that the management would allow this area to operate so poorly because the rest of the hotel provides excellent service.

3  Thank Holidayplaza
RHCoordinator, Director of Food & Beverage at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear Holidayplaza,
Thank you for the kind words on your dinner at Azure. I agree, in my biased opinion, that Azure is one of the best dining experiences on island. Like your evening at Azure, all of our food and beverage experiences should come highly recommended and to have the type of service that you encountered at the Mai Tai bar is inexcusable and for that I sincerely apologize. I also want to thank you for providing valuable feedback with which to coach the service at the Mai Tai bar. You can rely that I have addressed the staff of the Mai Tai bar, on both of your visits, and specifically with your server as her handling of your situation and refusal of service is counterintuitive to our training here at the Mai Tai bar. If there is a way to regain your confidence please let me be of further assistance via direct message. Again, we truly value your feedback and appreciate the time you took to provide an honest review of your experience.
Jim W.
Director of Food & Beverage
The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have been coming to this resort for ten years. This is our 5th stay. The service has gone downhill. The hallways are dirty. The clientele has become more in the party mode.( loud neighbors every night. We stay in the tower which are the most premium rates. The pool is over crowded and you have the fight over the chairs to get a good seat. They charge $45 a day to sit on the beach in a lawn chair. People off the beach(not staying here) come in and use the pool and hot tub. Someone vomited in the poolside bathroom and they smell awful. It is over priced and not worth the premium price they charge anymore. Poolside burger and fries 25 and salad 35. The hotel does have character but that is the best quality.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lori U

Dear Lori U,
Thank you so very much for your loyalty to The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort.. It is with much regret that we've learned that your recent visit with us was anything less than exceptional. We truly appreciate your honest feedback regarding your experience at our pool and we've shared this with the Pool & Beach services managers for immediate follow-up and improvment. Our beach umbrella and chaise lounge rentals were recently initiated as a way assuage challenges our pool service ambassadors and guests experienced due to early morning chair holds and negative feedback we recieved by those who were unable to wake early for a chair, or who had to give up their chair when they decided to leave the beach for lunch. We again would like to thank you for your loyalty and hope to have another opportunity to welcome you to the Pink Palace of the Pacific.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Iconic yes, elegant yes, over priced yes. Compared to other hotels on the strip is not great value for money. We were really surprised when we asked about using a lay low and umbrella on the beach front and were told it would be an additional cost over and above what we already thought was expensive for a room without a view.

Room Tip: Check out what else is available for the price before you decide.
8  Thank Russell T