“The royal is expensive but fabulous-except the pool and spa close everyday at 6pm and the garden area on the beach is usually 'o”

The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We just returned from our 4 night stay at the royal. The location is fantastic, beautiful old building. It's expensive and once u get there u still need to pay for any 'extras' such as $50 for beach chairs-which on the website says it includes beach boy services such as drink service and spritzing-that didnt happen? The service at the front desk wasn't amazing-I sometimes felt they were acting a bit snobby. Food at there restaurant was great, difficult to get a booking but service there was mostly good. When we go back to Hawaii we will visit again for breakfast but won't book accommodation. It was also our 10 year anniversary so they gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne that was nice. In all, it was a nice hotel, full of history that was great to see, but expensive and I was disappointed in some aspects of the customer service.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank LK1989
Write a ReviewReviews (3,930)

Reviewed May 28, 2013

we spent five days and nights at the Royal Hawaiian the second week in February 2013. It was a great experience. The service is what you would expect, especially the food service at the pool.

The breakfast at the hotel was expensive, but the food was good.

The only thing that was disappointing was that we would have liked to have stayed several more days, but the hotel was full.

I would recommend the Royal Hawaiian, great service and super location on the beach.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wise29
Reviewed May 27, 2013

we went here for our Honeymoon, and it did not disappoint. This hotel is centrally located on Waikiki beach. Easy to get to other locations on the beach. It is next to the Royal Hawaiian Center which is a four story outdoor luxury shopping mall with a food court and coffee bars.

The hotel was always clean with amazing views that are amazing. It's such a beautiful hotel and anyone who has traveled to Oahu knows this is the ultimate, luxury hotel. A must stay for a honeymoon, or anniversary.

1  Thank Grady C
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We have been to Honolulu many times before and this time we decided to treat ourselves to TRH.
Check in was seamless..we loved the banana bread and welcome drinks.
The room(we chose one in the new section with a lanai) was a decent size.
The bathroom was spacious and the Japanese toilet was interesting.
I found the room attendant not so fantastic.
We had drinks in our room on the first night and it took 2 days for the used glassware to be replaced.
We also had to ring for amenities to be replaced like water and toiletries..surely this should be part of the daily service of the room.
We accidentally left the DND on the door the first afternoon so we missed the nightly turn down..though through the rest of the stay we made sure it was not on the door and still no one came to do a turn down.Really disappointing as when you have an expectation it's much worse when the goods are not delivered.
The pool is tiny..and more like a child's crèche rather than a resort pool.All day it was just screaming kids..I also thought the woman changing her child's diaper on one of the tables besides the lounges very off putting..after all people eat their lunch on those tables.I certainly hope that is not a regular occurrence...It turned me off and I didn't order a snack that day.
The bar out the back was lovely at night for a Mai Tai and the band were fantastic too.
Great location and walking distance the the night buzz of Waikiki.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tobaja
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The hotel and service are amazing!! Stayed four nights and the service was great, the staff was friendly and attentive. The hotel it's self is beautiful and well kept. Word to the wise, if you are told of a TV show being filmed, they are loud!! Ask what the alternatives are, we didn't and could have moved to another room for the night, so ask. Wow what a great stay. Will return.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arep
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Checking in:
My husband and I came here for our honeymoon. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by hotel staff and guided to the area for check-in. We were offered complimentary refreshers while we got all of our papers in order and finally received our room keys. We booked an ocean front room in the recently renovated tower, which promised and delivered an ocean view.

The tower ocean room:
The room layout is a bit weird with the closet in the bathroom... the room furnishings were very minimal, and the funky toto toilet seat bidet that we couldn't figure out how to turn off. We also discovered another quirk of the room... if you opened the sliding glass door, the a/c would shut off. On our first night, we were sent a complimentary bottle of bubbly to celebrate.

The bed in the room was absolutely horrendous. I thought starwood prided itself on their heavenly beds? This bed was far from it.... Can't sleep? the royal hawaiian has the cure! Set the alarm for 6 am on the clock radio! While this made me irate, when we asked housekeeping how to turn it off, they informed us they didn't know. So we either had the option of completely unplugging it, or just dealing with the daily 6am wake up call. ugh. Day 2 of our honeymoon, we discovered we were given neighbors... with a screaming baby! We're on our honeymoon.... and that's honestly the last thing I want to hear. I spoke with the lady at registration, who told me there was nothing they could do. I lost it. Seriously? They knew we were on our honeymoon! I was eventually escalated to a manager who offered to upgrade our room.

The upgrade:
Downside? We lost our balcony, and instead of crying babies ended up with a room directly above where they hold all their parties and luaus in the evenings.... Was the bed any better in the nicer room? Nope. I begged housekeeping to add their feathertop mattress topper, which they did.... two of them! Did that help the bed situation? no. again, ugh.

Don't get me wrong, the upgraded room was definitely nicely appointed. The view of the beach and the water were absolutely gorgeous and breath taking. Every morning when i woke at the crack of dawn, unable to sleep, I would wake to the barely risen run and countless surfers waiting for their perfect wave.

Our new room was almost directly in front of the "bathers elevator" which ran during the daytime hours only, and offered us an easy route to get to the beach and pool. The level of customer service in the historic part of the hotel we received from housekeeping versus the tower was astounding. The housekeeper in charge of our room for the remainder of our stay was charming and very helpful. We found many things in the upgraded room were more lavish, and more attention to detail; the Bose sound system, alarm clock, furnishings (quality and quantity), toiletries, and the a/c didn't shut off when we opened the windows. No more bidet, which I wasn't heart broken about. Another weird tid bit was that neither of the rooms had vents or fans in the bathroom. weird.

Hotel restaurant/bar:
The complimentary mai tais at the Mai Tai bar were nice and boozy. The Surf Lanai restaurant on site is also nice, while we only came here for breakfast, the service was top notch as was the food. We were served amazingly fresh juices, fancy mini jars of maman jams and food that made my eyes hungry.

Hotel gym:
I know it sounds crazy that anyone would want to go indoors while in hawaii to work out, but the royal hawaiian had a pretty decent gym. While it was very balmy in there, there is an a/c unit hanging from the wall.... and if you're lucky like me to work out when everyone is still sleeping, you can score the treadmill in front of the a/c vent. Ahhhhhh ;) Fresh towels, ear buds for your music, tv, a water cooler, and if you're lucky you'll find fresh apples and oranges. Oh, and the treadmills also have their own tv/media center so you can watch your own shows.

Overall:
The hotel is a landmark, so be prepared to see a lot of tourists around the hotel. The grounds are nicely manicured, lavish and almost feel like a cozy retreat in the middle of Waikiki beach. The hotel is in the middle of everything, and you can honestly walk to just about anywhere you need to from there. The concierge desk is a great resource to help schedule activities, rental cars and much more. These ladies are an absolute asset. The hotel is gorgeous, and paying a little extra here definitely gets you more perks and bang for your buck.

Room Tip: Ocean view, and/or historic wing of hotel totally worth it.
2  Thank SweetCyanide
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I last stayed here in 2009. This was our third stay at TRH and the most significant change for us and disappointingly so is that the beach chairs that used to be given to guests on a complimentary basis (and which were one of the things we most enjoyed about staying here), are now being charged at $40 a day or $20 after 2 p.m. This is crazy given that you are already spending either a lot of money or a lot of SPG points to stay here and on top of that you are already being charged a resort fee! I really think that is outrageous because you used to be able to go to the beach for one or two hours, but we refuse to pay the extra money out of principal. That being said, the grounds and hotel remain the most beautiful on Waikiki and the Pink Palace continues to shine as an oasis in a sea of concrete. It is especially beautiful at night with the tiki torches lit and the foliage is stunning. Now for the check in experience and the room itself. Like others, we did not receive a welcome drink when we arrived which we have always received in the past and later in the week we saw others receiving one. However, other than that service was excellent as always, especially the Concierge Desk and the Bell Boy desk etc. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and had hoped that we would get our Gold SPG Elite upgrade as we have in the past to a room in the historic building with a view, but sadly this time we did not. However we were offered a discounted upgrade to an ocean front room in the newer Tower building and we accepted that offer and paid the extra each day and it was worth it for a view of the ocean and a balcony which the rooms in the historic portion of the hotel do not have. We did have a major problem in the room which I promised management I would not mention on Trip Advisor, so I will keep my promise and we had to be moved to a room on a higher floor which actually afforded us a much better and more beautiful view of Waikiki and Diamond Head. The rooms do have frigs, coffee makers, lovely RH dressing gowns to wear, yes, the bathrooms are small but our toilet was a Japanese style one which had a seat warmer and built in bidet which was a nice touch! We also received two free bottles of water each day. Because of our room issue we were also given a complimentary dinner at Azure, the in-house restaurant of TRH which I had read great things about, but truthfully it was disappointing and the service was really slow. I have never in 25 years not seen my husband finish a steak but his was so grissley that he just couldn't finish it. I was just glad we weren't paying for the meal! As always the Mai Tai bar is the place to be at sunset with wonderful music and a great hula dancer; it is truly magical. We renewed our vows on the beach in front of TRH and the night before our anniversary our maid decorated our bed with towels made to look like two swans kissing and covered our bed in hearts and there was a nice anniversary card from the hotel - very classy touch, thanks TRH! Also some dear friends sent us some beautiful flowers for our anniversary celebration and the in house florist at TRH did a great job, they were beautiful :-) We plan to return here again in the future as our hearts belong to Hawaii and especially being history fans, we love the atmosphere at TRH, but the beach chair change is an irritance! Also, computer fans please note there is a new Apple store on Kalakau Avenue right in front of TRH :-) My brother who was visiting with us was most pleased to find it! LOL.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are newer and have balconies; historic rooms are lovely but smaller.
3  Thank mwooduk