We stayed here for three nights before heading to Maui. As a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, we had certain expectations, we were very disappointed.
First the pros:
Location - The RH is in a great location in the center of Waikiki beach. Directly on the beach and with easy access to shopping and restaurants, I can't think of a better spot.
The Property - the grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. The grounds look like what you think Hawaii should look like. Lush, open, beautiful. The lobby is open air and pleasant.
Staff - everyone from the bellman, desk clerks, concierge, and housekeeping were friendly and efficient. As a large hotel, it is is to be ignored and rushed. I felt they were there to help and truly cared, even as they had large groups moving through.
Now the Con's:
Room - After an efficient check in and seeing the beautiful grounds, the room was a major disappointment. Granted I know this is a beach resort and get heavily used, this room was very worn. There was a water leak in the bathroom, shades and upholstery was not the cleanest, and there was mold in the bathroom. This was for a room we paid more for to have a beachfront lanai. The room was way below standard for a luxury collection hotel (why we stayed there) and was very disappointing compared to the rest of the property. Additionally, this was not a heavenly bed, bedding, and pillows. The bedding was scratchy and the bed was hard as a rock.
Fee's/Charges - We knew about the resort fee, $35 per day. I don't like them or agree with them, but like baggage fees, we are stuck with them. I made the incorrect assumption that this would cover resort and beach amenities, wrong. You get internet, two watered down maitais, and self parking. Your fee does NOT include any beach amenities. If you want chairs and an umbrella in the RH space, thats $40 day, if you want a chair closer to the water, thats $50 per day. Do you want to use a boggie board, thats $6 per hour, want snorkel gear or a SUP board, I don't know how much, but you will pay. Essentially we paid $35/day for internet and two watered down drinks (note, the free maitais are different then the regular ones, see what happens you order one and don't tell the bartender you have the coupon for the free on. He dumps it out, tells you the freebie is different, and makes you the free one, all while making a face).
Overall - Luckily we were only here for three days, if it was longer we would have changed hotels. I normally request a different room, but after flying all day and thinking this was not a one off room, we didn't. If you are used to Starwood Hotels such as St Regis, Westin, and W, you will be disappointed. If you do stay here, there are several cheap beach shops and a grocery store with a few blocks of the hotel, go and buy a cheap beach chair, boogie board, and snorkel gear, and leave it when you leave.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1927, the iconic Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, ushered in a new era of luxurious resort travel to Hawaii. Situated in the heart of Waikiki, the hotel offers cultural activities, gold standard signature concierge service, valet parking, doctors-on-call, florist, currency exchange service, Japanese concierge, laundry and dry cleaning, dining service and world-class restaurants and bars, wireless internet access in rooms and all public areas, multi-lingual staff, 24-hour room service, business center, and beach and pool services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Starwood, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HotelsforEveryone so you can book your The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian Honolulu
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort Hawaii/Honolulu