“Gorgeous hotel right on beach.”

The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I loved this hotel, so pretty. I definitely want to return someday. Breakfasts on the beach were amazing. The beach bar was a lot of fun. Best Mai Tai's too. Had a $20 hot dog for lunch. Not my typical coice for lunch, but I was curiuos about a $20 hot dog. Well, It was deliciuos. Enough to share. Had it twice as a matter of fact. :-) I just had such a wonderful time. That's all I can say.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded February 27, 2013

Aloha Darl333,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoy your stay. Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience. Our distinctive location and exceptional service make The Royal Hawaiian the luxury resort in the heart of Waikiki and we appreciate your acknowledgement. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back for your next Hawaiian vacation!

There are newer reviews for The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely! When in Oahu, stay at the Pink Hotel! It's calm, clean and offers a private roped off beach for the guests. Yes, you are part of the masses, but you have a lounge chair, and a server and the comforts! The room was small, we booked a suite, and receive a double room, and that was disappointing, but overall, it was quiet and super comfy!

Room Tip: The rooms are pricey. Try and book early for a discount.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded February 27, 2013

Aloha CDKMCK,

The Resort Ambassadors at The Royal Hawaiian take great pride in providing flawless experiences and service for our guests. It is a pleasure to hear from discerning guests such as yourselves having a wonderful time on our beautiful island home.

Thank you for selecting The Royal Hawaiian for your Hawaiian holiday. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I usually stay with close friends who live in Oahu but decided to try the Waikiki experience this time for the 3 day weekend. The Royal Hawaiian was perfect.
Check in was very easy and they provide a hospitality suite for those who arrive early and waiting for the rooms to be ready. Very nice touch! The staff were extremely helpful, attentive, and very friendly. In spite of having to work with the chaos of large groups and people of all nationalities descending onto their island and hotel, I observed the staff to always keep it cool and work through the language barriers very smoothly. Complimentary breakfast was great. The rooms were more spacious than I expected and I had nice ground floor room. There were some ants in the bathroom but not a big deal. I did not have a car so with the hotel so close to the downtown shopping areas and restaurants, it was well convenient. I did eat a few meals in the restaurant by the beach and the food was so good and large portions. I have to say the staff was always friendly but probably overworked. The beach/pool staff were constantly busy as well and hats off to them for all their nonstop hard work. Their jobs looked physically demanding as they were constantly putting out lounge chairs, moving them around according to the path of the sun, packing them up, setting up umbrellas, providing wait service, etc. I felt guilty relaxing as I observed them working but I am sure the hotel guests felt pampered. The hotel was nice to lend me a couple of beach towels to take to Hanauma Bay without hesitation and yes, I returned them. There were opportunities to learn surfing and water activities bookable from the hotel pool area which made it easy for guests. I had a spa treatment there which was average but nice as it was outdoors. Knowing the history of the Royal Hawaiian and Waikiki, Oahu, it met all of my expectations.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Aloha Voluntourista,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Royal Hawaiian. We sincerely appreciate your recognition. It was a pleasure to read, “The staff was extremely helpful, attentive, and very friendly.” Our resort ambassadors are what make The Royal Hawaiian truly extraordinary. Each hotel ambassador enjoys curating authentic experiences for each guest. We hope these Royal memories will be your favorite travel stories to share again and again.
We agree that our Beach/Pool ambassadors work extremely hard and we will be sure to share your compliments with them.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Hawaiian again soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I began staying in the hotel as a child and then on and off for years. The hotel was closed for a full year in 2008, I believe, while they did a complete remodel. We had a garden suite and it was a delightful. I strongly suggest that you try and reserve in what was the original building. The rooms are more spacious. The housekeeping personnel were fantastic as was the turn down service. The hotel itself is full of fantastic flower arrangements that are huge and unusual. The Royal Hawaiian which was mostly by itself when I first started going there is now hidden but once there? An island of beauty. The complimentary breakfast that we had was superb which leads me to a problem: The management said that this breakfast was not part of our package - I mean the manager on duty. Calls to agent and "yes" and they called the hotel. We went down to retrieve our coupons and then manager said NO. Another email to agency and the next day we had a message and an envelope was in our room. Now the list price of this room is $845 per night and the management arm wrestled us over five breakfasts for two? We did get them for the last three days. That aside - the hotel is wonderful!

Room Tip: Garden Rooms in the original building
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SPCinOLYMPIA

Aloha SPCinOLYMPIA,

We thank you for your gracious review and for selecting our Resort as the luxury destination for your Hawaiian vacation. We are thrilled to hear that you are as charmed by The Royal Hawaiian’s iconic beauty as we are. We are very proud to be the stewards of its historic grounds and to be able to share its legacy with our guests. We apologize for the inconvenience regarding the breakfast vouchers, but happy to hear that we were able to find a resolultion before your departure. We look forward to welcoming you back to our lovely island home.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We spent three nights here. It is a gorgeous hotel, the people are very nice. But, in those three days, the Internet didn't work in the room, our TV broke, we never got the banana bread basket (didn't care about the bread, wanted the recipe) we were promised all three days. When we checked in we had a king, smoking room, garden view on the sixth floor. We had asked for non-smoking. We ended up with no-smoking on the second floor with a pink wall six feet from our window. Not garden view, just a pink wall. We had to leave very early AM to catch our flight and talked to the valets the day before about it. They guaranteed it would be waiting. At 4:30 AM we were looking for a valet and our car. Neither were there. Had to go to the check in desk to find the valet. I still think its probably the most beautiful hotel in Waikiki. When we had these problems, the people couldn't have been nicer. But for the price, you just expect more. I know things can happen but it was just on going, not just an isolated incident. Wish it had been different. But it wasn't.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ruby717

Aloha Ruby 717,

Mahalo for taking the time to review The Royal Hawaiian. We apologize that the service you received was anything less than exceptional. Please know that this is certainly not our standard and will certainly be addressed with our resort ambassadors and managers for continued development.

We value your feedback and for holding us accountable. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Hawaiian on a future visit.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel is everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The service is second to none and the staff are so lovely and very helpful. Nothing is to much trouble.

All the downside make sure you are very rich as everything is so expensive in the hotel. . Breakfast well over 50 dollars a head and the drinks bordering on extortion. However to be fair probably in line with the rest of Waikiki. A slight gripe is you have to pay for sun beds on the hotels private beach, between 40 and 50 dollars a day. They are free around the small pool but the usual problems with trying to find a free bed, people saving beds at 7 am! Also beware of the 25 dollars a day resort charge..... What that is for I do not know! Probably for the supposedly free wifi and an hour a day free telephone calls.

So if you win the lottery this is the place to go. Make sure you like busy beaches and a high street that reminded me of Oxford Street but with Bond Street shops.

Would I go again? No but an experience to be had once in a life time. If you want romance go to the Caribbean.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha Julie W,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at The Royal Hawaiian. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the comforts of your guest room and the service you were provided. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful island home.

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The staff is very nice and helpful. But please be prepared to pay extra in everything!!! The space at the pool is not huge but don't think you can get the cabanas for a reasonable price... $175.00 do the day!!! Oh plus $36.00 a day just in case you need local calls or parking or others you might need or not but you'll pay for each day! Food there is extra expensive and although its beautiful just know you do pay for it in all the little things you don't think about. I travel around the world and I don't remember feeling as "Nickel & Dime".

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Mayarl
Management response:Responded February 19, 2013

Aloha Mayarl

Mahalo for taking the time to post a review. At The Royal Hawaiian, we continuously strive to offer exceptional levels of service and we listen to our guests’ feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not find our beach reservation system and associated fee beneficial to you. We introduced these policies because the reservation system eliminated the need to arrival early whilst on vacation to secure a spot, which was a guest concern in the past. The reservation and associated charge reserves the lounge chair for the full day’s use. If your vacation schedule included a few morning hours at the beach, an early afternoon sightseeing tour off resort grounds and a late afternoon dip in the ocean; the lounge chair would remain reserve until your return that day. The policy pertains only to the beach lounges and the cabanas. The pool lounge chairs are free of charge.

Thank you for your kind compliments about the hotel ambassadors. I will be sure to share with our management team.

We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Hawaiian.