The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort
Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach(Honolulu)
$267
$229
  • Breakfast included
$284
$217
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $245/night.

$401
$329
$478
$217
Agoda.com
$244
$199
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of $282/night.

$236
$202
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of $264/night.

$384
Westin.com
$755
$705
4,162 results
All reviewsthe mai tai barthe pink palacemailani towerbanana breadsurf lanaiazure restaurantpink ladyhistoric sectionsheraton poolbeach boysgarden vieworiginal buildingbeach chairsiconic hotelbeach stafftower roomsold hawaii
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have stayed at the Pink resort several times since I was a child and our family vacationed to Hawaii. I was sad as this grand hotel in the heart of Waikiki didn't live up to my memories.
The good is that the Royal Hawaiian is on the beach, great location, old world charm, and private beach area.
The down side is that the service level wasn't as great as I would expect from a 5 star hotel.
Our stay at the Four Season's Maui and Volcano Village Lodge on the big island were of a higher service and quality level.
I still love the colors, feel, flavor, smells, and location of this place. If I were returning to Hawaii, or when I return, I will return. But, I hope the staff starts focusing on the service part of the business.

Room Tip: I like the old world charm of the older builder vs. the high rise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank PsiWyFun

Aloha PsiWyFun,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Impeccable service and unrivaled accommodations are the foundations of our brand and this iconic property. We are deeply sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations during your recent visit to our resort.

We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality, for which The Royal Hawaiian is known.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

SPG Luxury The Royal Hawaiian Waikiki is NOT. This property is desperately in need of renovation and remodeling. Please do not be fooled as we were by the 'luxury' label and charm that surrounds this classic Waikiki hotel. Wish I had time to go into all of the details but please do not waste your hard earned money or SPF points on this one. Rooms are dark, depressing, dirty and certainly not luxury. Our windows were so dirty in room 265 that you could barely see outside. Air vent above closet door was filthy. And our view from our 'upgraded' room was of a roof full of equipment. Be ware. I have photos but can not find a way to post them.

• Stayed: January 2013
8  Thank lynnieee
Management response:Responded February 3, 2013

Aloha,

It is with true regret to learn of the experience you encountered during your visit to The Royal Hawaiian. Refined accommodations are the hallmarks of our brand and this iconic property. We are sorry to hear you did not feel our hotel met your standard.

We value all feedback and have shared your comments with our senior management team.

We hope you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you back to our beautiful island home.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We arrived Tuesday evening around 11:30 PM, 20 minutes waiting to make the Check ‘Inn, only one person available and he was occupied with another guest.

We booked the Luxury Romance package who should include the following: Flowers and Champagne upon arrival ( 1 bottle of champagne per person/per Night, was written in the confirmation). We received only 1 bootle the last night around 6:00 PM, also only at this time the flower arrived. We made 2 times a request one these thinks, but the manager got never the time to spek to us.

Concerning the breakfast, the choice was good, but after ordering we asked to get a little more bread. Answer: this is only possible if you pay, because it’s not included in the pack. For the 2 pieces of toast's we paid around 9$.

Beach-Pool, arrived at the pool around 2PM we tried to find 2 places (chaise longue), around 90% was empty (nobody was there) but towels or other things was laying on it. We asked if something is available and we got as answer that we should go to the beach but there will be a charge of 50$ per chaise-longue.

After 30 minutes we found a chaise-langue and we gave several times a sign to the waiter, but no reaction, so we decided to go our self to the bar to order drinks. The waiter saw us coming back and we got the following comment: I have only to hands and I can not handle all the guests together. I think 40 minutes is enough to find 1 minute to take an order and also there was less as 20 guests around the pool.

Never again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Claude-Annette

Aloha Claude-Annette,

We regret to learn of the challenges you experienced during your recent visit.
At The Royal Hawaiian we continuously strive to offer exceptional levels of service, which in this case it appears we have failed to deliver.

We would welcome an opportunity to discuss these issues further with you and ask that you direct message us through Tripadvisor.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Let me start by saying this Hotel's location and most of the common areas are pretty nice. The proximity to the beach and shopping, etc is great. I have stayed in many Hotels, including many historic hotels so I recognize the challenge of balancing modern convenience with retaining the feel of a classic luxury hotel can create some challenges, but Starwood fails at this hotel (perhaps they should pay a visit to the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island for some pointers). I don't believe you can move to "luxury" status without taking care of the basics which by my standards are: Quiet Rooms, with comfortable bed and furnishings, reasonable size bathroom and staff that follows through with what they say they will do. I can say, most mid range hotels (Hampton, etc) out perform this hotel in the basics. The room we had, had the thinnest walls of any I can recall staying at. Even normal conversation level conversations could be easily heard room to room or hall to room. Well insulated rooms perhaps is not as big of a deal in most Hotels, but it is important to recognize, you have almost all guest coming either from Asia or the mainland, so nobody is on the same time zone as HI.....people are up early or staying up late as they adjust. When we asked to be moved at 6am after being up for hrs due to noisy neighbors, we were told we they would call us later to move us.....a call that never occured. We learned to leave the AC Fan running all night to drown out some of the noise. The other thing to be warned about is the Pool / Chair situation. Note the pool is the approx size of a residential pool and the number or chairs is very limited. Of course they have plenty to "rent" on the beach, a bit of an insult when you are already paying for a "luxury" experience. Renting a chair at a "luxury" hotel pool/beach in my opinion would be like being charged for a drink in First Class on an flight.....it just doesn't feel right.

HI is a great place to visit, I just caution you if you elect to chose this hotel We will return to this island, but for sure we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Dave S

Aloha Dave S,

It is with true regret to learn of the experience you encountered during your recent visit to The Royal Hawaiian. Exceptional service and refined accommodations are the hallmarks of our brand and this iconic property, and we strive to deliver consistent service to each guest staying at our hotel. We are sorry to hear you did not feel our hotel met your standard.

I hope you will choose The Royal Hawaiian again in the future, so we may demonstrate our unparalleled level of service and hospitality for which The Royal Hawaiian is known. Mahalo.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Rooms were comfortable. big enough, and we had no noise from other rooms. Noise from the beach or other hotel bars is a minor problem and stops at I think 10:30 or 11 pm. However occasionally a bar at a hotel next door plays music during the day that is, literally, unbelievably loud. This is a problem for a few hotels on this strip.

Pool is small; no balls, no inflatable toys etc etc so not so much fun for the kids. But with Waikiki ten metres away I wouldn't be spending too much time swimming in a small pool.

Food seemed good at breakfast but we didn't eat much in the hotel.

Staff were very helpful and always friendly.

Gym is limited with one weights machine that is horribly complicated, some aerobic equipment and free weights are in good condition.

Japanese toilets are always a welcome touch (and I'm not even Japanese)

Room Tip: I would just suggest you spend a bit of time working out exactly where your room will be as there are several towers or wings. We were in the 10-12? story tower facing the beach so had a (tiny) balcony and a panoramic ocean view, the smaller towers may only face out onto the pool. Would probably be worth paying extra for the view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FredHayek

Aloha FredHayek,

We are so pleased that you had a wonderful visit at The Royal Hawaiian. Our impeccable service and unrivaled accommodations are the foundations of The Royal Hawaiian.

We hope that your experience will be one of your favorite travel stories to share again and again.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Hawaiian.