“The Royal Hawaiian - Blissful” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort

The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Oklahoma City
“The Royal Hawaiian - Blissful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Royal Hawaiian for two days prior to a cruise. We were greeted with beautiful leis and were given a cool drink while waiting to check in at the desk. You were seated at a desk and checked in instead of standing at a counter. We were offered an upgrade but declined since we were only stay a couple nights. Everyone was very gracious. We were in the original hotel and absolutely loved it. Our room (garden view) looked out over the front of the hotel. It was a lovely view. Our bathroom did not have any washcloths but we asked for a few from housekeeping - no biggie. Every staff member we encountered was so helpful and always had a smile on their face. There were so many comfortable places to sit and enjoy the outdoors, lots of comfy sofas, chairs, rockers.....
We had booked a Hanauma Bay snorkeling tour with the concierge desk prior to arriving and checked with the concierge when we arrived. We were given a lovely notecard with all the details we would need for our excursion.

The Royal Hawaiian was right in the middle of everything !! Right on the beach, shopping and dining mere steps away !! Everything we needed was within walking distance. We did not use the pool but several people seemed to enjoy lounging around it and, of course, lots of people were at the beach. The Royal Hawaiian had the most relaxing ambiance. It was a little oasis in the midst of all the rush of Waikiki ~ We highly recommend this jewel ~

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RHCoordinator, at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Aloha OKCC&H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Royal Hawaiian. We sincerely appreciate your recognition. It was a pleasure to read, “Every staff member we encountered was so helpful and always had a smile on their face.” Our hotel ambassadors are what make The Royal Hawaiian truly extraordinary. Each hotel ambassador is skilled at curating authentic experiences for each guest. We hope these Royal memories will be your favorite travel stories to share again and again.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Hawaiian again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (797)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I seldom give 5 stars, because I'm of the belief that there's always room for improvement.

The Royal Hawaiian is an exceptional luxury establishment. When we approached the hotel, we were greeted with Aloha, smiles and lei! Upon entering the lobby, there is no check-in counter. The process is done seated at a desk with cool tropical fruit juice to drink. Check-in is as long as necessary for a complete understanding of what the Resort has to offer for our enjoyment.

Our accommodations were spacious with 12' ceilings! It was very clean and smelled fresh. The room has much old world charm with every upgraded modern convenience installed. The efficient climate control was extremely quiet allowing for peaceful nights of sleep in a comfortable, fine linened, King Size bed.

When the Housekeeping and Groundskeeping Staff always greeted us with smiles and a big Aloha, you somehow can't help but feel special! Everyone, from the Porters and Parking Valets to the Management Team, is very well trained in hospitality as well as their duties.

I'd recommend The Royal Hawaiian to anyone who appreciates service and luxury at its finest!

Room Tip: All room have been recently renovated.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bikerwoo
Aloha bikerwoo

Our unique destination, unrivaled accommodations and exceptional hotel ambassadors are the foundations of The Royal Hawaiian. We pride ourselves on our personalized service, and we are delighted that you were able to experience this first hand. I will be sure to share your kind comments with our hotel ambassadors.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back to Waikiki for your next Hawaiian holiday.
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

stayed at the maluhia suite with the wife and 2 kids. it's a suite with 2 bedrooms (a king and 2 double beds) and a side sitting room. it was great to walk out to a ocean view every morning. the kids ate free at breakfast (option of french toast, eggs and bacon, pancakes, etc., plus freshly squeezed juices or milk). the free continental breakfast for adults (for spg platinum members) was also nice. i wouldn't stay anywhere else in waikiki.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha Li C,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at The Royal Hawaiian. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the comforts of your guest room and the service you were provided. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful island home.
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

I'm struggling with the Royal Hawaiian. I booked my stay close to a year ago and was really looking forward to the visit. In addition to being very specific about my expectations I got "the run around" as I got close to check in. Ultimately we were treated great, but I'm somewhat embarrassed by the lengths I had to go to to have my expectations met.

Multiple phone calls and multiple emails shouldn't be the norm - regretfully that was my experience.

I've stayed at several Luxury Collection properties around the world The Royal Hawaiian could benefit from talking to their colleagues in New York City and Mexico. Customers shouldn't have to go to the trouble I did just have our expectations met. I was livid by the time I arrived. Management ultimately made things right but as mentioned before, the process wasn't pretty.

We've stayed at several SPG properties on Waikiki - it's a bummer that The Royal Hawaiian doesn't live up to its reputation.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank peterm312
RHCoordinator, at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Aloha Peter M,

From the moment a guest enters The Royal Hawaiian, you are assured that every aspect of your stay is flawlessly addressed. We are delighted to hear that you experienced this first hand at The Royal Hawaiian.

We do apologize that your expectation for a suite upgrade was not initially confirmed. At the time of booking, suite availability was extremely limited. It was not until closer into your reservation that we were able to confirm an upgrade.

It must have been frustrating to wait so long for a confirmation, so I was pleased to hear that our resort was able to confirm a suite upgrade closer to your arrival.

We thank you for your loyalty to The Luxury Collection Brand and for holding us to the highest standards. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Hawaiian ohana.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed in the newer part of the hotel, and the room was very nice with a balcony that overlooked the pool and the beach. Very interesting, cool old hotel. Go downstairs from the lobby to see photos of some of the famous guests. Super expensive. Great location.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RHCoordinator, at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Aloha tdup,

Thank you so much for staying at The Royal Hawaiian during your recent visit to Waikiki. We are thrilled to hear your enjoyed your stay, and we thank you for taking the time to review your experience on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Hawaiian for your next Hawaiian holiday.
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Want to see what Waikiki Beach is all about. Then this property is a MUST. You must also like the color pink - otherwise you could be in trouble. This was my 2nd visit to the RH. This trip I stayed in the Historic Building. The bathroom was rather small and didn't include a tub. Room service was yummy. Wasn't impressed at all with the Spa. However the Lomi Lomi message was worth the visit. They weren't able to give us an extended check out for our room, however they provided us access to a generic suite with a place to shower, use the restroom, watch TV or simply rest while waiting to go to the airport. A very nice gesture since our flight wasn't until 5pm and checkout was at noon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha R J,

Thank you for your compliments of The Royal Hawaiian and for your loyalty to The Luxury Collection brand. We hope to welcome you back for a third visit to Waikiki’s luxury destination again very soon.

Mahalo
Dusseldorf
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

We passed wonderful holidays over there, with an absolutely Hawaiian-friendly and competent staff and a beautiful location. Even a 6pm check-out could be managed. All what the hotel publishes as advantages and photos is true: a beach, the old stylish hotel and the fantastic garden, plus the main street, Kalakaua Av, closest.

We got our two-bed suite, unfortunately with only a shower and not any bath tub (pic #1 attached). That a room could have only a shower was published, that suites could have only a shower I did not imagine. The 331 was quiet as maybe most of the rooms in the old building, but my pic #2 may show you the corroded a/c and its wall. Not just luxury! The rooms are dark, and as described, without balcony, which finally was a bit disturbing, so I had to smoke chilling out in the garden. I did not change to a smokers room, so, without balcony, smoke also may have disturbed myself.

Now comes negative: When you arrive late as we did, at 11:20pm you will not find not even an open bar in the luxury, which has not any inside, so you open the empty mini-bar and have to wait for an expensive room-service beer, or you drink a warm spring water they provide sufficient bottles of it in the room. One day, we came in at 6:30pm from an excursion and asked for a dinner table in “Azure”, the only dinner restaurant. Booked out that Thursday night, also for hotel guests! A table for the partner hotel Westin could not be arranged for us for any time of this night! We went to discover and dinner by ourselves.

Next morning I wrote a letter to the GM complaining about that all - that the old Pink Lady of The Hawaiian could not feed their guests appropriately. A snack in the MaiThai bar outside was not just an alternative. This was answered quickly by George-English-last-name, his vice in charge, on my voice-box. When I called back he unfortunately was already off and the guest-service-complaint-manager in duty she offered me by phone 100 USD or an accommodation in her famous resto, in which I had had denied to step already in my letter to the GM. She did not understand me, so 100 is not my price for a fully written one-page-letter contesting by phone, and I did not want do bargain with her on the phone. The rate was 595+++ per night! So I will roll on to ask for compensation points to SPG. George may have understood me in a personal five-minutes-talk!

This hotel is of the higher Starwood brands -only the St. Regis higher- but if I compare with the Castillo Hotel Son Vida in Spain or with the Laguna in Bali, both of the same Luxury Collection, this Royal Hawaiian is big inferior for me.

They let you pay a “residence charge” which is well explained and includes, not bad at all, a free Wi-Fi and one hour of telephone calls all over the world per day. Plus a parking we did not need, so we had no car. They let you pay, if you want to access to their “private” part of the public beach, USD 40++ per couple and day for the sunbeds, well, better: beach chairs, umbrella included. Worse are the free beach chairs close to the mini-pool, which are absolutely dirty and uncomfortable . No cushion for my spine, five-stars++? (pic #3).

You may wonder why I only put ugly photos: that’s because the nice ones are already published.

The stay and the -overpriced- breakfast were pretty good. Go there on Sundays and you will have cheaper buffet, if not order a USD 12/20++ fruit platter or a really huge and good 21++ omelet. I would go there again, but fortunately it’s too far from Europe, so it’s expensive. If you decide to book there, or to another hotel close-bye (Trump without beach, The Westin Moana with beach) take a cheap breakfast or snack at the crowdy ”Duke’s” with cute waitresses next door (entry quickly from beachside), or a fabulous Italian dinner at “Taormina”, or a Asian Fusion at “Roy’s”, both next street nothing far from this hotel, way to the Trump, crossing the parking lot of the Sheraton.

Room Tip: Difficult, see my comment. If you need a big room, Main Building. If you need a small room with balc...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank masmiguelDusseldorf
Aloha masmiguelDusseldorf,

Thank for taking the time to detail your experiences and the kind compliments about our ambassadors. Our staff truly takes pride in providing service that is beyond expectation. However, we are disappointed that your experience was anything less than exceptional. We take all feedback seriously and have addressed your experiences with our leaders. I hope you will choose The Royal Hawaiian again in the future so we may demonstrate our unparalleled level of service and hospitality.

Mahalo.