4,264 results
All reviewsthe mai tai barthe pink palacemailani towerbanana breadsurf lanaiazure restaurantpink ladyhistoric sectionsheraton poolwaikiki beachgarden viewbeach boyshistoric roomsoriginal buildingiconic hotelbeach staffbeach chairs
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed at the Royal Hawaiian for 3 nights and had a fabulous time. Our room was very nice and the housekeeping staff was very friendly and helpful. They gave us water and chocolate at night when servicing our room. The resort charge of $25 included internet, parking and morning coffee. The internet was confusing to connect as it looked like I was going to be charged an additional $14 above the resort charge and then it was not connected the second day. I think it would be more user friendly if the site to connect to the internet had an option for you to put in your room number for validation or something like that. The card given to me for the free coffee at the "coconut lanai" was really located at the surfer's lanai as I found out on my last day. It would have been helpful to have been told that the information was incorrect on the card when it was given to me. I really liked the greeting with the lei when we arrived and the fruit drink (absolutely delicious) and the banana bread on our bed when we got to our room. The beach area for this hotel is like none other. You will notice as you walk along the beach of the Waikiki area that other hotels have little or no beach. Not so here. We purchased beach loungers for $40 (I felt like we were looked down on for not tipping the staff in this area but after paying $40 it was hard to tip for the service). Which reminds me, we did tip the staff quite a bit but when we had to leave in a taxi abruptly to catch our flight and I couldn't get to my wallet due to the time constraints (I handed him the $2 I could get to) the attendant made a rude comment about us to a fellow employee showing him the $2 and I overheard him while inside the cab. I felt horrible when this happened.

Room Tip: To get the authentic experience of the 1920's Waikiki, stay in the original hotel rather than the tower if you have a choice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Mahalo nui loa for sharing that you had such a fabulous time with us in Pink Paradise! We are so pleased that you enjoyed our arrival experience and found everything from our guestrooms, housekeeping ambassadors and nightly turn down service to be so fantastic.
We thank you also for your excellent feedback about our internet login screen and our resort charge cards indicating Coconut Lanai for the complimentary coffee service. We have discussed the login concern with our Front Office Manager who will be ensuring that our staff explain it more clearly. The daily charge of $14 is for outside parties who do not have the resort charge privileges, and we do apologize that this was confusing. We want everything to be as clear as possible and will be looking further into this, thank you again so much for your great suggestion.
Regarding the coffee directions, this change of location just occurred and the cards have been edited and reprinted and will be available shortly. We apologize for the lack of clear directions provided by our staff and we greatly appreciate you letting us know so that we can continue to elevate our service levels.
We are delighted that you found the beach fronting our resort to be so spacious and we thank you also for your feedback on tipping. We certainly agree that tipping is by no means mandatory and we are very sorry to hear about your experience with our valet department. We have addressed this with the manager who will be looking very seriously into this unacceptable and unusual occurrence.
Mahalo again for all your excellent comments. We are so pleased that you had such a wonderful time overall and we hope to see you again and show you that we have resolved the issues you did experience. With kind regards, The Royal Hawaiian Team.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

The Royal Hawaiian gives you the "original" Waikiki experience, and by that I mean relaxing in a tropical paradise.
If you want a modern hot & happening hotel with a rocking bar & party & pool scene, TRH isn't for you. There are many other options for that in Waikiki.
TRH delivers "old world" charm & opulence, just what it promises. Walk around the grounds to clear your head. Sit on the veranda to relax. It is so secluded that TRH doesn't even open out on the main street.
The only thing that keeps this from being 5 stars is the uneven housekeeping service, but I'll get to that later.
People make a difference, and I can't say enough about the people I encountered at TRH. Everyone from the car parking staff to the groundskeepers to the front desk staff was sweet, helpful, happy and ready to help.
I do want to mention Rory Cosma, who made my stay a pleasure. He not only checked me in and out, he answered my questions, gave me suggestions and went the extra mile for me. He is, without a doubt, one of the best. Every hotel would be better with a Rory Cosma around!
Starwood Platinum amenities were good, and, taking advice, I passed on the breakfast in lieu of points. The continental breakfast offered didn't include fresh fruit, so it didn't make sense. The upgrades, when & where available, are terrific. The resort fee takes care of water & Internet.
I was in room 2002 in the renovated tower. It was clean & had a great view. I was worried that it was opposite the elevator, but I heard nothing! Slept like a baby & had a beautiful view of the ocean and the pool.
The spa is OK. Not great. I had a lovely facial outside in a cabana, but the odd thing is the outdoor cabanas are clustered together & not all that private. The changing rooms for the spa are inadequate, but then again, you aren't here for the spa experience.
What TRH doesn't have: A large lap or swimming pool, but guests can use the joint pool with the Sheraton Waikiki, which is next door, or you can just swim in the ocean, which is clear & shallow.
The management would do well to open a coffee shop and some restaurant alternatives in TRH itself. While you can dine at any of the SPG properties, it is just inconvenient to have to schlep for morning coffee (there was a coffeemaker in my room) to Peet's in the Sheraton (they don't make clear that is there & available). The only restaurant is the one that houses Surf Lanai for breakfast & lunch and Azure for dinner & the Mai Tai bar.
Despite what the promotional material says, there is no private beach. There are no private beaches in Waikiki - all beaches are open to everyone. TRH ropes off a couple of rows of chairs & umbrellas, but there is no private access to the water.
Also, because of local laws, there is no alcohol on the beach. I found it odd that nobody from the restaurant even came by to get a food or drink order - it was as if they couldn't or didn't want to bother.
The "famous" Waikiki Beach Boys are nothing more than the staff that takes care of the chairs & umbrellas. They aren't anything special or unusual, which kind of bummed me out, as I was expecting more. I don't know what more, but more.
Now, for the housekeeping issues: There were no bathrobes in the room, which I found odd for a Luxury Collection hotel. They should be there. I shouldn't have to ask. Consistency was lacking: I got new body wash one day, but not the next. I didn't get a new shower cap one day, but did the next. On Saturday, which is a big check-in day, my room wasn't clean at 3:30pm when I came up to change to head to the North Shore.
Would I go back? Definitely! I like the quiet & the ability to leave for insanity & return to serenity.
The list:
Towels: Extremely above average
Phone service/attendants: Above average
Shower pressure: Disappointing - especially for the 2nd floor
Front desk: Excellent - among the best
Bed: Above average
Sheets/Bedding: Average.
Room size: Above average - room 2002 in the Tower.
Location: Fantastic - walking distance to everything in Waikiki and a quick hop to the H1 to head to the North Shore.
Room service: Surprisingly quick. Prices typical for room service ($20 for club sandwiches & $22 for a burger), but too limited, especially for a hotel that is linked to the Sheraton Waikiki next door. (You are better off going to the adjacent mall & getting something from Maui Tacos or Mahaloha burger & getting a bottle or two of wine or spirits at the ABC or the grocery in the Sheraton Waikiki.)

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank ilovemanhattanNyc
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Mahalo nui loa for sharing such a detailed description of your stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We are so pleased that you share our love of authentic Hawaiian experiences and are delighted that you found our resort to deliver what it promises.
Thank you for your kind words about our Royal Beach Tower Ocean guestrooms, for mentioning Rory and our other fabulous staff, for noting the benefits of our daily resort charge inclusions, and for sharing how promptly we deliver our 24 hour room service.
We also appreciate your feedback on our housekeeping, beach and pool food service and Waikiki Beach Team. We are sorry to hear that those areas did not live up to your expectations and we have addressed this with our team.
It is absolutely correct that all beaches are public in Hawaii, however, The Royal Hawaiian owns the land that fronts our resort and is demarcated by the chain. This area is exclusive and private to Royal Hawaiian guests only.
Mahalo again for your thorough review - we are so grateful - and we look forward to welcoming you back. With best regards, The Royal Hawaiian Team.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Our Royal Hawaiian Tower room had a breathtaking view of Waikiki Beach and its surfers. It was so relaxing to sit on the balcony and watch the beach activity. The staff was very accommodating to your every need. We enjoyed a special ocassion dinner at Azure, the hotel's restaurant....as well as a wonderful breakfast. This hotel is within walking distance of many other restaurants in the area as well. RH remains a highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2012

Thank you for sharing that our Royal Beach Tower Guestrooms offer such incredible views of Waikiki Beach and wonderful, private lanais for relaxing and beach watching. We are also thrilled that you found our staff to be so accommodating, our breakfasts at Surf Lanai and dinners at Azure Restaurant to be so wonderful, and our location to be perfectly central.
We greatly appreciate the time you took to share your great experience with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Until then, aloha from all of us at The Royal Hawaiian.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

This is my second stays at the Royal Hawaiian hotel. Both stays I stated at the Suite. The rooms are nice and clean, hotel staffs are friendly and knowledgeable. Dined at azure restaurant and the food was great, server was incredibly nice and friendly. I needed some help from the concierge and Crystal is such a sweet lady, and she is a complete go getting. She was personable and go distances to take care of my errands.

However, this one experience that ruin my entire stay.
Instead of being welcomed at the beach, I was greeted by this gentleman calls Raymond (as I recalled) "I am sure you are NOT the VIP and I am sure you did not reserved these chairs!" As I was putting my stuff at the pink chairs.

I have no idea this is the kind of treatment that me and my sister would received, as I have a lot of experience staying at luxury hotels and none of them would even say such a thing to their street guest, NOT TO MENTION I am an elite member of the chain, staying in a suite and have been friendly to everyone. I may look young, but this is completely inappropriate to treat anyone like this. These beachboys seem to judge you by the look, unless you are mature like Warren Buffet and have a few 5+ ct diamond rings on.

They seem to look down on everyone who do not look like baller.

Great hotel with a few bad apples. If you don't care about the beach, it is a heaven.
Someone should do something about the beachboy and teach them how to respect people.

Room Tip: I stayed at the suite during all my visits and I love it. The suites are very roomy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Luxship

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments and excellent feedback. We are so pleased that you returned to stay with us and so enjoy our suites, friendly staff and Azure Restaurant. We thank you also for mentioning Kristal's excellent concierge service; we have shared your kind words with her and her manager.
We are however, very sorry to hear about your most uncharacteristic encounter with one of our Waikiki Beach Boys and we sincerely apologize for the way you were treated. We absolutely agree that such service is unacceptable and it's most definitely not our standard. We thank you very much for sharing this experience so that we may address this immediately. Our management team and the Waikiki Beach Services manager have already been informed; we take such situations very seriously and we will be taking the necessary steps to ensure such a situation never occurs again. We greatly appreciate your feedback and your kind words about the rest of our resort.
We look forward to providing flawless, true Royal service all-round on your next stay with us. With best regards and aloha from all of us at The Royal Hawaiian.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

We checked out of the Halekulani after one night and checked into the Royal Hawaiian. The staff are very gracious and helpful. The grounds are old and very Hawaiian and very lovely. This is really the only hotel on Waikiki that retains the flavor of old Waikiki from the 50's and 60's, the magical years. Although breakfast was excellent the food overall was the only weak spot. Dinner at Azure overpriced and not that good. If you value a feeling of the past and want an oasis in the hustle bustle of Honolulu then this is the place to stay.

1  Thank William G

Mahalo for choosing to spend the rest of your vacation with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We couldn't be happier to hear that you found our staff to be so gracious and helpful, that you enjoyed our manicured grounds, old world ambiance and delicious ocean front breakfasts.
We thank you also for your feedback on our food and beverage overall, which we have shared with our Chef.
We greatly appreciate your recommendation of our resort and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future. With kind regards, The Royal Hawaiian Team.