“Good but not perfect”

Ranked #6 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Sequim
“Good but not perfect”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Thought service was awesome but had some issueswith hotel. Thought Internet was almost nonexistent and they had small card saying they were upgrading and to go down to lobby. This is unacceptable in this day and age. I thought hotel was in need of facelift as room looked worn. Coffee at breakfast had a chlorine taste and although my husband complained, it could not be rectified. After second day of it, went elsewhere. My reason to stay at the Kahala was location, I hate the overcrowded Waikiki area, but with the Trump and Halekulani about same cost it might be worth the crowds. In fairness to the Kahala, we did not use their beach or pool and were there to visit family. As other reviewers have stated, this might be a big reason to stay here also.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ArdyceS
The_Kahala_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Aloha Ardyce~ Thank you taking the time to share your feedback with us, it very important to us that we hear our guest's concerns. As you were aware we are in the process of upgrading our wifi system, we sincerely apologize, I know that not having internet access can be quite frustrating. Your feedback regarding our coffee has been brought to our management's attention and ensure such atypical issues do not occur again in the future. We are happy to let you know that, as a part of our commitment to improve and upgrade our resort, we are installing new carpets throughout the resort. The estimated time of completion will be by the end of the year. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to deliver you an exceptional stay in the future. With Warmest Regards and Many Thanks, The Kahala Hotel & Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed here on our honeymoon thirty years ago. The hotel then was the Kahala Hilton. They graciously upgraded us to the lagoon and we fell in love with the dolphins. We were celebrating our 30th anniversary and returned. The quality and beauty were still there. The staff was amazing. The attention to detail was noticed and appreciated. Dolphin Quest has taken over the lagoon and dolphin experience. I was hesitant to utilize their program for several reasons. But, after reading of their experience, care and quality of program, I jumped in the water. I would recommend them highly. The dolphins are not bored and the interaction was a highlight. It was hard to sleep at night as they splashed and played and I just wanted to watch.
We ate at the Veranda and enjoyed a wonderful buffet each morning. The location is perfect. Can't wait to go again!

1 Thank JeriLG
The_Kahala_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Aloha JeriLG~ First I would like to congratulate you on celebrating your 30th anniversary! And thank you for sharing your wonderful dolphin experience. Our resident dolphins really make our hotel unique and truly special. We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your morning breakfast and our Veranda lounge. Thank you again for sharing your special milestone with us. We can't wait to welcome you back! From all of us here at the Kahala Hotel & Resort.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I've never written a review for anything on any site ever in my life, and that's about to change because I want to tell the world that that this resort is one of the magical places I've ever been!

From the minute we drove up to valet, I felt like I was in a fairy tale. Every single member of the staff was friendly and knew my name by day 2, my room was heavenly, the pool staff was available at all times to refill my ice tea or bring me a lunch menu, the front desk was more than helpful, the access to the beach was so close to the pool that I could go back and forth so easily and there was always staff available for any requests or questions. I can't say enough amazing things about this place.

I also need to mention the bed and the bedding! If there was a way I could put it all in my suitcase and take it home, I would have! Honestly the best bed and bedding I've ever experienced.

This trip was worth every penny! I can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Aloha Sara~ Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We feel so special that we are the first resort that you have reviewed. It is so nice to hear that from the very minute you arrived you experienced our magical brand of Aloha. Thank you for your loyalty to our resort and for taking the time to write such wonderful words about your stay with us. We can't wait to welcome you back again! With many thanks and aloha from all of us at The Kahala Hotel & Resort.
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Endless views of the ocean, waves dancing off the reef, a hotel that has everything and located in the heart of exclusive properties nearby. The Kahala is just amazing. Breakfast on the terrace overlooking the bay ..... beautiful.!!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank AnitaPerc
Orange County, California
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We just returned from our seventh stay at the Kahala Resort and it was one of if not the best stay we have had. I have gone into great detail in prior reviews so I will focus on something new.

We booked our stay after receiving an email about a limited time offer they had. We have received these before and used them. If you are considering the Kahala, get on their email list. It is definitely worth it.

The offer we used was a greatly reduced rate on the Partial Ocean View Suites and we are thrilled that we booked it. We have tried several room categories from Dolphin Lagoon, Ocean Front Lanai to Ocean Front Suite. Obviously the Ocean Front Suite was awesome but not exactly the most cost conscious. So when we received an offer for the POV Suite we decided to give it a try. First of all, I thought based on the room map that the view would not be great. I could not have been more wrong! In some ways, the view was better than the Ocean Front. We had a much more panoramic view of the hills, golf course AND the ocean. Yes, it is not as flat out ocean view, but you absolutely can see plenty of it. (We were on the 5th floor of 10 which was great.)

Having the extra space was awesome including two full bathrooms, a living room and the lanai.

Plus, with the suite, even at the special rate, we had the suite amenity package which included transfers to and from the hotel, a beach cabana every day, breakfast, afternoon drinks and snacks, morning coffee, etc. For us, it was definitely worth it, especially given that the offer was at a rate lower than some non-suite room categories.

As always, the food was uniformly awesome from the breakfasts, to the Veranda to the fish tacos on the beach.

I particularly appreciate the hotel’s flexibility. We had originally booked only 3 nights but we were able to add a 4th night at the original rate no problem at all.

The hotel also delivered a nice bottle of champagne in honor of our anniversary which was an improvement over last year.

If we had it to do over, we would have stayed all 7 nights at the Kahala, but such is life.
We will definitely be back as this may well have been the best stay.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the Partial Ocean View Suite. Book the category you want as the hotel does not see...
1 Thank SarahInSoCal
Long Beach, California
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This property is amazing. The beach is perfect for paddle board, snorkel, kayak or just floating. There is a reef off shore where the waves break so the water is like a calm lagoon. The staff absolutely reflect at 5 star hotel, always friendly and asking what they can do for you, from unpacking your bags, bringing extra bottled water, always addressing you by name, having soft tropical music playing in your always clean room....it's just amazing. The beach cabana boys set up your beach chairs and towels (not an extra charge like most resorts) anywhere on the beach that you choose and there's always someone checking if you need drinks or food. The buffet breakfast and dinners were outstanding. It was very hard to leave!

Room Tip: Our "partial ocean view with lanai" actually faced the mountain. If we leaned out over th...
2 Thank OceanVu4me
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Wow!!! This is a hotel we will never in our lifetime forget about.
My husband and I visited The Kahala on our honeymoon back in October 2010! Right from the word go it was an absolute delight. We had a beautiful mountain view room, a chilled bottle of champagne on arrival and the soothing, sweet sound of 'Hawaiian Dreams' escaping from the speakers in the room.
We couldn't get enough of the food in the resort either, from their exotic buffet breakfasts, lovely salads and refreshments whilst sunbathing on the beach at lunch and fresh fish at dinner.
Additionally, walking past the dolphins every morning was an experience of a lifetime!
Our first night dining at Hoku's was extra special too as we were served a congratulations cake at the end of our meal.

No holiday or hotel will ever compare, all I can say is we cannot wait to return again one day! Thank you Kahala Hotel for making our stay so amazingly wonderful :)

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple