“Ever Consistent”

Ranked #5 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
California
“Ever Consistent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I love that the Kahala has consistency in their rooms. And through the on line booking tool, visitors can easily ensure they can exactly the room they want and at the rate the visitor wants to pay.

I always book the ocean facing rooms/suites and love the sun light and wave sounds. The yellow walls and white bedding create a true area of relaxation. The king size bed is super luxurious. An elegant ceiling fan allows one just the right amount of island air circulation. The large bath with separate shower and tub are spacious and I enjoy the additional drawers and shelving space in the bathrooms. The robes and slippers are nice to use during your stay.

I was surprised by the rather large amount of children at the resort in mid-March. (Parents, please do not allow your children to run up and down the halls at any time of the day yelling to their heart's content. Many guests try to enjoy peace and quiet in their rooms,) I was watching several of the Academy Award nominated films as I waited for the winds to calm down a bit.

High winds thwarted our beach visit this week. If you are beach walkers, wear shoes as the hotel's beach is rather short, but a walk can easily be extended around the area, if one wears flip flops or sneakers.

While not the most accommodating staff, the room attendants are pure delights. They are always so helpful and want to make sure everything in your room is perfect. I did not have the chance to visit the spa on this most recent trip, but I have had some of the most amazing massages at the Kahala Spa. Highly recommend the Spa and the massage services offered. I did want to mention that the Bell Staff is usually helpful. Our front desk reception and check in was handled very professionally by Ralph. We did request an additional room up check in, and I think we may have thrown him a curve ball, but he handled the requests like a pro.

The food available around the pool and on the beach is typical beach fare. Fish tacos, ask for a corn tortilla or you will receive a flour tortilla. The nachos are pretty good, but ask for a side of guacamole and pico de gallo. The hot dog is served on a long roll, not a bun, so be prepared.

In my room, 409, I could hear a guest in another room taking a bath and each time another guest in a close by room closed their door, I thought it was very loud. The sounds outside the room were very much a part of my room. Not mentioning the kids running up and down the halls, ringing door bells and using their outdoor voices. Perhaps some sound dampening measures can be taken.

I like that the Kahala is not on Waikiki, but if it is morphing into a year round family destination and children will be running around as if they are at a Disney resort or a Marriott, i may have to return to the Halekulani.

Room Tip: Use the color coded property map to choose the room size, room location and room price that you want...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your resort experience following your most recent stay. I was pleased to see that you had a good time and were very comfortable in your guest room. Your positive feedback about our spa services and our Housekeeping and Bell staff is certainly appreciated, however, your other comments were also noted. Any disturbance caused by noisy youngsters is regrettable, and I am sorry for any inconvenience in that regard. Families are always welcome at our resort, and they usually book more frequently over any holiday weekend or school break period. Thank you for your suggestion to look into possible sound-dampening measures. Again, it was thoughtful of you to take the time to write and we appreciate your continued patronage. My staff and I are looking forward to your next visit. Aloha and best wishes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

The rooms and the views are beautiful, as you would expect. But the service is what gets you - warm, genuine, going out of their way to make your experience special, from the room, to the food, to the careful advice about your daily choices for fun and relaxation. I'm a frequent visitor to hawaii and used to stay at other hotels to save a little money. I found the extra I spend on the Kahala is repaid to me 100 times in added experience, relaxation, and feeling pampered before it's time to go home. I also like the location a short distance from Waikiki, but not so far that you can't go in for dinner or shopping.

Coming here as a single woman, I feel completely cared for by the staff -they look out for you. The concierge and bell desk help with recommendations and directions. The restaurant staff and the beach/ pool staff are plentiful and look for ways to serve you. This is not one of those places where you need to flag down someone or where the staff do not make eye contact - EVERYONE across all levels seems to really care.

The beach is uncrowded and gorgeous.

The breakfast buffet is scrumptious, with healthy choices, fresh omelets, and fresh fruits, large selection of homemade jams and baked goods. The staff are warm and catering even when the place is packed, as it was on weekends ..... the buffet was the highlight of every morning. I can't wait to go back.

The Kahala spa was out of this world. Beautiful spa rooms, luxurious treatment, knowledgable about their products and delivered a customized massage with lots of aloha..... unbelievably serene and relaxing. I highly recommend the Alii Detox massage, which really helped me relax and recover from a cold and sore muscles from a hike the day before.

The very fun Diamond Head hike is just 10 minutes away and offers spectacular island views at the top. It's not too hard, just bring stable shoes (sneakers) and take your time.

Room Tip: The Mountain room with lanai is my favorite - with spectacular views of the mountains and golf cours...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sending your very kind compliments following your most recent stay. I was so delighted to see that our guest services and facilities continue to exceed your expectations. It is always a pleasure to pamper you when you are with us, from breakfast service to pool and beach activites and spa treatments. My staff and I will always look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully, sometime soon. Aloha and best wishes.
Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have been to Hawaii several times but this was by far the best ever! The resort is classy and elegant, the service was great: at the front desk, room service, plumeria restaurant, by the pool, at the grill, at the beach. Highly recommended! Will go back for sure.

Room Tip: The view is great all around!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for all of your wonderful feedback following your recent stay at our resort. Nothing makes us happier than to hear that we have left our guests wanting more of our magical brand of aloha. We always try to provide a pleasant and memorable resort experience for our guests, and your comments are greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions. Aloha and best wishes.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Quiet and elegant hotel away from the busy streets in Honolulu. Food is great and the service is the best. Very friendly and efficient staff. Only thing is if you're looking for night life and a bar to mix and mingle after dinner, you should grab a taxi into town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our resort. I was pleased to see that you particularly enjoyed our quiet location and the services provided by our friendly staff. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon. Aloha and best wishes.
Zionsville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a great resort -- the best in Honolulu because of the private secluded beach. You can't get a lounge chair on the beach anywhere else in Waikiki. The room was wonderful although I was initially put in an accessible room and I did not like the bathroom. I was moved to another room the last three nights of my stay and it was exceptional. The service is good but not Four Seasons standards. All of the food was exceptional and I dined at all the restaurants. The breakfast buffet

Room Tip: The hotel will not guarantee a room and I was put in an accessible room initially. Book away from t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to send your comments following your recent stay at our resort. I was delighted to see that you had a good time and especially enjoyed our secluded location. I was also pleased to see that we found a more suitable room to meet your needs and that the food and service in our dining outlets exceeded your expectations. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back the next time you plan a visit to our beautiful island. Aloha and best regards.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent 7 days at the Kahala. We really enjoyed the quiet beach and grounds of the resort. Food and service was excellent from start to end. The only reason for a one point down grade was the lack of WiFi in our room. No issues with connection in other areas of the resort and we had wired connection in our room, so not really an issue. If you have a car there is a charge for parking $25 per day, but valet service was excellent and having a car to make the quick trip to Waikiki and others areas of the island worth it. The main attraction for us was that this resort is not in the crazy traffic and crowds of Waikiki. It was a very relaxing environment, with all the amenities you could want with 10 min drive (stay off the H1 if you can) into the restaurants and bars of Waikiki.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Larry R
The_Kahala_Hotel, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are proud of our beautiful secluded resort and I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed the property. I am also pleased to hear that you have enjoyed our dining experiences at our restaurants and nothing makes me happier than to hear that my staff delivered excellent service. I thank you once again for sharing your experiences with us and look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to the island. Aloha.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We spent two nights and three gorgeous days here. It was a very busy time in Waikiki and we had a difficult time finding accommodations on short notice. Instead we ended up at The Kahala and had a fabulous stay. The location is gorgeous and the staff are all friendly and helpful. We had a mountain view room and enjoyed sitting and looking at the hills and homes on that side of the hotel. At other times we enjoyed sitting beachfront and looking at the ocean. Our room was super comfortable and beautifully decorated. The bed was great too. It was fun to see the children and guests being entertained by the dolphin experience which we watched. Ev ery time we called for our car it was there before we got downstairs. We will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us during your recent visit to Honolulu. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful secluded property with our wonderful views of the mountain, beach and dolphin lagoon. At The Kahala, we continuously strive to deliver exceptional service to every one of our guests and I was delighted to hear that you were pleased with our staff's services. My staff and I look forward to servicing you during your next visit to the island. Warm regards and Mahalo.