“Idyllic holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Melbourne, Australia
“Idyllic holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I loved this place.

First impressions weren't that great, it looks quite old (which it is) and the high rise in particular looks very dated. Up close you see that everything is in immaculate shape. Every inch is freshly painted and clean and there is a real classic feel.

FOOD:
(my priority)
Food was great, breakfast standard buffet but perfectly fine, except that the wait for a table was 15min once or twice, admittedly on the two busiest days of the year. Poolside drinks fantastic, reasonable range of poolside food for lunches. Dinner options good, the bar outside the main restaurant had great drinks, very sophisticated ambience with a superb musician and sleekly attired staff, good wines. Hoku was a fine restaurant, great wine list, and priced OK if I remember rightly.

POOL/BEACHES
The pool is pretty small and generally too warm although it cooled down after a couple of days. The kids loved it. I was a bit surprised at how kid-friendly it was as a few people had suggested the Kahala was a more adult-oriented resort...in fact I find it hard to imagine Hollywood celebrities hanging out by the pool which is a pretty noisy hive of activity..lots of great pool toys in the pool or for sale for the children.
Beach was stunning, the staff set you up with a deckchair or pod chair, the beach here is totally calm and perfect for canoeing. You can get more privacy here if you want. We were at ground level so could walk out onto the sand within a minute. Beautiful night sky and stars.

SERVICE
Impeccable, friendly, service, coming from Australia especially you really appreciate people just going out of their way to make sure you are completely happy. Can't praise this highly enough.

SLEEP
No noise issues of any kind that I recall (except for New Year's Eve fireworks)

OTHER
15 minutes to Honolulu can't be beat...we had dinner at Nobu and then popped back to our "private" beach, what a setup!

NEGATIVES
Well none to do with the hotel at all, but as you may know the hotel is built around a lagoon housing dolphins. I feel strongly (even more so since my stay) that these animals should not be kept in captivity. They are obviously cared for to the highest standards but this sort of attraction will hopefully be a thing of the past soon. I still give the hotel 5 stars as this is a personal opinion only.

Room Tip: If you want to watch dolphins the lagoon room is perfect. Otherwise don't get a lagoon room!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Kahala_Hotel, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Aloha, we are very happy that you had such a great vacation with us at The Kahala and are very grateful that you would share your experience with us and the rest of the online community. Nothing makes us happier than to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations and were able to deliver that special magical brand of Aloha. Moreoever, we are happy to hear you enjoyed the food and drinks at our Hoku's and Veranda. Again, thank you very much for the kind review and recommendation of the property. Please do come visit us again soon, but until then we wish you a fond aloha a hui ho!

With kindest regards,
Roseann Grippo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Waipahu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent my birthday here last year and I have to say, it's been the best experience I've ever had at a hotel. We had a gorgeous ocean view room. There is nothing like waking up to dolphins swimming right outside your balcony. Their fantastic staff made it seem like going out of their way to make your stay enjoyable a common thing. The hotel's GM even took a moment to strike up a short conversation while passing us in the hotel lobby. The food was incredible, and the lounge and atmosphere was nothing short of perfect. My girlfriend has been looking forward to returning there for her birthday this year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jomar M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I live here on Oahu, and I spend a lot of time at the Kahala Hotel and Resort with my family. For the second year, my wife and I put her parents up at the Hotel during the Christmas holidays. Their stay was perfect. The service, atmosphere, and hospitality shown by the staff and service people are absolutely the best on the Island. The rooms are beautifully appointed and large. The beach staff will make sure your drink is always full. I recommend a Tropical Itch while on the beach. You even get a backscratcher! Highly recommend this be where you stay on Oahu.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Kahala_Hotel, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Mahalo for sharing your wonderful comments about our resort. It is such a delight to hear that our guests have been amazed with our majical brand of Aloha and find our classic ambiance to the tropical drinks to be exceptional.Thank you for your loyalty to our resort and for taking the time to write such wonderful words about your stays with us. We can't wait to welcome you back again, We will have your Tropical Itch waiting for you!

Happy New Year!
Honolulu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

There is a reason I like this hotel. Everyone here caters to your needs in most sincere way. Because of hotel staffs' dedicated personal care, my trip to Hawaii was the most memorable. Hoku's dinning experiance was exquisite and fantastic although I wish there was more variety of menus that I can select.
Kahala was just what I needed for my 15th anniversary.I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants tranquility and piece of Hawaii in their mind.
- Freezerman from JIC -

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aloha for such kind compliments and congratulations on your 15th anniversary! Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. Our culinary team really welcome input and I will let them know that you suggested more variety. Mahalo for your loyalty to our resort and for taking the time to write such wonderful words about your stays with us. We can't wait to welcome you back again!

With Kindest Regards,
honolulu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

for lack of pictures, let me describe in the minds eye, the utter attractiveness of a private invitation only exclusive event for the treasured guests and local clients of Honolulu's magnificent high class hotel: imagine pulling up the spacious horseshoe stone driveway and your door graciously opened and keys handed to a smart gentleman whilst your family is also attended to, immediately mesmerized by the christmas music, walking through the graceful decorated entrance arches to be greeted by attentive servers with delectable morsels and fine wines and freshly squeezed juices for your nourishment, seeing the happy smiling faces of the well dressed companions on this balmy starry holiday eve, children chasing each other through the small safe indoor outdoor crowd through to the guarded balcony overlooking the tranquil cerulean pacific reflecting the giant moon, jolly santa ho-hoing and picture taking in the gift- laden corner, and the unbelievably sky reaching tastefully ornamented christmas tree as the focal point of expectation....as the conversational hum of the guests begins to somehow harmonize with the angelic music, and children from the schools with matching heavenly voices decked in their best attire sing their rendition of holiness...parents and grandparents bursting with pride and good cheer; a brief, respectful speech by the hotel's general manager- the lovely Roseann Grippo...culminating to the wondrous eyes of all, the lighting of the blessed arbor....(perhaps i had too much wine, but it was genuinely a delightful evening..and so indicative of the service and hospitality i have come to expect and is consistently delivered by the classy Kahala:)

San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I had our wedding here in January, and were delighted with every aspect of this beautiful resort and its services.

If you are seeking a beautiful, elegant, and also warm and friendly destination for your wedding/honeymoon/or other special occasion, look no further. This is the best Hawaii has to offer!

Food and service at all levels were outstanding. Hotel staff up through the top levels of management personally went out of their way to ensure our group had a wonderful time. Thanks again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ry2hawai
Aloha and thank your leaving such lovely comments and congratulations! We are so honored to be a part of something so special in ones life. I can't thank you enough for your loyalty to our resort and for taking the time to write such wonderful words about your stays with us. We can't wait to welcome you back again!

Mahalo!
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Having had an incredibly busy year, I picked the Kahala Hotel & Resort as it is away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki and I wanted a relaxing atmosphere in which I could just unwind with my family. My daughter was absolutely thrilled with getting to play with the dolphins! I would definitely recommend experience swimming with them at least one time.
What's really nice is if you want a little retail therapy the Kahala mall is 5 minutes away. And if you want a date night, the Kahala has baby sitting services. Which is absolutely fabulous when you are traveling with little ones.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Kahala_Hotel, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Mahalo Nui Loa and thank you for staying with us. It delights me to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we were able to exceed your expectations. I’m so happy that your daughter enjoyed playing with the dolphins. Thank you for your loyalty to our resort and for taking the time to write such wonderful words about your stays with us. We can't wait to welcome you back again!

With many thanks and aloha from all of us at The Kahala Hotel & Resort.