“This Review is of the Kaneohe Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #357 of 2,326 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Kaneohe, HI
“This Review is of the Kaneohe Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Although I've eaten at the Piikoi Street location before, this review is of the brand new Kaneohe venue. For the address, go to their website.

As far as the food, service, ambience and everything else is concerned, this new location is every bit as good as the Piikoi store. There are two kinds of dining areas: the standard tables and the tables with sunken areas for your legs (rather than a very low table at which you have to sit "Japanese style" sort of with your legs crossed under you). This sort of "tatami room" at which you have to take off your shoes should be very reminiscent of being in a typical restaurant in Japan. This latter type of "private room" can be very nice if you have a large party, but when you have to share the room with a party of strangers (often with screaming kids...no one tells their offspring that screaming in a public restaurant is wrong) it takes away from the atmosphere a little.

One thing about which I have no complaint is the food. I've been to many Japanese "nabe" restaurants in the US and in Japan, and this food ranks right up there at the top. Last night all of us had the really superb beef sukiyaki, but on other occasions I've enjoyed their really excellent shabu-shabu, and both of these have been totally wonderful and enjoyable. You're provided with an electric hot plate and a large bowl in which to cook your food. Your server provided the two sauces needed to create a perfect sukiyaki and you set about to do the cooking yourself. For once there's NO WAY you can criticize the cook. I found the sauces to be excellent and the beef and vegetables were just right. I totally enjoyed the experience of dining here. I give it a hearty two thumbs up and give it my highest recommendation.

One more thing: if you're planning on having beer, be sure you get the "on tap" Japanese beer. It's really cold, crisp and enjoyable. They also have bottled Japanese (Sapporo) beer as well, but the draft Kirin was better.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Whitsiepoo

London, United Kingdom
“WOW”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

ok I have never been Japanese before, but I loved it! I liked the taking off your shoes the low table and cushions, everything was soo exciting for me, we went at the happy hour and got a great deal on the beers, sadly no milk so no cup of tea for me, they did serve geen tea for free if you like that, the others who have had japanese before said it was good, i liked what they ordered for me,

• Visited March 2013
Vail, Colorado
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

We tried the Shabu-Shabu and Nabu and both were amazing. The wait staff was very helpfull in explaining the food and what to do, as this was our first time eating In Shabu-Shabu restaurant. Excellent food, awesome service!!!

Hawaii
“Great nabe would be better with NO MSG”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I almost fell asleep after a nice lunch of Ichiriki nabe from what had to be MSG in the broth. I have stopped eating at many asian restaurants in Hono because unless there is a sign in the window... asian restaurants use broth that has MSG in shabushabu, soups and some even add handfuls of MSG. I can tell because my feet bloat up and I feel very sleepy in the middle of the day. Hey you guys.. you have a nice restaurant and it is packed ... so please I hope you do not use MSG... please put it on a sign at the front door and on your menu that you do not use this brain eating MonoSodiumGlutamate that is a cause of Alzheimers.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Kamakanuiahailono
kaneohe
“Excellent quality, great atmosphere, friendly staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

Ichiriki is my favorite restaurant in Honolulu. The owners take great pride in the quality of their authentic Japanese nabemono menu. Try the pirikara and the curry nabe. For large parties you can be seated in a semi-private area with sunken seats (remove your shoes please). I have even seen local halau performing hula in the loft lounge on the second floor. Ichiriki has become so poplar that a second restaurant opened in Aiea; a larger space but with the same great food. Fantastic for parties as well.