“Fun and Friendly place for Tourists and Locals”

Hula's Bar & Lei Stand
Ranked #221 of 2,350 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, American
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Los Angeles, California
“Fun and Friendly place for Tourists and Locals”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

During our vacation in Oahu - this has been our place to hang out and have a few drinks after a full of activities. I've tried to bars in Oahu but this feels like a hawaiian by the beach type of bars. The bartneder were friendly. The drinks are not watered down. Eli the bartender was super cute and very friendly. I like that the people who were around at those time we came were very causal with their flip flops and shorts. No pressure to dress nice - just your standard bar by the beach...I like it even better when the windows were not shut at night...Mahalo!!!

• Visited April 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“Worst service ive had in North America”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I am a gay guy and booked accomodation in the same building as Hula's so i popped down on Sunday afternoon to check it out.
First drink i ordered Soda Water and vodka, and the barman served me Sprite and vodka which i couldnt drink as i am diabetic.
Second drink i ordered he billed it to my tab but didnt actually bring a drink over, and i had to remind him 10 minutes later.
Third drink i ordered he gave it to the bloke standing next to me.
Im guessing that because Hula's has a monopoly of daytime gay Honolulu venues, that bad service is acceptable. My tipping did the talking.
The best thing about Hula's was the customers, which you can meet good folks anywhere. NOT recommended.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Matthew R
“Be sure to enjoy the Catamaran Cruise they offer, too!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Over my two week stay in Oahu, Hula's was my go-to place as a gay man sort of a gay "Cheers" type of place where everyone starts or ends their night here. Before I forget: definitely purchase the Catamaran cruise tickets. One of the highlights of my vacation was the compnay of fellow gay men, the cruise, and the crushed-ice Mai Tais...mmph they were delicious! I also stopped by before or sometimes after the beach for daytime drinks and lunch were great. A place that offers Mai Tai pitchers? Definitely my type of place! Staff were friendly, accomodating and held conversations with ease. I am happy I took David up on his offer to upgrade the Mai Tai to a premium rum-- I definitely had lift-off after making the switch. The crowd here was a mix of locals and tourists-- just what I like. Being only my second visit to Oahu I am hoping to learn more via future trips about the gay scene here.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Evhlarox
Rouyn-Noranda, Qc, Canada
“Very good food and service”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had a seafood combo with swordfish, shrimps and scallops over rice, very tasty. The service was great. Great wine list.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Yvon_Bourgouin
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great bartenders made for a fun time”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

A friend and I spent several nights and one afternoon visiting Hula's over 2 separate weekends in Waikiki. The drinks are good and strong. The bartenders are all very nice and we found ourselves going back to the same ones over and over. David, Skyler and Evan all stood out for their friendliness and eagerness to help with drinks as well as recommendations for dinner and things to see on Oahu.

We didn't try the food, but did notice others eating what looked like very nice dishes. Over several nights we did have baskets of their popcorn. Delicious! A gay bar is not a place I think of as a great place to get popcorn. Try Hula's. We loved the popcorn.

As Waikiki is a very touristy area, you should expect to see and meet lots of tourists in Hula's. We had a great time talking to other tourists and locals alike.

Thanks again to Skyler, who helped with dinner plans, and to David and cutie Evan who not only served good drinks, they also indulged our requests for pictures with them. Lots of people are good looking in this world. Not all good looking people will come around the bar to let a tourist take a picture with them. It takes nice good looking people for that. On our last night in town, we were in there for a little while, and it was Evan's night off, but he was in there with friends. When he noticed us sitting at the bar, he came over to speak to us even though he was not working. Very nice.

You can have a great location, and Hula's has about the best for any gay bar I know. But location will only do so much if you have staff that doesn't make the customers feel welcome. Nice people working to make your guests happy make for a great experience in your bar. Hula's has found just that in David and Evan and Skyler.

• Visited March 2013