“First Time Surfing - and I Surfed!”

Hans Hedemann Surf School
Book In Advance
More Info
$78.53*
and up
Group Surf Lesson in Oahu
More attraction details
Owner description: Surf School established in 1995 by pro surfer Hans Hedemann. We provide 1 and 2 hour lessons daily for surfing, stand up paddling and body boarding at both our south shore & north shore locations for all levels of surfers, plus we have north shore tours that leave from Waikiki. Give us a call for more details or to make a reservation.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 10, 2012

For whatever reason, I was actually a bit nervous about the semi-private surf lessons my wife and I scheduled during our honeymoon. I've never surfed and figured Hawaii was a good place to learn as any. Our surf instructor's name was Spencer. He actually must have noticed us waiting prior to our lesson in the hotel lobby bar and came over and asked if we were with the group lesson or semi private. When we told him we were the semi private he lit up and introduced himself as our instructor. The lessons and in water surfing experience were great - but if you don't like tough love, Spencer might not be for you. My wife got scared after getting turned over on her first try in the water and didn't want to try again. Spencer was a bit hard on her - urging her to keep trying, but she was done and that was that.

So he spent almost the entire rest of the time with me. I caught maybe 8-10 waves and surfed most of them until they died down, or I turned out of them. Spencer would consistently reiterate points of the lesson during our time in the water - telling me what I did wrong and what I can do next time to do a bit better - which is good and which is what an instructor should do. His tips helped and by the end I was surfing pretty well. The only negative remark I can say is that every wave I caught, he pushed me into and so I'm not confident I could go out surfing alone successfully.

Instead of just having me catch waves with his assistance time after time, I think teaching my the technique to catch the waves on my own (paddling technique and positioning tips) would have been good use of the time. I'm not complaining though because I had a great time. Oh and did I mention a Surf School representative sits on shore and takes pictures of you surfing? The pictures are available for $35 (I think) and they even put them on an SD card I had with me so I was able to upload them to my iPad right away!

1  Thank Mike B

Reviewed September 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I had never surfed before and with the help of our awesome instructor Seth we ended up catching quite a few waves! Seth was very patient and a great teacher. He could read the waves really well so we were both riding waves almost instantly. This was a great experience and we definitely caught the surfing bug!

1  Thank Lindsay S
Reviewed August 26, 2012

At the Turtle Bay resort. They had us up and surfing after a brief land lesson. Can't believe I got up and rode the waves. Wonderful instructors and they have a photographer who captures it all and for a fee you walk awayq with a cd of pictures

Reviewed August 7, 2012

My 18-year-old son and 13-year-old daughter wanted to learn how to surf, and they did it the first day with the Hans Hedemann people. I settled for semi-private lesson, which meant my two kids had one instructor to watch both of them, for $250 ($125 for each). It was cheaper if you paid the for the group rate, which I think was somewhere between $75 and $100, but I wanted my kids to have more supervision, and it paid off. My son had taken lessons four years prior, but my daughter had never taken lessons. Both took to the waves and got lots of chances to catch waves. Both said it was best they had 1 instructor to watch both of them. Look for a coupon for the school and you get a free T-shirt. If you want to take your own pictures of your surfer, you'll need a good telephoto lens and to go at the end of pier, not the beach. Just follow the HH photographer. We paid for the CD of pictures from the HH photographer, and it was worth it. He had lots of pictures of my kids. Go in the early morning for surfing, and reserve the day before. Park by the Honolulu Zoo. It's cheap...just get there early.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

While vacationing in Hawaii with my mom and three kids, we all took private surfing lessons with HH Surf School. My kids (ages 14, 11 and 10) were surfing in no time and probably caught 20+ waves. Before I knew it, I saw my 11 year old standing on the board--- SURFING!!!!!!

I didn't catch as many, but still had a great time. My mom is 71 and was not able to actually stand on the board, but she did have a great time riding the waves (on her knees). Even though "seniors" have surfed, you do have to be able to get into a standing position with relative ease. Anyway..... the kids had such a great experience, that we went a second time a few days later with HH.

They even have a photographer and you can buy a CD of all your surfing photos for $30!

Next time we are in Hawaii, we will take more lessons with HH. I do think that the private lessons are worth the money. The kids instructors were Chelsea, Tim and Simon---- MAHALO!