“Highlight of our trip”

Aha 'Aina a Royal Celebration at The Royal Hawaiian
Ranked #11 of 33 Concerts & Shows in Honolulu
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This luau was a stunning presentation and the highlight of our trip.Situated outside on the beach at sunset,it was magical. The emcee did a fabulous job walking us through Hawaii's history,as the performers danced and sang. The male performers were especially amazing with their powerful dances.The Firedancer was captivating and there was not a sound from the audience as he performed.
We loved the meal and found it to be beautifully presented and tasted delicious! Drinks are free,as it is an open bar.

We paid extra for front row seats(Premium seating) and it was well worth it. Expensive evening,but worth the cost!!!

5  Thank Landrys05
There are newer reviews for Aha 'Aina a Royal Celebration at The Royal Hawaiian

Reviewed July 19, 2012

If you are lucky enough to get to the island and stay away from the tour extravaganza frenzy that is waikiki/honolulu then you'll truly experience the magic of the island (not via tourbus). THIS luau is exactly for those kinds of tourists - which is not us.

I'm not taking anything away from the performers of this luau, they are fantastic and great performers, but it's almost an abomination of the 'story of Hawaii' - where they lightly fluff over how their country was taking over by the US - which again, if you're not of the bus/tour/kitchy waikiki crew, you'll quickly notice.

what would have been perfect would have been a show of different dances of the regions, we don't need an Emcee spouting off this and thats (AGAIN she was an amazing EMCEE) while the performers parade around in their various show sequences - a musical tour of the history of Hawaii. - it's embarassing.

the food was what you'd expect from a pre-fix menu for 300 people. Presentation was very nice, but the main course, short ribs, should have been lau lau pig - and it was dried out. Dessert looked and taseted like a little debbies cake with store bought frosting.

Do yourself a favor - find a live performance of traditional dancing and eat a plate dish before you see it - it will be much more awarding and WAY LESS EXPENSIVE!

8  Thank greentea13
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband and I went for our 5th Anniversary and enjoyed it from start to finish. Beautiful setting, friendly performers who took the time to educate us on Hawaiian history and culture, and excellent food made this a very special evening for us...The view of Diamond Head was also a plus.

2  Thank MrsPrigg
Reviewed May 4, 2012

This is another instance where half stars would be helpful. Overall the Aha 'Aina is a 3 1/2, I went with 4 because it is better than average, but not quite "very good" all things considered. That isn't a knock on the quality of the show or the food, both were pretty good, probably worthy of 4 stars for the quality of the food and 5 stars for the entertainment, but the lack of variety in the entrees and the rather high cost ($169+tax as of May '12) knock it down to no better than 3 1/2 stars.

The Hawaiian food, poke, Kalua pig, lomi lomi, etc. come as amuse bouches not appetizers that you can really appetize (for lack of a better word) on. The tastes are nice, but not sufficient for someone who wants great, traditional luau food.

The salad course was a rather ordinary green salad dressed up with some interesting dressings and a bit of duck, but again, not sufficient imagination or quality for the price being charged.

The entree was Wagyu beef "braised" and I am not sure why you braise Waygu beef, that is like putting ketchup on Kobe beef. It was fairly tasty, but I would have preferred a grilled Waygu. The lobster tail was overly spiced. It was well cooked, but like the beef, I would have preferred it more simple with sauces, even just drawn butter, on the side.

The highlight of the meal from a food standpoint was dessert, chocolate covered cheesecake "lollipop", what a great idea, I am surprised no one has started a stand alone business selling them. Or maybe someone has and I just don't know it.

Now, the show itself. No criticisms here, it was a great show. The dancers did a great job and the narrator was excellent and very informative. If there was a $65 cocktail only show, we might do it again, but as it stands, paying for for the Aha 'Aina than we do at Alan Wong's or Orchids is just not going to happen again.

I would recommend it to friends who can afford to go out to multiple expensive meals, but this wouldn't be the place I would recommend for that one, over the top meal. There are probably ten places at least more worthy of the money.

11  Thank scottca075
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I normally hate luau's - I find them to be incredibly tacky. I would rate it as a 3 1/2 stars. I think it's better than average but not exactly "Very good".

This one was of a higher caliber luau. The food included filet & a sweet lobster - perfectly cooked [it wasn't chewy/rubbery at all, which drives me nuts].

I liked the story the show told. Although they did give a nod to the Tahitian style of hula [faster beats & fire dancing], they did not indulge in dragging up tourists in to learn how hula. That would've dropped the ratings for me significantly.

It was nice having Diamond Head as a "backdrop" for the show. The staff was friendly and kept the drinks coming.

Since I attended as a guest, I didn't have to pay for it. I don't think I'd be willing to pay that much to attend personally but would do it for any type of business event.

3  Thank Jenjenkay