“Don't bother and don't spend your money this way.”

Aha 'Aina a Royal Celebration at The Royal Hawaiian
Ranked #10 of 34 Concerts & Shows in Honolulu
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We decided we couldn't afford the Royal Hawaiian as a place to stay and instead signed up for the Monday night "luau," thinking it would be spectacular. We were moved inside (without prior notification) because of a rain prediction that didn't happen. We had to ask for the doors to the room to be open because it was so stuffy, the food was OK (no roasted pig here!), and the show was really not much, especially the announcer who is thankfully leaving to do a stint on Hawaii 5-0. The seating felt like we were at a conference dinner, and for all this, we paid $350 as a couple! Ah, the others things we could have done in Hawaii instead of wasting our time and money here-- We did have a lovely breakfast one day at the RH. January 2012

3  Thank Lynn65_12

Reviewed April 18, 2011

I wanted to attend a luau while my husband and I were in Hawaii. I did some research and this event at The Royal Hawaiian was highly rated so we booked tickets. For $150 per person I expected more. The food was OK. It was very much like what you get at a wedding. Sort of overcooked and room temp. We had to ask for several of the appetizers because we never got them. The dinner service was very quick, hardly any time to linger and the wait staff tried to pick up a few plates that people weren't done with because the person was waiting at the bar (because they couldn't get a drink brought to them at the table.....).

The show was entertaining but a bit cheesy. Although, I will say the setting was beautiful and the performer that did a fire dance was outstanding.

1  Thank Globetr0tter76
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I was very disappointed with this show. We were looking to go to an authentic Hawaiian Luau. This was far from that. It did not have the traditional roast pig etc. However, I must admit the food was very good. The dinner was very rushed, dishes brought in and swept away as soon as you finished, immediately replaced by the next course. During this time there was a Hawaiian band on stage, that was not very engaging. (I had a better time down the road listening to the nightly band at a restaurant called House w/out a key and the food there was equally as good.) The rest of the show was more like a dinner show on the history of Hawaii instead of a Luau. It was not very engaging. I didn't pay $150 a person to here Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy and watch the cast do the jitterbug. Also, since it had been raining, our show was inside. Overall, I would not recommend this show.

1  Thank rschut2
Reviewed December 31, 2010

When looking for a Luau to attend and reading some of the terrible reviews on Trip Advisor we settled on this one. The night we went it was raining so the Luau was held inside. The room was decorated well and the service was extremely good for the large number of tables and people. The food was exceptional and I dont know how they manged to do it with so many tables. You were served at your table food and drinks and I cannot speak highly enought of the quality of the food and the drinks kept coming.
Others at our table felt the show was more like a dinner show on a cruise liner rather than a traditional Luau and whilst it may have seemed like this we knew when we booked it was more a dinner show, however, that was our choice to make, we would rather have nice surrounding, quality food and table service with unlimited drinks close to our hotel, rather than being bussed into an industrial estate and quering for our buffet food and having drink vouchers and queing again for drinks, but each to their own. We would highly recommend this and it was well worth the price. Also only a few minutes walk to our hotel afterwards.

3  Thank Sheryll
Reviewed November 28, 2010

We had been to the Luau at the Royal many times before, but this event was fantastic. They no longer refer to this as a luau, but an Ahaina. The buffet with the kalua pork and macadamia nut encrusted mahi mahi is gone. You now have an elegant sit down dinner prepared under the supervision of a real chef with some traditional dishes and some very creative gourmet dishes in the sytle of the islands. The view at The Royal is spectacular and the show is very nicely done. Both the kids and the adults really liked it (they offered our youngest child a non-gourmet kids meal substitution on the main entree, and a special kids dessert.) The libations were elegant and free-flowing too. Great event if you are looking for something nicer than the usual. You'll feel appropriately dressed resort-smart.

5  Thank CamFamily