“Great views, great hike”

Diamond Head State Monument
Ranked #3 of 332 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A dormant volcano crater.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife had never hiked up Diamond Head. She was glad she did. The views are incredible. The hike is strenuous but anyone can do it. Just rest when you need to. I believe there are over 99 steps in one area.

Write a ReviewReviews (18,391)

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I must admit that I thought my wife was trying "to do me in" when she told me she wanted to hike to the top of Diamond Head. But, surprisingly, it wasn't that difficulty. The trails are fairly easy to negotiate. There are a lot of stairs to climb (almost 200) but you can take your time and stop to rest as needed. Once on top, you see why people make this a priority. There is a million dollar view of Waikiki and the city of Honolulu. It is breathtaking! Do not pass up the opportunity to do this when in Honolulu. I'd do it again in a minute!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Well worth the climb to the top. Not too challenging. Easy for children 5 and over to do in an hour. Railings along the entire climb and very well-maintained trail. Cool view of crater. Fee for adults to enter park.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I confess... I turned around half-way up, and headed back down. I knew I wasn't fit enough . I'm just here to echo what others are saying about the importance of GOOD footwear... the trail is very rough most of the way (my husband went to top), and i could not believe how many were wearing just flip flops, and even saw a lady in low heels! (she was in pain with each step); Just need your camera and water, and unless you could easily walk 3 miles (just for comparison)... I don't recommend the hike to the top (based on the medical "rescues" i heard about that day and later..) But I still enjoyed my "half hike" and the beautiful park.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The entire family liked the views. The walk was nice, but if you are out of shape it could be a challenge. Make sure to wear good walking shoes. I would not recommend anything like flip-flops.

Been to Diamond Head State Monument? Share your experiences!