“Easy trek and spectacular views”

Diamond Head State Monument
Ranked #3 of 321 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A dormant volcano crater.
New York City, New York
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Easy trek and spectacular views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Quite an easy trek (takes about 30 minutes) which is very well organized. The views are spectacular.

Visited September 2012

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

If you're looking for a place with amazing views of Honolulu and the Pacific Ocean, and, you're also looking for a little exercise, than look no further than Diamond Head Crater. As seen in my profile picture, I love DHC and I've made it a tradition to go there everytime I'm on the island of Oahu. Now, I recommend getting there early as the parking lot is small and you can find yourself waiting anywhere from 45 minutes to over an hour to access the trail. There is a $5 fee to park, but that's very reasonable. There are restroom facilities located at the begining of the trail, but that's it once you start your climb. The trail itself is approx. 1.5 miles and for the most part, it's a fairly easy walk. However, once you get close to the top, you must climb approx. 75 or 100 steep steps that will wear you out if you're not prepared, but if you can muster the energy, the views from the summit are unbelieveable! Gorgeous 360 degree views of the island and ocean.

If you're planing to do this trail, I do recommend bringing sufficient water, sunscreen, and a good pair of walking/hiking shoes. In addition, if you don't want to go all the way to the top, there are several lookout points along the way that you can stop and rest and take in the views!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank R E
Sydney, Australia
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 244 helpful votes
“Hike with Oahu Nature Tours wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

My teen boys, husband and I booked from Sydney Australia to go on the Diamond Head Crater Adventure tour/hike with Oahu Nature tours. They were fantastic. We chose the later of the two times to give us time for breakfast and found it a perfect time. It was a great half a day, with the tour taking only 2.5 hours. Perfect pickup from near our hotel and short drive, a GREAT tour by guide David, who knew everything there is to know. It was great to know what we were looking at, and all the interesting facts about geology and volcanoes etc. }
The hike itself was not as bad as some people seem to make out...unless you are extremely unfit. I am 50 and I only puffed a little at the very top last few stairs....but saw some dummies wearing flip flops or heels and other inappropriate clothing. It was all worth it, the view was spectacular and I loved all the extras we found out about by having gone with this tour. I felt we all got much more out of the hike this way.
David was a fabulous, patient and knowledgeable guide. He's an asset to that company.
Diamond Head is iconic and immediatley recogniseable, it was wonderful to later look at it from Waikiki and know we'd been to the top. I can fully recommend the hike, and particularly with Oahu nature tours for a small ($29pp?) fee. Loved it. So did my kids.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank jenny2222
Chicago, Illinois
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A great workout with a great view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Well worth the hike up. I like being active on my trips, so this was a great workout with a great view as the end reward.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank ivegotnews
Brisbane, Australia
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“a climb to wonder at the beauty of Ohau”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I took a taxi to the main entrance (US$14.00 from Aston Waikiki Beach hotel), climbed the track (2 litres of water is a must) in 35 minutes and spent 45 minutes just soaking up the views. I cheated, I took the long way round and came back the short (but steep) way.

This is a climb that should be done each visit to Hawaii.

Visited October 2012