“Hike with Oahu Nature Tours wonderful!”

Diamond Head State Monument
Ranked #3 of 332 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A dormant volcano crater.
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My teen boys, husband and I booked from Sydney Australia to go on the Diamond Head Crater Adventure tour/hike with Oahu Nature tours. They were fantastic. We chose the later of the two times to give us time for breakfast and found it a perfect time. It was a great half a day, with the tour taking only 2.5 hours. Perfect pickup from near our hotel and short drive, a GREAT tour by guide David, who knew everything there is to know. It was great to know what we were looking at, and all the interesting facts about geology and volcanoes etc. }
The hike itself was not as bad as some people seem to make out...unless you are extremely unfit. I am 50 and I only puffed a little at the very top last few stairs....but saw some dummies wearing flip flops or heels and other inappropriate clothing. It was all worth it, the view was spectacular and I loved all the extras we found out about by having gone with this tour. I felt we all got much more out of the hike this way.
David was a fabulous, patient and knowledgeable guide. He's an asset to that company.
Diamond Head is iconic and immediatley recogniseable, it was wonderful to later look at it from Waikiki and know we'd been to the top. I can fully recommend the hike, and particularly with Oahu nature tours for a small ($29pp?) fee. Loved it. So did my kids.

2  Thank jenny2222
Write a ReviewReviews (18,390)

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Well worth the hike up. I like being active on my trips, so this was a great workout with a great view as the end reward.

1  Thank ivegotnews
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I took a taxi to the main entrance (US$14.00 from Aston Waikiki Beach hotel), climbed the track (2 litres of water is a must) in 35 minutes and spent 45 minutes just soaking up the views. I cheated, I took the long way round and came back the short (but steep) way.

This is a climb that should be done each visit to Hawaii.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Diamond Head Crater is one of the major landmarks on Oahu, and if you are nearby you should definitely spend a couple of hours to do this hike. The views from the top of the crater are AMAZING, and my son and I really enjoyed climbing through the tunnel and the old military bunker.

We wore hiking boots and shoes, but there were PLENTY of Japanese tourists hiking in flip flops. The trail is mostly paved, though there are a few places where the concrete is a little rocky. If you are a somewhat active person then you'll find this hike isn't that strenuous. However, if you are not in good physical condition, take your time and bring plenty of water.

When you get near the top of the crater there is a fork in the road. If you want to go through the military bunker then take the right fork and climb up the stairs (it looks like a lot of stairs!). On the way down take the paved trail.

The day we visited there was a food truck selling water, shaved ice, and snacks. We didn't try any of it but it is there if you need it.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Caught the Aloha Hop On Hop Off Bus, we were lucky that we had one of the guys that work for the tour group up on top deck and was explaining the area and sights to us.

Been to Diamond Head State Monument? Share your experiences!