“Not as difficult a hike as some say it is”

Diamond Head State Monument
Ranked #3 of 324 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A dormant volcano crater.
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Not as difficult a hike as some say it is”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Diamond Head Crater is one of the major landmarks on Oahu, and if you are nearby you should definitely spend a couple of hours to do this hike. The views from the top of the crater are AMAZING, and my son and I really enjoyed climbing through the tunnel and the old military bunker.

We wore hiking boots and shoes, but there were PLENTY of Japanese tourists hiking in flip flops. The trail is mostly paved, though there are a few places where the concrete is a little rocky. If you are a somewhat active person then you'll find this hike isn't that strenuous. However, if you are not in good physical condition, take your time and bring plenty of water.

When you get near the top of the crater there is a fork in the road. If you want to go through the military bunker then take the right fork and climb up the stairs (it looks like a lot of stairs!). On the way down take the paved trail.

The day we visited there was a food truck selling water, shaved ice, and snacks. We didn't try any of it but it is there if you need it.

Visited October 2012

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Did by bus”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Caught the Aloha Hop On Hop Off Bus, we were lucky that we had one of the guys that work for the tour group up on top deck and was explaining the area and sights to us.

Sacramento, CA
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not as easy as it sounds”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

From the Frommers book, it sounded like it's an easy hike. Although it's relatively short (1.5 miles roundtrip), don't let the distance fool you. It gets really steep, especially with the almost 200 steps you have to take to get to the very top. I climbed this with my daughter strapped on the Ergo so it made it even more challenging but I made it! You do get spectacular views though when you get on top. One important tip I highly suggest is to wear the proper shoes. I was really amazed at the number of people wearing sandals and flip flips on this hike. I'm surprised they didn't slip while going on top. Also, it's probably best to go as early as you can because the parking lot gets full and it gets hot later on. Other than that, this is a highly recommended hike to go on.

Port Orange, FL
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Top of the World”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The walk to the top may only be 8/10 of a mile, but those 671 vertical feet are exhausting. The views along the way and at the top are worth the effort. The main drawback to the area is the lack of a visitors center. I really would have like to purchase items at the site.

Visited July 2012
Fillmore, Illinois
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“I wish I had more money”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

If you're looking for a fast paced, party atmosphere this would be the place to visit. My only complaint is that I didn't have more money to spend in all of the expensive stores. :)