“Staff Management Issues”

32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 223 helpful votes
“Staff Management Issues”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Right in Waikiki Beach across from the Hyatt resort so location is convenient if staying in the resort area. Instructors seemed like they were all locals so you get a little bit of the local surfer culture. Great experience, but the staff left a lot to be desired:

1) Noticed some of the staff got into an argument with the dispatcher about who got to work more and who got to work less. I can understand employee management feedback, but it's very unprofessional to be dropping f-bombs and arguing in front of all the staff.

2) The complaints and f-bombs continued while the instructors were out in the water -- so a big distraction.

3) They provided skin-guard tops but they look like they haven't been washed in a week and were stinky. Who wants to put on a shirt that someone had just pulled off 10 minutes before?

4) Photos were a little pricey. $20 for one short or $60 for the whole roll. But those were optional.

5) Did the hard sell to get "private group lessons" for $55/person. Given that you have to paddle back after each wave, it didn't seem like going for the $40/person group lessons made too much difference in terms of # of turns on the waves. I would definitely go for the $40 lessons next time as the actual talking was not too much so whether it's 2, 3 or 4 people in the group, not much difference.

6) Waikiki Beach was too crowded. Had to get off before the wave was done to avoid hitting people. Next time, I would go to somewhere less crowded like Sans Souchi Beach a 10 minute walk away.

On the other hand, there were some pluses:

1) We got what we paid for. About an hour of instruction and we were up on the waves in no time. We did actually get a chance to surf!!

2) The gal in charge of the photo was very patient with kids and adults scrolling through and picking their one photo to purchase.

3) Prices were reasonable and wait was very quick -- no more than 5-10 minutes.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank ALTippet

Mackenzie, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not impressed by staff”
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

We were a group of 5 adults. We wanted to experience an outrigger and all being experienced paddlers, we expected to be able to paddle. The two employees wanted to squeeze us in with 2 others, and wanted the 'ladies' to sit backwards on the seats and go along for the ride. We insisted that we all wanted to and were capable of paddling and so they took the couple out before us. When it was our turn they told us to get in and they put the two biggest people at the front. The canoe was not balanced and on our first wave coming in we ran over a surfer because the employee steering at the back couldn't manoeuvre the canoe quickly enough because it wasn't balanced. Or at least that is what we were told. Maybe this happens all the time? In any case, it was exciting for us but I expect even more so for the surfer who fortunately wasn't hurt. We had fun on the ride though the surf wasn't big that day. What bothered us was the arrogant attitude of the employees. It was like they were doing us a favor. The one who sat near the front was not interested in answering any questions about the canoe or beach and really was just basically unfriendly and rude. We could easily have spent our money at one of the other outrigger canoe rentals...they were all the same price. Now, because of this experience we won't go back there, our friends won't and probably others who we talk to won't as well. I am sure not all the employees at Star Beach Boys are like this, however this is tourism and customer service is important.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Wayupnorth55
Brisbane
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Awesome experience, surfing in Waikiki!”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Walking along the beach at Waikiki, there are quite a few people offering surfing lessons, we chose the Star Beach boys as they seemed easy to talk to and encouraging to my two children aged 14 and 19. We booked for the following day and Mike took them off to begin their lesson.

1 hour for $55 each was very reasonable and before long they were both out in the water catching waves. It was such a great site and Mike was tremendous to them both offering his tips to them and helping them achieve the goal of riding waves at Waikiki.

Afterwards we were offered photos of their surfing and purchased the CD for $40. Great value considering it is a once only opportunity.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Peter F
Dallas, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Ricky was great!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I went with the Boys despite some bad reviews because they were the cheapest I could find. The guy that took the money was kind of all about making a sale and taking your money (which is honestly fine - somebody has to make the company money!). He was just kind of gruff about it which is part of why I gave them a 4.
The rest of the staff we encountered was very nice. My instructor was Ricky. He seemed kind of goofy at first, but he was super nice and helpful. He was ready to go! I paid for a group lesson but got a private because nobody else showed up (and that was fine with Ricky - the other guy, not so much). He told me exactly what I needed to do, and I had a fantastic time surfing (my first time!).
The other part of why I gave them a 4 was because the pictures were not so great. They were asking for $20 for just one picture which was outrageous in itself. I went ahead and looked at the pictures, and they weren't much better than the ones my husband was taking from the beach. So we declined on that. It would have been nice to have an awesome close up of my surfing, but oh well, another time!

Visited January 2014
Brisbane, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“simple well priced”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

simple hotel ,room number . money .
here"s your surfboard , had a great day .
thanks for being there