“Good instructors, terrible service”
Review of Star-Beach-Boys

Star-Beach-Boys
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Competitive price, good teachers and everyone in our group surfed (plenty of waves too) but terrible customer service. Complaining about group members to other students in the group and friends in the waves. The customer service was bad to everyone. People returning hired gear were ignored. The only reason this isn't a 2 star rating is that they did what we paid them too - teach us to surf.

1  Thank TeamTas10

Reviewed August 24, 2012

All good will put brolly where you want it great service all very pleasent what I see and heard we went bactatlest 5 visits

1  Thank Plumbng
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Rented a stand up paddle board from Star-beach-boys for a total of 4 hours. They provided quick hint type instruction and sent me on my way. Reasonable pricing ($20 for the first hour, $10 for each additional) although I didn't inquire about full day pricing. Actually learned enough to ride in on a few waves. Quality rentals that weren't all beat up and held together with duct-tape like some of the other rental tents on the beach. Staff is friendly. Tony is a laid back guy with a great attitude. I would seek them out on my next trip for sure. They will store your gear while you are out on the waves and there is a public restroom just a few feet away.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I moved here this summer. Despite very mixed reviews on this site, I took the chance today on Star Beach Boys. I couldn't be HAPPIER! I paid for the middle-priced Semi-Private Lesson ($55) to shorten my wait, and to have a small class. The lady I paid asked a few minutes later if I minded switching to a Group Lesson due to instructor shortage. I didn't mind; she refunded $15 of my dollars and my class was just 3 of us. Instructor Jason was so thorough and gave such easy, step-by-step lessons on land, that I was confident paddling out. He was patient and professional through-out, helping us each maximize the number of waves we caught. We all got up, which I think speaks for itself! So for $40, and a chance for me to complete this Bucket List item, I rank this in the top ten best days of my life!!

1  Thank juli c
Reviewed July 24, 2012

OKU turned our already great trip into an extraordinary vacation. My 10 and 11 year old daughters wanted to take a surfing lesson. Neither had ever been on a surf board. We were advised to show up early in the morning to avoid the crowds, which we did. OKU (he introduced himself as "Smokey") actually approached us first, as we were placing our blankets down, asking if we wanted a lesson. So for no other reason, he was my daughters' instructor. I had zero expectations, however, I was immediately impressed with OKU's patience as he taught my girls the basics, and taking the time to make sure they understood his instructions, and not moving on until they were ready. While leading them out in the water, he continued his instructions. When my 11 year old, on her first attempt, successfully surfed, I was stunned. And then my 10 year old, also surfed on her first try. They caught another 10, or so, waves each. This lesson was the highlight of our trip. I was pleased to see another positive review for OKU, so I know our experience with him wasn't unique.

2  Thank duster22