“Had a good time”
Review of Hale Koa Luau

Hale Koa Luau
Reviewed August 15, 2014

My family enjoyed the activities and show. Dinner was okay and filling. I personally thought most of the show was a bit cheesy especially the emcee. Dancers were awesome and athletic. I would return with family again if we come back.

1  Thank Grove812
"buffet line"
in 7 reviews
"military families"

Reviewed August 13, 2014

I was there Did not enjoy the Food (near uneatable) and surely did not enjoy some of the program. (have not been so insulted since I got back from Combat). The best part of the show was the 8 year old fire dancer. Being in a mobility scooter I was seated right at the back and could not see what was going on and spent most of the time trying to get a drink (finally gave up). They gave only one drink(so weak this non drinker did not even get a buzz) then when I did not want to pay for another alcoholic drink no more server. The water was real nice but so busy trying to wait on so many at one time. For those of you that missed it and went to one at another place you got a better deal..
Tried to complain, they had my money and did not care.

3  Thank Don T
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I booked this for the family of 4 that included a 23 year old daughter and 16 year old son. It takes a lot for them to be impressed and engaged. They, along with my wife and myself, thought it was an excellent show. The price is a good deal compared to others I researched, and is an excellent value.

It starts with arrival around 5:30. They do give you a free drink to start with, which was refreshing. When you enter, they have some "stations" around a beautifully landscaped lawn area. One station has lei making (mainly 5-12 year old girls engaged), another with some leaf-weaved head gear, and such. There is also a group at the far end playing Hawaiian music - very pretty. We ended up just kind of walking through the crowd, browsing different stations, and then sitting on the lawn listening to the music. They have a short show and talk about how the different clothes are worn from different Polynesian cultures, and then have a little hula demonstration. It's nothing fancy, but a nice and short informative program. The Hawaiian tree climber was last - do not miss him.

About 6:00-6:15, they move you to a ceremony and talk about how the pig is roasted and then remove the roasted pig from the pit. Then they move you to the tables.

Not fancy tables - just plastic seats at tables of 8. They had some local foods to eat prior to the formal meal - salmon rubbed in tomatoes, seaweed, and fresh pineapple. The seaweed was actually better than we thought it would be, and the salmon/tomato was OK - I am more open to that than the rest of the family.

They serve a decent meal with several meats - pulled pork, steamed fish, thinly shaved beef, and a few Hawaiian veggies. The meal was OK - not great quality, but a nice variety of local foods. Don't expect a fantastic dinner - most of the money goes to pay for the entertainment. Oh, and only coffee and ice water are free. If you want iced tea or a soft drink, or any type of beer, wine, or mixed drinks that they service, you'll have to pay for that.

The entertainment portion was superb. Glenn Medeiros ("Nothing's gonna change my love for you" from the 1980's) is the emcee. They do a number of dance numbers explaining the different Polyneisian backgrounds and how they are each unique. There is a 15 year old boy that twirls a fire baton - he is phenomenal. Get the video camera ready because, while it is incredible in person, it's hard to share with others all they he could do. The video spoke volumes.

The end is a great tribute to those who served in the armed forces. I knew it was coming from previous reviews but it really was a nice close.

At the end, both my kids and wife said it was a phenomenal experience and they actually wanted to go back again during our trip. I had made our reservation for the 3rd day we were in Hawaii. We took a day or two to just relax and not have any commitments, get adjusted to the time, and deprogram. This kind of kicked off our real trip, and it was absolutely perfect.

Overall, a super experience and one we would go back to in a heartbeat. I would highly recommend for anyone, even those with younger children, teens, or college-aged kids.

4  Thank Shir101
Reviewed August 1, 2014

This was a great choice for our family of six with a small child and teens. Everyone enjoyed the evening. The dancers were energetic and talented. Dinner offered a few new dishes we wouldn't have tried otherwise along with plenty of things the kids were fighting over. Definitely a great value and something we would love to do again.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Used to be one of the best in Oahu. Now everything is "consolidated" from the beginning activities, although they are more than proud to show off the roasted pig to nauseum. Food was average, although one in our party didn't get to eat because her silverware was solidified together with food. Both forks solidly and the spoon had large chunks of something hard like of oatmeal or such we could never get the attention of waitperson until the end when she went to clear and the food was stone cold and hard. We were suppose to have the cost of one person's meal credited, but haven;t seen that yet. Now on to the show, don't leave to go to the restroom or you will miss it. It is that short now. It is the same show, only significantly shorter and smaller cast, as it has been for years. Nothing new, nothing particularly spectacular and actually rather sloppy and seemingly thrown together. Very disappointed especially from what it once was. This is a venue for those who qualify for it (self-supporting-MWR) and is less expensive, but clearly you get what you pay for and we won't take folks because we want to support our facilities with this type of product. Sad to say.

1  Thank Dreamin80