Pearl Harbor / WW II Valor in the Pacific National Monument
Ranked #2 of 339 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A 184-foot memorial honoring the 2,388 Americans who died during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We actually spent 2 half days in Pearl Harbor. One was at the Arizona memorial and the Bowfish and the museum, then the next time was at the Missouri. Tours are a must to learn all you can about the start of World War II. We were fortunate to see the USS Stennis in port while we were there and a world war II vet took the tour of the Missouri with us. Reservations for the Arizona will save you a lot of time.

Write a ReviewReviews (10,981)
All reviews
in 593 reviews
"war"
in 566 reviews

Reviewed April 27, 2013

After missing out on getting to Pearl Harbour on our last visit, I was very keen to see it this time. I had heard there were often big waits for the Arizona Memorial so I booked online through a government reservation website. There is no cost, but it does mean you have a time and date booked in.

I was told I needed to arrive an hour before my tour to pick up my tickets. I got there an hour and a half before and quickly paid $22 to access the Missouri and rushed over on the shuttle to have a quick look. The shuttle only goes every 15 mins, so I definitely recommend allowing more time, but as I had to head straight off I was willing to take my chance. I started on the tour with a guide but it was moving to slow so I raced around myself. If I had more time I would have preferred to stick with the guide as I really only saw quick glimpses of a few things.

I got back just in time for my Arizona tour. First we were shown an informative and touching movie and then ushered on to the boat to take us over. I recommend sitting on the right side (closest to the pier) towards the front for the trip out, and the back for the return trip.

Once over there you are asked to not take photos until everyone is inside and to remain silent. I didnt do an audio tour so I just soaked up the atmosphere and took some photos. You only get about 15 minutes and it goes quickly.

I didnt visit the Bowfin so can't comment on that, but definitely recommend allowing a half day all up to see everything.

I caught the bus from Waikiki which took about an hour and cost $2.50. Also note you can't take any size bag in, so either don't take anything, or pay $3 to put it in storage.

1  Thank D K
Reviewed April 26, 2013

If you go to Hawaii, this is the place you must visit. 7th December 1941 will forever be recorded as one of the darkest days in American history. The memorial to the fallen soldiers on USS Arizona is the most haunting out of all of them. Even to this day, not all of the bodies have been recovered and it is said that the oil spill are the tear-drops of the fallen soldiers.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

what a great thing to do so that all who lost their lives could be remembered and those who appreciate them could pay their respects

See more reviews
Reviewed April 25, 2013

When planning my trip to Hawaii I went through a list of historical and non historical sites I wanted to tackle and Pearl harbour was at the bottom of that list, BUT I AM SO GLAD THAT WE DECIDED TO VISIT. Pearl Harbor is a stunning bay and is still home to military personnel. The overall tone is very sad and that’s even before actually reaching the memorial site for the U.S.S Arizona. The museum on the property chronicles the start and end of World War II and how the USA came to be involved. If you have time catch a movie of the incident in the museum which has actual footage from that faithful day in December 1941. The video runs every couple of minutes and is worth the short wait especially if you are looking to cool off from the Hawaiian sun. When you are queued to visit the USS Arizona memorial you will see another film which is equally as informative but a little longer than the first, once again a great documentation of the event. Be prepared because no matter how tough you may think you are this tour will break your heart and make you tear up. The site of the U.S.S Arizona is a great tribute to those 1,177 sailors fallen in battle. Talking is not allowed on the structure which also adds to the ominous tone of the grounds. If you look closely in the water there is still oil seeping from the vessel (TIDBIT: Google “Pearl Harbor face in the water”) .Overall this is a must see while in Hawaii if not for the history but to pay your respects to all lives lost back on that day in 1941.

Travelers who viewed Pearl Harbor / WW II Valor in the Pacific National Monument also viewed

Been to Pearl Harbor / WW II Valor in the Pacific National Monument? Share your experiences!