“Arrive early”

Honolulu Double Decker Sightseeing Tour Including Pearl Harbor
Ranked #1 of 328 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A 184-foot memorial honoring the 2,388 Americans who died during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
Australia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Arrive early”
Reviewed May 22, 2009

We arrive fifteen minutes after opening and had a one hour wait for our scheduled time. We used this time to browse the small museum and view the memorial from the shoreline. The museum is dated with many artifacts removed for conservation but a new museum is being built next door. Parking and entrance was free. Poignant experience for my son and self. A must see.

3 Thank travelbuggyAustralia

Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Disappointed & Rushed”
Reviewed May 10, 2009

This was one of the things I was most looking forward to on my visit to HNL but left badly disappointed, primarily due to the poor behavior of the Park Service 'Ranger', who apparently takes that title literally, & the 3 Navy boys w/our group who ran the shuttle out to the Memorial itself.

First off, be prepared for all the construction & generally poor condition of the visitors center (I know, the poor condition is what is requiring the construction). As others have said, parking & tickets are free; not sure what the other companies are charging for other than transportation.

The movie you see before going out to the Memorial is very good & I enjoyed it very much. It was once we got on the boat that things went downhill. As we arrived at the dock for the Memorial, a Japanese man started to stand up. The 'Ranger' immediately rushed over, got right up in his face telling him to sit down, culminating in a threat to 'knock your head off'. The problem, other than the obvious? The man didn't speak English. What was even more surprising was the behavior of the 3 uniformed Navy sailors responsible for running the shuttle out & back-they made continous snarky comments to each other about the passengers on the way out. After all the lectures about respectful behavior while on the Memorial, this is the example they are setting? One of our party found a Park Service manager as we were leaving & reported what had happened. The manager said the 'Ranger' would be re-trained 'again', which is equally disturbing as this is clearly normal behavior for this man.

Be warned, too, you have very VERY little time on the Memorial itself-I never made it into the Hall of Rememberance, which is at the opposite end of the Memorial from the dock, before the 'Ranger' was ordering everyone back on board for the return trip.

Finally, many of the exhibits & artifacts are missing from the museum, having been replaced w/pictures due to the construction & 'conservation'. Thankfully the diorama of the Arizona itself still remains which allows for a much better sense of what the Memorial is vs. what you are allowed to experience in person.

All in all, though I'm glad I went, I'm disappointed w/the entire experience & doubt I would bother w/it again.

8 Thank txrus
England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Unforgetable experience which will live with me forever”
Reviewed May 1, 2009

This was our first visit to Hawaii/Oahu.
We didn't realise the full extent of the Japanese attack until we visited the Arizona Memorial. I could not get it out of my head for 3 weeks after returning home to Scotland. It has that sort of effect, certainly on me. The theater documentary before your visit to the memorial/wreck site, tells the full story & the Japanese thinking of why they should attampt to devastate the US Fleet at anchor.
It is hard to believe the devastation suffered on that day in Decmber 1941 - until you watch the theatre presentation. We were fortunate to have some books we bought in the memorial shop , signed by 3 of the survivors of the attack. Thses guys are usually presentuntil around 12.00. They are getting old, but it really something to talk to people who witnessed the attack first hand.
The Battleship 'Missouri' is moored a few hundred metres for the bow of the 'Arizona' - as it was described to us, the 'Missouri' keeps watch on the sister ship 'Arizona. Very poingniant
We will probably never return to Oahu, but a truly unforgetable experience- one which I/we will never forget.
I tried to purchase a copy of the theatre productionat the memorial - but it was not possible. I still think of it often - it is 'haunting', if that is the correct term.
If you are going to Oahu - do not miss this opportunity to visit 'Arizona' & pay your respects. It is well worth the time to experience it - something you will see/feel, probably nowhere else in the world.

2 Thank Jackbronson
California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Pearl Harbor Trip”
Reviewed April 16, 2009

This is a good excursion.
If you have a car, drive there yourself early.
Parking is free and the admission is free as well.
If you want audio narration, it's only $5.00.
Don't waste your money on tour companies for transporation and guidance if you have a car rental.

3 Thank tripgenious
Wisconsin
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“A must see if on Oahu”
Reviewed April 15, 2009

Get here early! There is so much to see and do! Do not bring a purse, backpack or camera case. They don't let you bring it past the Visitor Center. We took the number 42 bus from Waikiki and it took a little over an hour. We arrived at 7:30 am and beat most of the tour buses. Then you get a "tour time" card, so you know when to meet to enter the short movie, then go to the memorial. We got a 9:00am tour time. If you have about an hour before your time, like we did, I recommend getting the earphones and visit the stations around the visitors center for excellent narration by Ernest Borgnine in telling the story of the attack. If you get there later and have two hours or more, you have time to walk over and tour the USS Bowfin. The USS Arizona experience is emotional and wonderful. It is a MUST SEE attraction! Then there are great Hotdogs next door! After the tour, get on the shuttle bus to Ford Island and see the USS Missouri and the Pacific Aviation Museum. Each take about an hour to tour. All worth while! If you have a "Go Oahu" card, all of this is free. We were finished at about 5:00 with all the tours and eating lunch, then an hour or so bus ride back to Waikiki. Have fun!

5 Thank Hawk42Wisconsin

Been to USS Arizona Memorial? Share your experiences!