“Very interesting”

USS Arizona Memorial Narrated Tour
Ranked #1 of 339 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A 184-foot memorial honoring the 2,388 Americans who died during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
Reviewed June 18, 2014

This was very interesting to learn about what happened many years ago,and to see it was surreal. This tour is worth doing we done the uss Missouri memorial the same day, and visited the plane museum. All great things to do,very close to one another.
Great dat out.

Write a ReviewReviews (22,769)
All reviews
in 1,104 reviews
"attack"
in 1,241 reviews

Reviewed June 18, 2014

I am ex Royal Navy so very empathetic towards the US Forces. I personally felt the brave men who were killed on this ship were being exploited for money.
I suppose it's because the Royal Navy Vessels sunk in combat during conflict are mostly inaccessible and are deemed as War Graves.
It's a personal view but still felt it was humbling and thought long and hard about my fellow Sailors below me.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

According to our hotel concierge, after the government shutdown last October the US Navy gives (almost) all of the tickets to the tour operators. So, in order to tour the USS AZ, one has to get with a tour...and get on it early. My wife and I visited 16 years ago and just walked up and got in. This time, we happened to speak with another tourist who told us he got his tickets (booked his tour) 60 days in advance. Fortunately, our concierge found us a tour to get on so we could see it. He advised that unless we had a month to try to walk up and get tickets, he suggests getting on with a tour operator.

Getting on with a tour is not much fun, either. We wanted bus to memorial and back to hotel. That wasn't an option. It was on the bus at 6:45 AM, ride around Honolulu until 9:00 AM. Drop-off at USS AZ memorial...compulsory movie at 10:00 AM (which wasn't bad, but we could only see it then), ride out to memorial, 15 minutes to visit memorial, back on bus by 11:30, back to hotel at 12:00-noon. It's that 30 minutes back thing...I would have preferred a 30-minute ride out...stay for 2-3 hours and ride back in 30 minutes. Instead, half of my day went to just one exhibit...and to stay and see the USS MO or the sub or any of the other attractions is both more $$$ and more time. I might've seen more attractions like the Mighty Mo had I not spent 2+ hours trapped on a bus.

However, I'm not running down the USS AZ Memorial AT ALL, just the process. It seems broken and they've only been at it for a few months, so maybe it'll get better with more options.

The memorial itself is certainly worth the $$$ and the time to see it, I just wish I could have used my time the way I wanted.

Being on a tour bus does "help" with entering the grounds because our tour (Roberts Hawaii) prepared the group for what to expect and what not to try and bring into the restricted area. So, with that "help" we were able to walk right in and get on with things.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Very Informative, learned so much about Dec. 7th, 1941. Such a Sad Day in History! We didn't need to spend the $15 on headsets though

See more reviews
Reviewed June 18, 2014

The exhibition, the pre-visit movie and the memorial itself were both enlightening and moving. I believe that the movie was possibly the best example of an introductory film I have ever seen. Well done to those involved. We visited on Memorial day and were worried that it would be very busy. In fact it was Ok and the day made the visit even more poignant. Did not have time to visit the other areas of the monument, so would definitely come back if we get the chance.

Been to USS Arizona Memorial? Share your experiences!