“Firecracker Express, First Class a MUST!”

Verde Canyon Railroad
Book In Advance
More Info
$98.29*
and up
Verde Canyon Railroad Adventure
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Verde Canyon Railroad is a Southwestern adventure that takes passengers on a ride through Arizona’s backcountry, only accessible from the comfort of this train. This legendary “boutique” attraction allows members of groups an uncommon view of a wildly-wonderful red-rock canyon. The four-hour excursion requires no laborious effort or exertion except by the highly-trained staff who absolutely love what they do. As evidenced by exceedingly positive reviews, they do it very well. Verde Canyon Railroad is the only excursion train in the Southwest which offers every guest two seats for the price of one: inside viewing through large panoramic windows in all coaches and 360-degree views from open-air viewing cars attached to each coach. As the train passes “through” a grand canyon, both vantages celebrate incomparable scenery, high-desert flora and fauna, historic trestles, dramatic geology, unusual rock formations and passage through a century-old 680-foot tunnel. Throughout the journey the captivating history of the Verde Canyon and the Railroad unfolds with narration interlaced with a wide genre of popular railroad tunes.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Peoria, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Firecracker Express, First Class a MUST!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I just went on the 4th of July, 2013. First, after reading review after review on this I was looking forward to this trip. I want to say the reviews on here are spot on. I thought the bbq was going to be included but once we arrived, it was $8.50. Kinda disappointed with that but then I completely forgot about that once we got on the train and saw the buffet! As everyone else recommended to take 1st class we did as well. There was chicken wings, small subs, cheese, crackers, veggies, and small awesome brownies! Not to mention the chips on the table when we got seated. I'm a big guy with a big appetite and I was not disappointed with the buffet. Now, the only thing I would say is that on the way back the excitement wore off, so bring a book to relax, mp3, ipad or something. I took all my pictures on the way up and that was enough. Took a small nap and listened to my mp3 player on the way back, my wife read her book on the way back as well. I'm a native of Arizona and used to the heat but it is still rather warm in July, this would be a great trip in the spring or fall. Even the winter because I don't think it snows in that area. Bottom line: Great trip, good food, 1st class worth it, and bring something to do on the way back.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank JMaestro

Henderson, Nevada
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Relaxing but”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Verde Canton Railroad was a 4 hour relaxing ride through the hills. There are three choices of accommodations depending on how much you want to spend and what your traveling wants are. In the First Class and Caboose, food and drinks are served. Alcoholic beverages are also available. The sandwiches and vegy plate was quite nice.

The scenery of course is quite beautiful. However, we were disappointed that we saw no wildlife. Perhaps it was the time of year and heat. One problem we did encounter was the somewhat poor sound system. It was hard to hear the narrative which could have been quite interesting. However, the music was loud and no problems hearing it.

1 Thank BrooklynDodgers13
Cinnaminson, New Jersey
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Highlight of Trip!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We all thoroughly enjoyed our ride on the Verde Canyon Railroad. We opted to upgrade to first class and we were very glad we did. We loved the option of being outside or inside on the ride. Other travelers were lots of fun and the staff on the ride was great. The food provided was tasty and the drinks very reasonable.

Woodstock, Georgia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Got to be a big train enthusiast for this one”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

First of all, it was a very hot day which I imagine is often the case in Arizona, so beware. "Climate Controlled" doesn't exactly mean "Air Conditioned" and our first class car was barely "controlled". If it weren't for the outdoor gondolas, I would've jumped off the train in desperation! It was hot out there, but they have sun shade and at least it wasn't hot and stuffy.

This is not the most exciting train ride, unless you're a train enthusiast, I'd skip it. Views are ok, but it worth spending a whole day on them. The recorded commentary is pretty useless and the music..any stupid song that had the word "train" in it was intolerable. Luckily, the attendant showed us where to turn it off on the gondola and we were spared!

First class food was fine, great wings but otherwise nothing really exciting. Attendants were very nice.

Ladies, if your husband is a big train guy let him go by himself and spend you money shopping in cute Jerome instead!

1 Thank ASwend
Paso Robles, California
“Best Day On Our Trip”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I spent a lot of time planning my trip to Arizona and was planning on staying in Jerome and found this as a package deal staying at the Connor Hotel and wow was it worth it. We travelled as two couples and were delighted by the couch sitting areas in the Vip section of the train when we boarded and were quickly greeting with champagne for a toast. Travelling with us in our train car were two fabulous hosts who could answer any and all questions about the plants, animals, rock formations, and even history of the area but also make a tasty margarita. Food was also put out during the trip and we were treated with yummy salads, chicken wings, and desserts. The day was cold and snowing but we even braved the snow and enjoyed the scenic views from the outside car but the giant windows in the heated inside car was plenty big enough to enjoy the views. Yes the train is slow but I would have prefered slower the views and enjoyment could have lasted all day. I cannot say enough good things about this train ride from start to finish and the hosts were just fabulous this train ride will be remembered as the best part of our entire trip.

Visited February 2013