“It could have been a lot better”
Review of Nate's Cowboy Cafe - CLOSED

Nate's Cowboy Cafe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My wife and I have not eaten at Nate's since their move to Clarkdale. We went there on Tuesday, December 4th. We both ordered the Ribeye. My wife had the salad bar and soup and I just had salad. She had eggs on her salad and they tasted really bad. Her soup, clam chowder was burnt or over cooked. Then our steaks. She ordered medium well and I ordered medium. The steaks came out quickly and were undercooked. They were both medium rare at best and most likely rare. My wife sent hers back. It was better but still not right. Their excuse was that the chef did not have the thermometer 'calibrated.' I have used a digital thermometer for years and I have never calibrated it. The temperature for medium well steak is 150. This is at least 20 degrees more than a medium rare steak! But it gets even worse. My steak was chewy and a lot of gristle not a choice steak by any means! I could have gone to the Safeway fives down the road a bought a better cut of meat. Likewise with my wife's steak. Now granted this is not the Toulouse Petit of Seattle but the price at Nate's is rather high for what was offered. For about $33 I had a USDA Prime Ribeye at Toulouse Petit one of the top restaurants in the U.S. at Nate's I had a Ribeye not even choice but more like standard grade for $17. If you want a steak there are much better choices here in the Verde Valley. I have say I will give Nate's one last chance. Even the free desert wasn't as good as it looked. I would been better off cooking a store bought pie at home. I will let you know how the do on their "second chance."

2  Thank RnCinAZ
NatesCowboyCafe, Owner at Nate's Cowboy Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. Good or bad we want to know so that we can make sure we fix any issues that would hinder a guest from completely enjoying their experience. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction. We work hard on finding the best quality ingredients including our beef and try to keep our prices a few dollars less than anyone in the valley. I greatly appreciate that you are willing to give us one more shot. We try to keep our off days to a minimum, but we do have them from time to time. Please give me a call at some point before you come in, as I would like to make this right.

Thanks again for your time and patronage,
Nate

There are newer reviews for Nate's Cowboy Cafe

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We had a bit of a hard time getting to the restaurant. GPS irected us to what is probably their old location. When we found it, it was well worth it. First of all the food was very very good. The portions were large. We couldn't finish it all and had to take the rest back with us.The service was excellent. Our waiter Shane went over and beyond to give us our money's worth by even throwing in an extra dessert to complete our Groupon coupon value. Even waiters wo weren't assigned to us would stop by and ask us if everything was okay.. at least 4 of them did... very classy. And we loved the live musician too!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had stopped at Nate's Cowboy Cafe 18 months ago on a trip to Sedona, so we thought we would do it again. We got into Cottonwood, AZ and started following the directions to Nate's, but it didn't seem right. So we turned around and headed back to where I thought it was located. Not there. So we called. We had been 100 yards short of the restaurant on our first try. Turns out they built a whole new place in a different location during the past 18 months! Much bigger, nicer, same wooden booths from the old place, same great food and service. What a relief! Chicken BBQ platter, BBQ beans, coleslaw, even ordered a dessert (we rarely do). Food is just plain good and we had a great time chatting with the waiter (it was late and not busy). We highly recommend Nate's!

1  Thank RandyW_in_VA
NatesCowboyCafe, Owner at Nate's Cowboy Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank ya for taking the time to leave a review, we always love hearin' about our guests experiences. We're thrilled y'all came back to see us and found us! Fer us, serving good comfort food to friendly folks is the best part of our jobs. See ya the next time yer in these parts. Nate

Reviewed November 1, 2013

My family and I enjoyed our meal. We bboth ordered the pork tenderloin sandwich. It came hot and delicious. It wasn,t pressed meat like you sometimes get. It looked like a hand breaded pork chop. It wasn't fatty or grizzly. Our daughter enjoyed her bacon cheeseburger too. Service was slow.But we came on a busy Friday night. Parking lot was full. This is not a fancy restaurant, just good food and laid back service and atmosphere. The best part of our meal was the bread pudding. It was broughtto us in a sizzeling skillet topped with ice-cream. It was enough for the 3 of us to share.We would come back for sandwiches and bread pudding.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Nate's (formerly of Cottonwood, now in Clarkdale, AZ) serves great food, reasonably priced and the service is outstanding. Nate's is a gathering place for bikers, families, couples and there is a
patio and a banquet annex. You'll find chicken gizzards here and I don't know of anywhere else
they are served. Soups are fabulous and there is a small but more than adequate salad bar.
Prime Rib Roast is available every Saturday at a great price and is accompanied by one side order, fried onions, "cowboy muffin". Next time hubby and I go to Nate's on Saturday, we'll share
the Roast dinner. $2.00 drinks and bar food every day for happy hour.