“Clean, centrally located hotel”
Review of Hotel Viking

Hotel Viking
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Clean, centrally located hotel”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We went here for a work offsite with about 70 people. It was a great, clean hotel right near all of the shops and restaurants in Newport. We only stayed one night but had a full day of conferences there. Catered food was very good. Rooms and bathrooms were a bit small but clean and very nice. I would recommend this hotel if you want to be in a comfortable place near the heart of Newport.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Eva M, Executive Administrative Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for your tribute to all of us at the Hotel Viking. Noble House Hotels and Resorts, our management company, has continued to help each of its properties focus on continuing to build a better meeting environment for our business clients as well as maintaining our attention to individual guests. We are also appreciative that your group’s experience was a positive one. Your comments reinforce that we are on the “right” road! Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Massachusetts
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My stay at the Viking was once again absolutely perfect. I got a great night's sleep on a very comfy bed. My room was both luxurious and cozy. The location is perfect. The rooms are impeccably clean as is the entire facility. This is a class establishment.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Absolutely perfect is what we like to hear, when our guests leave and describe their stay at the Hotel Viking. Thank you for sharing your comments with everyone.
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I found the staff very helpful and more than willing to help my wife and I. They made us feel very relaxed and always asked if there was anything they could do for us.It is a very well kept older building with lots of young blood to serve you. We celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary there and we will most definitely return in the near future.

Mike Toronto, Canada

Room Tip: Use the valet parking, I found it most helpful
Green Features: Not quite sure what environmental practices the Hotel has accept what I read about.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on behalf of our associates and thank you for choosing The Hotel Viking to celebrate your special event.
Westerly
Reviewed June 8, 2014

My boyfriend and I have stayed at this hotel a few times and keep coming back. Love the comfortable rooms and seasonal rooftop deck. It is a little pricey, but worth it for the accommodations and location. Close to downtown Newport and many attractions. Great spot for walking tour of this beautiful city!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
What a lovely review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay again. Thank you for coming back. We appreciate your business
Cranford, NJ
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I've watched to many episodes of Hotel Impossible on the Travel Network so my expectations have changed over the past few years. I've stayed here previously and that's what brought me back. I was in town for a 3 day seminar and wanted to stay here. The valet service, front desk staff, and all the employees at the Hotel Viking are friendly, courteous, and accommodating. They will go above and beyond for you.

The problem was my room. I noticed lots of small ants crawling on the molding under my desk. I alerted the front desk who offered to switch my room. I didn't accept and just had them spray. I didn't see any after that. On my first night, I noticed the carpet by the bathroom was dirty and hadn't been vacuumed. I also noticed this by the carpet by the desk. I didn't call down to the desk because I just figured they would vacuum in the morning. I was wrong. I also noticed on my first night that the drain in the shower must have been clogged because the water was very very slow going down.

Sadly, my room was never vacuumed my entire stay because the crumbs, threads, etc., were still there the entire stay. The water in the shower still drained very very slowly. The towels were replaced and the beds were made in a timely fashion but that was it.

I stayed on the second floor and the walls were thin enough where you can here people in the next room and people walking on the floor above you.

I also noticed the furniture in the lobby was looking very tired and worn down. I understand that it is a historic hotel but the materials on the sofas and chairs were looking very worn.

For the amount of money that guests pay at the Viking, the room should be clean and functioning. This is a beautiful hotel and the location is fantastic. Once again, the customer service is out of this world. Based upon my recent experience, I might have to think twice before coming back.

Room Tip: You can here your neighbors on the second floor as well as here the people walking above you.
1 Thank Melonie S
Eva M, Executive Administrative Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Our worst fears are when nothing seems to go right for a guest that stays at the Hotel Viking. Our hotel management team is always extremely concerned and upset when guests have a totally unpleasant experience from the time they arrive until the time they check out. And, unfortunately words cannot change how your experience reflects this. All we can say is we are sorry we could not live up to your expectations.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is a very nice hotel at a great location in Newport, a few minutes walk to the harbor, shopping and restaurants. The time we stayed there it was very busy so we had to wait for the valet for a long time (15min and more) and did not get much attention, but everyone was very nice and friendly once we were able to get their attention. The rooms are not very big but they are clean and neat. Breakfast buffet is nice, but can get busy as well. The stay at the hotel definitely feels more genuine than staying at a hotel chain, so I would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Our location is fantastic. We apologize for the wait but we are glad to read that you did receive the special attention that you and all of our guests deserve. Thank you for your compliments on behalf of our property, we are a unique hotel.
Boston
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I had my team offsite here and it was fantastic. They did an excellent job organizing. The food was excellent and service as well. Facilities for a small group are perfect. Newport is an excellent spot for a team meeting and the Viking is the place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you very much!. We hope this will be the place for your future meetings. Meeting planners have an extremely difficult job to do and we are highly sensitive to this. Our sales associates have exceptional training through our corporate program on meeting all the needs that require a first rate business function to come together smoothly and efficiently. Our hope is that all of the attendees can take full advantage of what the hotel offers after their intensive group meetings.