“Beautiful common spaces, dysfunctional bathrooms”
Review of Hotel Viking

Hotel Viking
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We had a pleasant stay at this hotel, with some highs (staff) and lows (bathrooms.) The hotel itself is historic, beautiful and beautifully maintained. The common spaces and guest rooms have high-quality and well-maintained decor. Very nice pool long enough for laps with a nice hot tub. Staff were universally friendly, with especially great service from Tyler (bellman) and Eric (front desk / concierge). These guys were the type of people you actually look forward to seeing when you get ready for your day. Eric gave us great recommendations for the Norman Bird Sanctuary which turned out to be a magical place.

Our guest room bathroom was a bit of a disaster. Really two VERY small spaces, the shower and toilet were in one tiny room - and the only place to hang your towel was right over the toilet (blech). Why more hotels don't install actual towel bars in reasonable places is beyond me. The sink and counter, although providing adequate counter and toiletry storage space, was in another tiny space that also included the closet. It had a number of problems including:
-no hooks! Most toiletry bags hang! Grr!
-sink - one of these modern, deep bowls but the faucet is designed and positioned that you don't have room for your hands under the tap without hitting the sink. 10 demerits for the interior designer.
-because the closet (which has very little rod space) is in the sink room, no one can get into the closet if someone is washing their hands or applying makeup.

Since I'm obsessed with sleep quality, I will say that the beds, mattresses, linens etc. were excellent.

Despite the bathroom issues, I would return IF I could get a good rate. We paid over $300/night during the low season when the hotel was deserted. For the first time in my life, I kicked myself for not booking through Priceline (I am usually committed to booking directly with a property.) I did not think the price was fair given the occupancy rate and the size of the room.

1  Thank Marge246
Eva M, Executive Administrative Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Hotel Viking, located at the top of Newport’s Historic Hill and a member of Historic Hotels of America, is convenient to Newport’s many attractions, including Newport Harbor and Waterfront. With the character and service of a small boutique hotel, it showcases 209 rooms and suites resonating Old World charm, yet updated with modern amenities. With the recent renovations and reconfiguration guests that have come to love the Hotel Viking will notice all new upgraded luxury suites including rooms located in the Newport wing. Choose from updated guestrooms and suites, complete with beautiful furnishings and luxurious bedding amenities. Hotel Viking features the luxurious SpaTerre; fine dining at One Bellevue; over 14,000 square feet of meeting and special occasion space; an historic chapel on property; a 24-hour business center; an indoor pool/whirlpool; and fitness center.
Built by the citizens of Newport in the 1920s to accommodate their guests and visitors, the Hotel Viking, “the people’s hotel,” will charm you with its mix of classic elegance and modern amenities, including SpaTerre. Thank you for your review and we look forward to you next visit.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Hotel Viking is a wonderful combination of old world charm and modern day convenience. The hotel is immaculate and service is eager and friendly. It's within walking distance of restaurants, shops, historic sights - as well as the mansions (though some might want to take the car for the 5 minute drive). The lobby restaurant is perfect for breakfast, and the bar is equally welcoming (I was surprised it closed at 10:00pm, but it was off-season). I highly recommend this hotel and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Your review is excellent and in reading your remarks, makes one want to check it out for themselves! We are proud of our 85 year old history and the fact that we offer 21st conveniences adds to the loveliness of the hotel. We look forward to your next visit and hopefully another wonderful review!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

I chose the Viking because I wanted to stay in a hotel that offered that old Newport charm and grace, and I was very happy I did!
From the moment the doorman opened the front door, I knew I had made the right choice. The room was charming, clean, and cozy. It was furnished with Victorian-style furnishings, and a flat screen television that somehow didn't really look out of place! The window looked out onto the pretty street, but wasn't at all noisy.
It was a small room but perfect for me, as I was traveling alone. I had a desk, a queen bed, roomy bathroom and wonderful shower that was sparkling clean. The towels and sheets were made of a high thread count which made them feel luxe. They had put some yummy snacks in the room in case I got hungry, and there was also a nice Keurig coffee maker with decaf and regular coffee. Towel and bedding service was every 3rd day, to save excess water usage, which I thought was great.
The pool was huge and the spa looked tranquil, although I did not have time to try it. I did however go in, and could see how it would be a calming place to go. I stayed there in march, so got an amazing rate. ( under $100 per night). The staff was so helpful and so very friendly. All said and done, I'll go back to the Viking next time I'm in Newport!

Room Tip: Make sure you see the room before you stay, as my single room would have been rather small for two.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We were hoping to find something in the historic district so we settled on Hotel Viking. It's in an excellent location and you can self park or they offer valet ($17 per night). The Hotel itself was wonderful, I'd stay again in a heartbeat. Rooms are small, but they were smaller then. The lobby has a key-stand with old skeleton keys for ambiance. It's somewhat old Victorian. The room was very quaint, decorated old Victorian style. Beds very comfortable. They have unique items in the gift shop, although pricey. Nice workout area, friendly staff. If visiting this area, be sure to stay here. Then take a walk along the ocean, just beautiful. They have modern showers, and include hair dryers, FYI. Very comfy beds.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Your wonderful response to your stay at the Hotel Viking is a pleasure to read! When all of the staff works in sync with our guests, from beginning to end, it cannot help but be a relaxing and stress-free visit for the guest. Most of all, our continued on-going guest service training for all of our associates, proves once again to all of us, we can continue to succeed if we keep guest service as one of our most valued and focused goals.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed in March which is a great time of year for low rates and fewer tourists. The hotel has an excellent restaurant, pool, and fitness center. A great place to rest up and dine after checking out the mansions and cliff walk! Shopping and more restaurants are within easy walking distance. Definitely recommend this as place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Off season rates can be some of the best deals of the year! Our goal is your satisfaction, and we are glad to have met your needs.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I initially was drawn to the Hotel Viking for a one night stay in March for their competitive rates with more of a "non-chain" hotel vibe. Located right off the main stretch in Newport, you are within walking distance of the mansions, as well as the entire downtown area. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, and our room was well decorated and spacious (corner room, queen size bed). You can valet or park your car in the Viking's lot (but be aware it costs the same for each). We had breakfast in the restaurant located in the lobby, which was great, albeit a bit pricier than if we were to venture out of the hotel. The hotel itself is very elegant and decorated beautifully, and I would have loved to use the pool/fitness center/spa if I had more time.

My only complaint about my experience is that our room had a weird odor the entire time, especially when the heat kicked on. You noticed it immediately when you entered the room, and became very unpleasant overnight. The heat was also very loud at night, and kept waking us up.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

What a delight to know you enjoyed your visit to Newport. We are pleased also that you enjoyed the cozy and comfortable accommodations at our hotel. Your comments are welcomed and we appreciate you letting us know about the issue during your visit. We always use constructive criticism to improve our guest service and make necessary adjustments so that whatever was a problem can be resolved. We hope you plan to visit again soon.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Hotel Viking is an elegant hotel in a great location. The rooms are very clean and the staff is very professional. Hotel restaurant has great food with very good prices. The spa package was excellent price and the service was beyond what my body needed. My body was tense before the massage and I felt like a rejuvenated person after the hour. Well worth the price and time. The hotel decor is exquisite and the staff are all dressed professionally and very pleasant. Doors are opened and you feel an immediate welcome as soon as you enter the lobby. It was a very pleasant experience. Thank you.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

The Hotel Viking is known for its historical elegance with 21st Century amenities. The fact that we are in a perfect location for anyone wanting to enjoy all Newport has to see helps us as well. We look forward to your continued visits!