“A night out”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rhode Island
“A night out”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Did not stay here, but had a lovely night out at their pub listening to a great local band - Clear Blue. Good food, good drinks, good friends and great music!! A lot of fun - HAve stayed here in the past - great hotel, old worldly charm with modern amenities. Have used spa in past - fantastic!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Eva M, Exec. Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
One Bellevue is a great spot for a night out in Newport. Our lounge area and live entertainment and wonderful menu are a fantastic chose to have fun.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We booked this hotel last minute when we decided to stay overnight in Newport on a trip home from Block Island. There was a special mid-week discounted rate advertised on their website. The reservations chap did not immediately offer it, but when I mentioned it he willingly obliged. We ended up paying $191 (plus taxes and parking) for a room with two queen beds. The room was very nice... yes, as other reviewers have stated, tiny bathroom, but didn't bother us at all (we have lived in NY & London so have lived with worse). The beds were supremely comfortable -- I mean, crazy comfortable, with gorgeous bedlinens. I made a point to ask for a quiet room, and so ours overlooked a little courtyard, the view of which was more pleasant than it sounds. Overall it was quiet, although there may have been a conference room or something above us because we did hear some heavy foot traffic above us, and we also heard a screaming baby in the morning (but it wasn't too early, and hey, that can't really be helped... we were all once screaming babies...). Check-in was easy and the folks at the desk were kind and helpful (if slightly perfunctory). Loved the location.... parking was $33 overnight which seemed steep but the valet was quick & efficient and we felt our car would be safe so...
We wandered about a mile down to Thames Street, hoping to try the restaurant TSK but alas they were fully booked. We ended up at Asterisk instead, where we had a perfectly acceptable meal in a fantastically gorgeous and unique setting. We were charmed by the Hotel Viking and by all of Newport really. We'd definitely stay here again. (I didn't give it five stars because I reserve that for truly sublime experiences!!) Oh, by the way, the indoor pool area is really lovely and the gym is tiny but well-equipped.

1 Thank ShoshR
It is great to hear that you took advantage of our midweek discount . it is always a joy when we here that our guests enjoyed their guestroom. We do receive many compliments on our beds. Many of the travelers said the beds are crazy comfortable. Thank you for writing the review and we look forward to have you back again.
Groton
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I spent our first 2 anniversaries at The Hotel Viking. Great service and beautiful rooms made our stays superb. During the most recent stay last week, we came back to our room and found 2 gourmet cupcakes awaiting us. We expect to be back next year. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013
Eva M, Exec. Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
What a joy it is for us to read such a great review. We are thrilled to hear that you have decided to return to the Hotel Viking to celebrate your second anniversary here as well. We look forward to seeing you here in Newport again next year for your anniversary celebration.
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at the Viking because I was attending a conference there. It had most of the things all of us look for in hotels -- comfortable room, pleasant public spaces, good location, friendly staff -- but on balance my experience here was neither better nor worse than at many other hotels, most with far more reasonable prices.

The hotel is a ten- or fifteen-minute walk from just about everything: the touristy waterfront area in one direction, the historic town center in a slightly different direction, and the Cliff Walk and Newport's spectacular mansions in the opposite direction. Because it's not right in the center of things there is not too much street noise.

My room was of a decent size and had acceptably authentic faux-Victorian furnishings. The lobby is small but well-appointed, with a few comfortable chairs.

There is a small exercise room with a few machines and a small indoor pool that was always too crowded to swim in. (But Newport is a great town for running and walking.)

Although all the staff members I encountered were courteous, some of them were not as efficient as they might have been. When I checked in there was only one person staffing the reception desk. He seemed to regard himself as a raconteur, spending several minutes with each guest telling them all about the hotel, about Newport, and about other things he thought they might find interesting. So it took 15 minutes to get to the front of a fairly short line, which was frustrating because my event had already begun.

My only serious complaint was about the hotel food. On the night after the conference I was in the mood for a light meal. I walked around the neighborhood for a few minutes and found nothing particularly inviting, so I decided just to have a snack and a glass of wine in the un-atmospheric but convenient lounge/restaurant just off the hotel lobby. I ordered a small pizza margherita which turned out to be not really pizza. The dough wasn't right, the tomato sauce tasted something like barbecue, the cheese was too thick and too chewy. I suspect, although I am not sure, that this was a frozen and microwaved pizza. My only other experience with the Viking's food, at a conference dinner the night before, was not as bad as the pizza but was nothing to write home about.

So the Viking is a perfectly good hotel, but not worth $300+ per night. If I return to Newport I would try the Hyatt (priced about the same as the Viking but with more and better discount rates) or one of Newport's many charming bed-and-breakfasts.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AssimilatedCajun
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Newport is a great place to host a conference and you are exactly right, the Hotel Viking is in a perfect location - close to it all. We are glad to hear that you liked your room and thank you for your comments regarding our lobby area. We are happy to hear that you felt it to be well appointed. The Summer season is the busiest in Newport and our room prices are in line with all of the other establishments. We apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced during your check in. Our management has read your comments and appreciates your feedback as it allows us to make improvements and provide better service. Thank you for your comments regarding the restaurant as well
Needham, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We hosted my daughter's first birthday with family at the Top of Newport at the hotel. Not your traditional venue for a first birthday. We couldn't have had better service - both before, during and after the party. The manager was extremely attentive and organized and all of the staff was fantastic and friendly, especially given our status as a needy table with 11 guests, including two very young children. The food was delicious - a combination of various appetizers served to accomodate a larger crowd. I would recommend this restaurant and venue for dinner, events or just a nice relaxing evening watching the sunset. As a fourth generation Newporter, by far, one of our favorites in Newport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for such a wonderful review. We are thrilled to hear that you had a great first birthday celebration at Top of Newport. We appreciate your compliments and thank you on behalf of our manager and all of the staff at Top of Newport. Top of Newport is a one of a kind experience, there is no other place like it in Newport. Your description sounds so inviting and you said it right "relaxing evening and watching the sunset". We are really pleased that you enjoyed your experience here at Top of Newport and hope that you will return for future celebrations and special occasions.
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This experience was so pathetic,I don't know where to begin. Here is the first part... THIS IS NOT A FOUR STAR HOTEL. The service is 1 star... maybe.
Welcome: Pathetic. The doors were not opened for us. No one even said "Welcome". We got our room key. This was like the welcome of an old friend, maybe even a friend that doesn't like you, letting you use their apartment for the weekend.
Room: We reserved a mansion suite for 4 people. This "suite" is no such thing. The room off the bedroom is TINY - just big enough for the double or queen sized sofa bed to unroll. Then you have this coffee table and no where to put it. The maid advised a place to put it that prevented the bedroom door from closing? So then the coffee table ended up in the bedroom, which at the outset was a good size, but when the table was put inside, and the chair moved (the only option was in front of the closet door), the room looked like you had just moved into an apartment and couldn't figure out where to put your furniture.
Bathroom: This deserves a separate section because of how totally pathetic it is. It is TINY. The shower door opens into the shower because it cannot open out. The toilet and sink are on top of eachother. The sink is maybe 18 inches wide (generous) and 6 inches out. Every time I washed my face, the floor would get soaked and very slippery. Since there were no towel hooks, we took to leaving all of our towels under the sink to absorb the water. Which brings me to the next point... of towels. There were four people on our reservation. The first day we called and asked for extra towels. The next day the maid took the towels and left us only two sets of towels. What sense does that make?
Service Issues: I called for the luggage after checking in. I waited 30 minutes and called again. At 45 minutes the luggage arrived. The next morning, I realized that there was this stuff called "whitener" (seriously) as a standin for milk or cream for the coffee. Cancer in a package. (Yes, this is nitpicking, but the whitener was not really the issue). I called down and asked whether there was milk available. The lady told me that she would send some up. I waited a full hour, as my already brewed coffee turned cold. I went downstairs to go for a run down to Cliffwalk and noticed that there was coffee and milk in the lobby. I don't have a proper term for my reaction. I brought a cup up to my boyfriend and then left the hotel without being acknowledged in any way through doors I opened for myself even though there were two doormen there (this was a recurring problem, so it will get it's own section). The ice machine was not working. I called and asked for three buckets of ice and got two tiny buckets of ice.
Door/Front Desk: It is VERY strange to walk into ANY hotel and not be greeted. Each time we entered or exited the hotel we opened the door for ourselves (even though there was someone standing by). On one occasion, it was really pathetic. There were two doormen standing by the door. They looked at me as I walked toward the front door and looked away. No words, no action, Not even an attempt to look like they might try to open the door. Then I entered the hotel. There was a man standing at the valet. NOTHING. Then I walked by the man at the front desk who looked up at me, and looked back down. NOTHING. Not a word spoken. This is so bizarre!! HORRIBLE.
Parking: $33/day. Seriously?
Other: There is no outdoor pool.
Summary: This hotel is not committed to hospitality. If you want anything other than a sub-par, overpriced room, go somewhere else.

3 Thank WhitsEnd2014
Your detailed comment regarding the service you received during your stay here is totally disappointing and unacceptable to all of us at the Hotel Viking. Our Executive Team strives to continually train and instill our purpose and mission to each and every staff member. Sadly, in your case we have failed to deliver what we strongly believe, and know we are capable of, which is to provide our guests with the best service possible. Unfortunately, this was not a good visit from beginning to end for you. We at the Hotel Viking sincerely apologize and do appreciate your comments, good or bad, as it allows us to know what areas we may need to improve upon.
Columbus, OH
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was not happy with our room. I know booking a historic room means oddly shaped and potentially small. We've stayed in historic hotels before. However, this room was shabby, unclean and falling apart. A mansion room we paid over $600 for, and we had many problems!

1) The sheets had stains on them. The maid said the yellow spots were just a cleaner they used on the sheets. Regardless, I don't want spotty sheets. Or those with holes in them, which these had too.

2) The duvet cover had a questionable stain on it. Even the maid said "Ew". She took the duvet cover and it was never returned the whole stay, or replaced.

3) The bathtub sprayer handle shot water out the side of the base when you turned it on.

4) The wallpaper was peeling everywhere. There were especailly large peices peeling off above the door in the bathroom.

5) There was a large plastic framing peice for the window bay that was cracked off and a nail was sticking out.

6) There were general unkept things and dusty things. Like there were big black finger smudges on the door around the knob. The window bay in the bathroom had dust and crud on it.

7) The binder of hotel info was broken and towrn. Yes, this is little, but yet another detail missed.

8) I saw a big black bug!!! Roach! My husand took it down to the front desk to show just how gross things were.

I expect much more from a hotel, especailly one of your marketed quality. When basic cleanliness can't even be meet, that is a major problem. Mataience wasn't even maintanced in the room. We were not happy.

Room Tip: As everyone says the bathrooms are ridiculously small.