“Bountiful Class”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Bountiful Class”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Opulent hotel without the stuffiness. Beautifully designed rooms. Bellmen were on their game. Front desk extremely kind, especially the Joakim Phoneix look a like. Swedish massage with heather in their boutique spa was perfect. Great pool. Location a quick walk downtown. The room service was overpriced but then again, no one is perfect!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Caseytravels2
Eva M, Exec. Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for all the nice compliments on behalf of our associates . We are glad to hear that your stay was a success .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 2, 2013

we stayed recently for the Folk Festival. Our room was a room with 2 queen-size beds, plasma set with a separate bath room and sink. The room was clean, water pressure was good, beds were ultra comfortable, AC was quiet but efficient. The decor was 18th 19th century motif. Parking was $30 per day across the street (which you park yourself or via valet). The hotel contains a restaurant on the first floor, a live band music lounge on the roof, swimming pool and exercise room. It's a 3 block walk to the center of Newport which is good because downtown Newport can be rather loud. Staff were polite and helpful. I've stayed all over the US and recently stayed at the Del Coronado (a 5 star hotel) given that the Viking did not disappoint.

Room Tip: we stayed in a room on the ground floor which was concerning at first but turned out to be excellent...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Felix J
Thank you for your detailed description of your stay at the Hotel Viking. We appreciate your positive comments. Please come and visit us again.
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Old style hotel without the modern conveniences of a
Holiday Inn Select. You can't miss people walking
around on the floor above your room. The AC unit is
very loud in the room. The water pressure in the shower
was not strong enough for my wife to easily clean her
hair so she had to go to the hair dresser across the
street. The elevators were very slow, luckily the
stairs were a good option. The "do not disturb" tags
were confusing. The in room safe was functioning and
useful. The shades were of high quality and properly
and completely blocked out all sun. The bedding was
made of quality materials, but the outer comforter and
fancy pillow cases are unlikely to be ever washed
between customers. The room's electronics were average,
yet funny wires were exposed and the power outlets were
already overwhelmed with items already in the room.
There was a small fridge available to put some of your
own things in. TP was of cheap quality. Soap was not
replaced when partially used... nor a second bar
provided for just the shower. Shampoo/conditioner and
body wash was in a 3-day dispenser on the bath wall
(similar to at a gym), yet the body wash was empty.
Hotel catering food was pretty good. Staff was helpful,
courteous, and available when needed. Which reminds me
of how putrid the front door was, because they allow
smokers to all hang out right in front of the main
entrance... which was especially disgusting during
times of brief rain. Making everyone breath in that
mess. Here is a though for Hotel Viking: Put up a no
smoking sign out front! I would not stay here again
unless there was no other choice. The bed was clean,
but hurt my back after once night. It was bad enough
that we checked out at 10 PM after a wedding, and drove
home instead of spending the second night there. When
checking out, the hotel didn't both to ask why I was
checking out at 10PM (!) and/or how my stay was. Oh,
did I mention that the bathroom had 5 different style
finishing and very old tiling? It was clean, but it
certainly was not nice. There was a BOWL SINK... with
barely enough room to put your hand under the water
coming out without bumping into either the bowl or the
tap.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel if you want a good room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank AlvinMonk
Eva M, Exec. Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Our worst fears are when nothing seems to go right for a guest that stays at the Hotel Viking. Our hotel management team is always extremely concerned and upset when guests have a totally unpleasant experience from the time they arrive until the time they check out. And, unfortunately words cannot change how your experience reflects this. All we can say is we are sorry we could not live up to your expectations .
NYC
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My family and I just spent 5 days at The Hotel Viking and it was great! The staff was completely accommodative, the location perfect and the room - very very nice. Eric (the Concierge) was extremely helpful and the hotel was ideal for families as well as small children.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert L
We are happy to hear that your stay was a success. Thank you, and please stay with us again.
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 26, 2013

So if you are a wealthy old dowager countess or if you look like the guy on the Monopoly box, you can ignore this review, don't worry, you'll be fine. This is your kind of hotel.

If you have small children or enjoy the modern comforts of a modern hotel, you may want to read on.

Now before you think I am some suburban soccer mom luddite who just rolled into Newport in her minivan from the Target parking lot with her precious darlings, I promise you I'm not. I've stayed in nice hotels, I've stayed in historical hotels. I like nice things and I can hang with the fancy Ivy leaguers. So I wasn't expecting a breakfast bar and a game system for my kids.

First, let me say we rented a suite. We were in the Chateau Su Mer (or as we called it Chateau Su Merde) on the third floor. It was very small. But my goodness, I needed a crib and the friendly reservations person told me she couldn't put a crib in the regular room because it was "against fire code". So does that tell you how small the regular room was? In an emergency, you couldn't even escape the room with a baby's travel crib in it! More on that crib in a second.

Actually more on that crib now. I needed a crib for my baby and I've attached the picture of the crib to this review. I know other hotels use this sort of crib, the sort of cross between a prison maternity ward crib and a mental hospital for babies crib. It's scary. It's utilitarian. And at most places, cribs are complimentary. Not here! You will pay $25 for your baby to pretend it is sleeping in Little Shutter Island! $25, a night that is! For the price we paid to rent this crib of horrors, we could have driven to the nearest Target and bought a pack n' play and donated it to the Hotel Viking to help with their modernization efforts.

Also in Chateau su Merde, the artwork on the walls, contained a number of nudes. Fine with me, I don't care if my kids learn about art and the human form. However, you the parent at home reading this, may not appreciate this. Or having your son shout, as my son did the entire trip, "LOOK AT HIS LITTLE PEN*S, MOMMY!" as he pointed to the cherubs in the painting. I'm sure our neighbors or anyone in the hallway thought the world of us.

Chateau su Merde also does not have a refrigerator in the room. Who cares, right? Well you might care if you have a baby who sleeps in the crib of horrors for $25 a night and needs a bottle of milk at 3am. So we had to keep a cooler filled with ice in the bathroom to keep the milk cold. Not so bad but not at Hotel Viking prices.

And, my grandparents slept on the same mattress for 50 years and never replaced it. I believe the Hotel Viking subscribes to the same philosophy as my grandparents. When the baby sleeping in the crib of horrors for $25 gets up for her 3am bathroom milk bottle, there's no point in going back to bed because the mattress was so terrible you weren't asleep anyways so you might as well just sit in the parlor with the flies.

Flies? Oh yes there will be flies. For some reason the door to the third floor is left open to allow access to the roof restaurant (I think they take the ice too because many times the ice would be gone and we would have to search the hotel for more ice like ice nomads) and the hallways of the third floor will sweat with humidity and flies. The flies won't stay in the hallway, they will buzz into your room and all about, annoying the baby in the crib of horrors. The staff can't do anything about it so don't even ask. So maybe avoid the third floor? Or this hotel all together.

The most beautiful night of our vacation was when, over lunch, my husband looked at me and told me through gritted teeth, that he couldn't spend one more night on the mattress, with the baby in the crib of horrors or with the flies. Even though we still had to pay for our last night we said forget it and checked out early and drove home early. I mean that's pretty bad, we were willing to just cut our losses and leave. My advice: save your money and don't even come!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank bigshotlawyer
Eva M, Exec.Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Your review of this hotel is extremely unusual considering the many, many positive reviews we receive. We are truly sorry that there wasn’t a single positive thing related to your entire stay. All of us at the Hotel Viking are focused on ensuring each guest's stay is filled with positive experiences so that they want to return again and again. We apologize that we could not meet your expectations. A mini fridge and microwave are available upon request. The cribs that we use are a design that is certified as safe. We apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced, and we appreciate your review.
Westfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night in April with the family. This was a wonderful hotel. Rooms were comfortable. Great decor. Loved the art work on the walls. Walking distance to shops and restaurants. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing this wonderful review.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The location of The Hotel Viking couldn't be any better. It's on historic Bellevue Ave, and it's just over a mile to the glorious mansions along the shore. The wharf are is a short 5 minute walk, and that seems to be where all of the action is...bars, restaurants, etc.
The staff made a friendly and helpful first impression, and continued to "wow" throughout my stay. The room was large and comfortable, with an impressive bathroom that included a large shower with a rainfall nozzle. I liked the wall mounted dispenser for shower gel, shampoo and conditioner.
The breakfast in the restaurant was fantastic (the omelets are great) and the service was superb.
The only improvement suggestion? A mini-bar in the room! I had medication that needs to be refrigerated and I had to purchase a small cooler, since the room had no means to refrigerate it.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite. They're large and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Your words are a melody to our ears. A fantastic review that we always appreciate so much.