“Worth the Money”

Hotel Viking
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My family and I just spent 5 days at The Hotel Viking and it was great! The staff was completely accommodative, the location perfect and the room - very very nice. Eric (the Concierge) was extremely helpful and the hotel was ideal for families as well as small children.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert L
Eva M, Exec. Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

We are happy to hear that your stay was a success. Thank you, and please stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Viking

Reviewed July 26, 2013

So if you are a wealthy old dowager countess or if you look like the guy on the Monopoly box, you can ignore this review, don't worry, you'll be fine. This is your kind of hotel.

If you have small children or enjoy the modern comforts of a modern hotel, you may want to read on.

Now before you think I am some suburban soccer mom luddite who just rolled into Newport in her minivan from the Target parking lot with her precious darlings, I promise you I'm not. I've stayed in nice hotels, I've stayed in historical hotels. I like nice things and I can hang with the fancy Ivy leaguers. So I wasn't expecting a breakfast bar and a game system for my kids.

First, let me say we rented a suite. We were in the Chateau Su Mer (or as we called it Chateau Su Merde) on the third floor. It was very small. But my goodness, I needed a crib and the friendly reservations person told me she couldn't put a crib in the regular room because it was "against fire code". So does that tell you how small the regular room was? In an emergency, you couldn't even escape the room with a baby's travel crib in it! More on that crib in a second.

Actually more on that crib now. I needed a crib for my baby and I've attached the picture of the crib to this review. I know other hotels use this sort of crib, the sort of cross between a prison maternity ward crib and a mental hospital for babies crib. It's scary. It's utilitarian. And at most places, cribs are complimentary. Not here! You will pay $25 for your baby to pretend it is sleeping in Little Shutter Island! $25, a night that is! For the price we paid to rent this crib of horrors, we could have driven to the nearest Target and bought a pack n' play and donated it to the Hotel Viking to help with their modernization efforts.

Also in Chateau su Merde, the artwork on the walls, contained a number of nudes. Fine with me, I don't care if my kids learn about art and the human form. However, you the parent at home reading this, may not appreciate this. Or having your son shout, as my son did the entire trip, "LOOK AT HIS LITTLE PEN*S, MOMMY!" as he pointed to the cherubs in the painting. I'm sure our neighbors or anyone in the hallway thought the world of us.

Chateau su Merde also does not have a refrigerator in the room. Who cares, right? Well you might care if you have a baby who sleeps in the crib of horrors for $25 a night and needs a bottle of milk at 3am. So we had to keep a cooler filled with ice in the bathroom to keep the milk cold. Not so bad but not at Hotel Viking prices.

And, my grandparents slept on the same mattress for 50 years and never replaced it. I believe the Hotel Viking subscribes to the same philosophy as my grandparents. When the baby sleeping in the crib of horrors for $25 gets up for her 3am bathroom milk bottle, there's no point in going back to bed because the mattress was so terrible you weren't asleep anyways so you might as well just sit in the parlor with the flies.

Flies? Oh yes there will be flies. For some reason the door to the third floor is left open to allow access to the roof restaurant (I think they take the ice too because many times the ice would be gone and we would have to search the hotel for more ice like ice nomads) and the hallways of the third floor will sweat with humidity and flies. The flies won't stay in the hallway, they will buzz into your room and all about, annoying the baby in the crib of horrors. The staff can't do anything about it so don't even ask. So maybe avoid the third floor? Or this hotel all together.

The most beautiful night of our vacation was when, over lunch, my husband looked at me and told me through gritted teeth, that he couldn't spend one more night on the mattress, with the baby in the crib of horrors or with the flies. Even though we still had to pay for our last night we said forget it and checked out early and drove home early. I mean that's pretty bad, we were willing to just cut our losses and leave. My advice: save your money and don't even come!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank bigshotlawyer
Eva M, Exec.Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Your review of this hotel is extremely unusual considering the many, many positive reviews we receive. We are truly sorry that there wasn’t a single positive thing related to your entire stay. All of us at the Hotel Viking are focused on ensuring each guest's stay is filled with positive experiences so that they want to return again and again. We apologize that we could not meet your expectations. A mini fridge and microwave are available upon request. The cribs that we use are a design that is certified as safe. We apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced, and we appreciate your review.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night in April with the family. This was a wonderful hotel. Rooms were comfortable. Great decor. Loved the art work on the walls. Walking distance to shops and restaurants. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for writing this wonderful review.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

The location of The Hotel Viking couldn't be any better. It's on historic Bellevue Ave, and it's just over a mile to the glorious mansions along the shore. The wharf are is a short 5 minute walk, and that seems to be where all of the action is...bars, restaurants, etc.
The staff made a friendly and helpful first impression, and continued to "wow" throughout my stay. The room was large and comfortable, with an impressive bathroom that included a large shower with a rainfall nozzle. I liked the wall mounted dispenser for shower gel, shampoo and conditioner.
The breakfast in the restaurant was fantastic (the omelets are great) and the service was superb.
The only improvement suggestion? A mini-bar in the room! I had medication that needs to be refrigerated and I had to purchase a small cooler, since the room had no means to refrigerate it.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite. They're large and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Your words are a melody to our ears. A fantastic review that we always appreciate so much.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was my first trip to Newport and Hotel Viking. The location is perfect! It's an easy walk anywhere you need to go, and makes it easy to travel without having to rent a car. The rooms aren't large but they are nicely appointed and classy. The hotel is a historic hotel and beautiful and quaint. The staff was very nice and it was nice to have my Wall Street Journal there each morning. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate you taking the time and writing these nice comments. It is so important to us to have satisfied guests like you. Our staff works very hard to try to please each little request for our guests, they pay attention to each little detail. We are also glad to hear that you were satisfied with us to deliver the paper to you every morning. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here since we were going to a local wedding. The location is great. It's not right in the middle of the madness but it is a perfect walk to the wharf, town or Easton beach. I read reviews and expected small rooms. They aren't large by any means, but it certainly was not small or too cramped. The bathrooms are smaller than most hotels, but the shower is large and fully updated with tile and a fantastic shower head. The hotel and rooms were very clean. The historic hotel holds nostalgia, yet keeps up with modern day class. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. Yes, the hotel is pricey but you are in Newport mid summer.

After the wedding we returned to change and then headed back out to meet the bridal party. We walked outside and asked the valet for cab. The gentlemen asked us to hop in the hotel car and gave us a complimentary ride to the bar where we were meeting friends. It was unexpected and very hospitable. He even offered to drive us back. Little things like this go a long way in the service industry.

Valet and parking are $32 a day, but worth to walk everywhere.

There is a lovely cheese shop and wine shop across the street. I highly recommend checking those out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Your review puts a big smile on our faces. You expressed it all so wonderfully. We are most appreciative of your kind words. We are in a perfect location , we do have a wide range of guestrooms to everyone’s liking. And yes our showers located in the historic wing do have the rain shower heads which are so popular among our guests. Our valet service is provided by fantastic individuals that we are so pride of. They are a great asset to the hotel . We are glad to hear that you had a chance to experience the unique service that they provide.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

So let's start with expectations. The Hotel Viking is rich in history having opened in 1926 and it has certainly had it's share of celebrity guests....President Kennedy, Ella Fitzgerald, and Bob Dylan to name a few. The town of Newport, RI is a wonderful place to visit and, from what I can discern, there is no nicer place to stay in the city than the Hotel Viking. That being said, the Hotel Viking is NOT a five-star hotel.

Don't get me wrong. It's a nice hotel, it's just that it can't be mentioned in the same breath as the Stein Eriksen Lodge in Utah, the Broadmoor in Colorado, or Ponte Vedra Inn & Club in Jacksonville. These are just a few of the true 5-Star luxury hotels to which all others must be measured.

Let's start with the positives which are, in a word, location. Newport is a great town to explore and visit and Hotel Viking is situated close to everything. Wonderful shops and restaurants. Mansions and bookstores galore to visit and explore and then there is the seaport! Fishing boats, luxury yachts and sailing boats too numerous to count. What a treat!

Unfortunately, the positives really start....and end there. The hotel is above average in facilities and service when compared to an everyday hotel, but when compared to the truly exceptional hotels (to which it wishes to be compared) it is a bit lacking. Well, with the exception of a VERY nice Pool and Fitness Room. They are top notch.

Specifics? Here we go....and remember, it's the little things that count.

1. It is very difficult getting into and out of the hotel. This is primarily the result of it's location. Narrow streets and a very "cramped" drive at the front entrance add up to an uncomfortable check-in and check-out. (I will say that the desk personal were very nice and actual check-in was a breeze, however.)

2. Parking. Take advantage of the valet service! After all, you can either use the valet OR self-park. EITHER WAY, it will costs you $32 per day. That's right. Same price, so go the route of the Valet.

3. Internet. TERRIBLE! I never was able to connect reliably. My wife and son had more success, but it was certainly not very good service. In this day and age, consistent and high speed internet is a MUST. Failing grade to Hotel Viking on this one.

4. Maid Service. Okay, this is a tricky one to speak of, but it needs to be said. When you leave the room in the morning with a half roll of toilet paper on the roll, you really should be able to expect the maid to provide an additional new roll, right? Yeah, I thought so too, but that's not what happened. (In fairness, when my son called about it that night we were provided with TWO rolls.)

5. With three of us sharing the room, I think it is a fair request for some extra towels. Nope. Totally ignored the request. Oh, and I think they should sweep the room each day. (Are my expectations too high for an "elegant grand hotel?" I didn't think so either.)

6. Pretty limited television choices and no numbers on the remote control. What? Did they wear off or what? Well, of course I could still figure out which button corresponded to which button, but REALLY?

7. Instead of individual bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel, the hotel uses dispensers attached to the shower wall. Very cool! Well, it would have been if the maid would have filled them up each day....or at least ONCE during our four night stay.

There were a few other positives. The hotel has a lot of character and it is sort of quaint. Outside of the poor maid service, all of the other personnel were quite friendly and attentive. (Actually, the maid was also friendly.....just inefficient.)

So there you have it. Would I stay again? Absolutely! It's a very nice hotel. My only admonition to other travelers is that it is NOT five star. To be fair, it is above average and I would definitely give it Four-Stars.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. It is very disconcerting and upsetting when we read a review of our hotel that is not favorable and was not a pleasant experience. We apologize for all that occurred during the visit and do wish we had been able to solve the various issues. We are all putting our thoughts together to make sure these things do not happen again.