“Girls Weekend”

Hotel Viking
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've been several times for a "mom's weekend." The hotel is in a great location- walking distance to shops and restaurants. The hotel lobby, bar, and spa are all nice and the service was good throughout our stay. For some reason, my friends are always put in a room that is a very far walk from the main part of the hotel. Again, not a big deal. However, my main complaint is with the room itself. The decor is a little tacky- too many competing patterns. The bathroom is split into two tiny rooms. One has the toilet and shower. It gets very steamy even with the loud fan on. The other room has a very small sink/vanity as well as the closet. The size and quality of the fixtures are not up to the standards of a nicer hotel. Also, the AC unit and the fridge are very loud- hard to fall and stay asleep. Overall, a pleasant stay, but could really use some updating to bring it in line with hotels of the same caliber.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Luckygirl16
Eva M, Exec. Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you for your review. We take these reviews very seriously, as they can help us to make changes and improvements. We apologize for any inconveniences that you had during your stay.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Viking

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed at their 2nd floor suites for 4 nights, very spacious rooms, luxurious bed linen and toiletries.
High speed complimentary wifi in room. Breakfast was a big spread with lots of choice. Short walk to the beach where many dining options available. Excellent location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Daytripper1on1
Eva M, Exec. Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you so much for this wonderful description. You’ve described us exactly right. We are glad that you were able to enjoy our great suite for 4 nights with all the awesome amenities. Our guest do enjoy the complimentary wifi throughout the entire hotel. We try to offer a breakfast with a lot of varieties so everyone can find something to their liking. The great location is one of our best assets here at The Hotel Viking. Please come and stay with us again.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

If I want to enjoy the city of Newport I always stay at the Viking. The hotel is beautiful, the staff superior and helpful, the restaurant four stars and the spa the one of the best I have ever been to.

1  Thank Everrob

We feel so privileged to find out that we are the top choice of yours when you travel to Newport. We truly appreciate your business. We are so proud of all our associates, and we truly do have a great team that is passionate to provide the best service possible. Thank you for visiting our restaurant and spa. Our Chef Kevin Thiele is very talented and we are so lucky to have his talent used on our property. The Spaterre is a sanctuary, a one of a kind experience in all of New England. We hope to see you next time you are visiting Newport.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for several nights for a work conference and came a day early to sight see. The hotel is beautiful and well located. The staff was all friendly and eager to help. I ate breakfast in the dining room one morning and it was good. I used the valet parking a lot and it was helpful, but I saw there was a small self-park lot nearby if you don't want to pay for valet.

I had the least expensive room, which was clean and had a view, but was a little on the small side. If I had to deduct a point, it would be for that, but otherwise, the place was great. I highly recommend it and I would go there again. I would just pay a little more next time for a bigger room.

Side note, there is a hair salon across the street where I had my hair blown out and they did a good job. Also, I went to the chocolate shop across the street from the hotel. It was after lunch but they made me a delicious meal to go.

Room Tip: If it's not much more, I'd pay for a bigger room. I didn't see the other sizes, but I...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Hotel is almost a century old but is in very nice shape. Parking either self or valet is an extra charge. We only ate breakfast there, but it was good and not overly expensive. The rooms are a bit pricy but Newport in general is a pricy place. The rooms were clean and quiet, but there were not a lot of extra's included. Overall we enjoyed our stay and the staff was eager to help.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

We are the first hotel built in 1926 in Newport. Unfortunately, parking is very limited in Newport. We do offer convenient parking for all our guests for an additional charge. We are glad to hear you got to enjoy a lovely breakfast in One Bellevue. Our guestrooms are newly renovated, they all include complimentary high speed internet. We do have a indoor pool and award winning spa on property. Top of Newport is a roof top bar with gorgeous views open May – September. We hope to see you in the future again.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

My stay was pleasant and enjoyable that was well worth the trip and stay at the hotel looking if possible to come in the summer for a long three day weekend if I am able to based on my schedule thank you

• Stayed: May 2013

We are happy to hear that your stay was a pleasant one. We look forward to have you stay with us again this summer.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The hotel was lovely. Room very nice. Good value . Only problem was the restaurant where I celebrated my birthday. The steak tartare app and the lamb main were horrible. Barely edible. Staff at Hotel great.
I would return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

We are glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel and guestroom. On the other side, we are very disappointed to read that your restaurant experience was not the best. We have immediately addressed the issues that you described. Our chef is very serious about providing a culinary experience each and every time. We hope that you will return and we can prove to you that One Bellevue is a 4 star restaurant with some of the best food in Newport.