“Great work conference!”

Hotel Viking
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Recently my team held a work conference at the Hotel Viking, and we had a great experience. The hotel has great new England charm, and the service was fantastic. I especially liked the period details, and the huge bed was fantastically comfortable. Location was great - easy to walk to the wharf for dinner, and lots of nearby attractions would make this a great home base for a fun weekend. The staff was great and flexible - they were able to adjust on the fly to changing AV/tech needs for our speakers. Management was also very helpful, and checked in regularly to ensure our group was set up for success.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Brian S
Eva M, Exec. Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

What a great place to spend a conference. The hotel Viking does have that great New England charm. We do receive many compliments regarding our comfortable beds. We are a very popular hotel as you mentioned, being a home base for a fun weekend. Once you park your car you are in the center of it all. We are glad to hear that our staff went above and beyond to accommodate your needs throughout the conference. We hope to have your group back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Viking

Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Hotel Viking was stunning and the rooms were super comfortable! The restaurant also has a breakfast buffet and cute outdoor seating area that was a perfect start to our morning. The Hotel is conveniently located on Bellevue Avenue and walking distance from key points in the city which was great and in all the perfect last minute trip to relax and recharge. Definitely looking forward to going back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Eva M, Exec. Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments. You have described our hotel just as we would like to see it described. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to have you stay again!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I loved our one night stay at this hotel. We took advantage of their Mansion package which included a 1 night stay, complimentary valet parking, breakfast, and two tickets to the mansions. The hotel is in a great location; just a short walk to the main street with a ton of restaurants and shopping. The staff was excellent, answered all of our questions and gave us directions to the mansions, cliff walks and the center of town. We are planning on staying here again.

2  Thank Caitlyn M

Our Mansion package is a great way to stay with us and to see one of the Newport mansions. Our location is at the center of the attractions here in Newport, and is within walking distance of most of the attractions in town. We look forward for your next stay with us.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Viking Hotel as many have said, does have that old world Newport charm which comes with pros and cons.

The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in compared to the standard hotel beds you normally get, plenty of cushions and for once a duvet instead of sheets/blankets! My room was spacious with plenty of space for me to move around and work if needed. The down side of this old world charm is that I could hear the movements and conversations of those above me or in the hallway at times, admittedly not until the late hours but for a light sleeper it was noticeable.

My visit was a business related conference, so my perspective of the hotel was from the Hotel bar and the various conference/function rooms. Wifi was freely available in all areas and a good connection speed, the rooms were light and airy and didn’t leave you crawling at the walls after meetings/presentations.

Overall friendly staff, spacious rooms and a Lovely old world feel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 597marcg

We receive many many comments on the comfort of our guest beds. The duvet is a nice compliment to the already super comfortable beds. We are happy to hear that your conference stay with us was enjoyable. Thank you.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

This old historic building has a beautiful, if understated entrance. The staff is EXTREMELY helpful and attentive. The rooms, at first glance are beautifully decorated. I just think they lacked the sophistication to be a 5. The tacky display of snacks arrayed on the chest of drawers when we arrived just left me blah! Our bathroom was small and zero counter space. I appreciate the Green effort, but the sink aerator made me wait 4 minuted for warm water. I almost gave a 3 rating, and you will have to decide if this merits a 3, but the walls were so paper thin that I heard every word of conversations in the hall from business meeting gab to breakfast plans. And, the creeping footsteps of the room above was eerie. Oh! I also heard my next door neighbor's alarm go off, apparently long before he did!

Room Tip: Maybe there is a new part of the hotel that is more sound proof. Ask!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your comments, as it allows allows us to see where we need to make changes and improvements. We hope that we can provide a better experience should you decide to stay with us again.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We spent one night at this hotel, receiving a discounted rate from one of the 'hotel' sites out there (don't remember which one). The rate wasn't spectacular, but fairly competitive for hotels in the area - which are I suspect seasonally inflated. Our 'better' rate gave us a room in the original building over the entrance and right by the elevator.

The hotel is located a few blocks up the hill from the main tourist strip along the water, which is kind of nice. There's some nice common areas, and the hotel has a Victorian feel in its decor.
The staff is friendly and helpful.

The classic nature of this hotel leads to some quirks: The windows are older wood framed single-pane glass that can let some noise in. The bathrooms are updated, but tiny - giving you a feel for why the English call them water closets. Some of the layout is odd, for example the tv is mounted on a wall perpendicular to the bed instead of across from it - but you don't stay here to watch tv.

Keep in mind you have to valet your car, and a bit of the town is a little too far to walk to from here.

All in all, a nice change of pace from your the standard chain hotels, in a decent location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Eva M, Exec. Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you for your review. We hope that you will come stay with us again. Our hotel is the first hotel in Newport, which gives it much of its historical character. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Viking for a beautiful destination wedding for a family member. It is stately and elegant, great location where we walked to town and I even had my hair done at a wonderful little salon just across the street. The staff was friendly and courteous and welcoming, starting with the valet. BUT.... it's those little things that were aggravating and took away the '10' I might have given it. The room rates are not inexpensive and they charge $35/nite for parking the car!!! That is ridiculous! How can they do that?!?!?! Everyone who comes has a car!! For crying out loud, if they need the money that much more, raise the room rate!! Then, we get to our lovely room in the older, original part that we had requested. The furnishings were beautiful, the bathroom was renovated and well done. I'm allergic to down and the pillows & duvet were down and I forgot to tell them to get them out of the room the first night! There was a Keurig coffee maker in the room & we thought that was a nice touch until we see that we would have to pay $2/cup of coffee that we make in our room!!!! That put me right over the edge!!! Then they have a tray of snax with a price list that was ridiculous, $4 for a candy bar!! But the coffee really ruined it for me........ Breakfast was nice but a bit pricey. It does have a wonderful indoor pool and spa that would've been great if we had thought to bring our bathing suits.
I would probably stay some place else on my next Newport visit.

Room Tip: We chose to be in the older, charming section but it faced the street and was noisy. We spoke to gu...
3  Thank KLMac411

Thank you for your review. It sounds like the wedding you attended was a success. Due to the limited parking availability in Newport, we do charge a parking fee to our guests. Our spa and pool facilities are fantastic, and are not to be missed. We hope that you will try us again in the future.