“Not for those we want to sleep in.”
Review of Hotel Viking

Hotel Viking
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I am a frequent Newport weekender, as we try and go once a month. I typically stay on the water but thought we would try the Viking out for a change. The reviews were mixed so we weren't sure what to expect. Upon arrival the staff was very friendly and on top of their game. We were placed in the wrong room( double beds instead of king) and after calling down they did manage to change our room. There were 2 weddings happening that night so it was a it chaotic. The room was a beautiful and spacious room on the 4th floor. My complaint about the room was that we had wood blinds( no long blackout curtains) and at 6am we were wide awake because the shades provided no shield from the sunrise. I went down the the desk the next night and asked if our room was missing curtains on the valence and the engineer was very nice and came to inspect the blinds. The told me that's how they are on the 4th floor but he would be happy to change my room. Which they did to a room across the hall. But it was the exact same room with the exact same blinds. So I went back to the desk and told them never mind I would just stay where we were. Nate at the desk was wonderfully and wanted me to be happy. So he moved me to the 3rd floor and told me to see if that would work. Upon walking in the door I was floored. He moved us to a 2 story, 2 bathroom suite. My fiancé and I were so happy. What we didn't realize in our pure excitement of the suite was that there was a skylight directly above our bed WITH NO SHADE! So 2 mornings in a row we woke up at 6:15am! I don't even wake up at that time at home! I called down to the desk to see if there was a switch somewhere that would generate a shade and they said no. Very poor design if they ask me. Now we didn't pay for the suite so I can't complain about it. But one thing I will say if your thinking about booking a suite is the bathroom was to up to par. Everything was beautiful exact for the master bath upstairs. It was a regular old shower that we had in or first room or that u would have in any hotel. For a suite I would have expected the marble to continue in the bathroom to a walk in, rain head shower. Or an oversized tub. But the marble floors stopped at the tub and then the normal tan subway tiled bath continued. We loved the hotel and would have stayed there again but when on vacation I would like t sleep in or take an afternoon nap but that hotel doesn't seem to be able to provide that. The parking at $30 is steap. I see from comments they made they say that they are in line with other hotels but they simply are not. I have stayed at many hotels right on the water and they are not $30 even in peak season. We did not try the restaurant on premise as we heard from other guests it was very overpriced. Beds were decent, not as soft as i wold prefer but the linens were nice. We considered ordering room service but that was a bit high too. Pool, sauna, hot tub and gym were all very nice and clean. Overall we loved the hotel and the customer service we received. But I am upset we never got to sleep past 6:15 during our 2 night stay at hotel Viking and I would be weary to try it again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the thousands are the renovated rooms.
1  Thank Brittney B
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

It is always discouraging to all of us at the Hotel Viking when we receive reviews that are not indicative of what we are really all about. Your review provided insight as to where we were not able to offer what you needed to have a relaxing and enjoyable weekend. We do appreciate your comments about the hotel and our guest service.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,182)

Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel is in a great location and could potentially be a lot of fun - but the rooms are tiny, dark and insanely noisy! Good thing I wasn't planning on resting and rejuvenating during my stay - if that's what you want, this is not the place. I could actually hear the next door guest getting sick in his bathroom after what I gathered was a big night for him. The windows, doors and walls are not insulated at all so there was not any quiet at all. If you don't plan to spend any time in the rooms, this place is great - walking distance to all the best places.

Room Tip: If you stay here, make sure to ask for a room not on the Bellevue Avenue side.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

We apologize that you did not have a very good experience.

Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Our first visit to Newport on our New England holiday. A stunning looking building built with red brick. Modern comfortable bedrooms with all the usual facilities.

Only 5 minutes walk from the harbour area. Plenty of restaurants but might be better to make a reservation as we were caught out by how busy it was on a Thursday night!

The hotel bar was cosy with friendly staff.

A great place to stay on holiday or on business.

• Stayed: October 2012

We are so glad you were to visit us at the Hotel Viking during your visit to Newport on your New England holiday.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Love Hotel Viking for EVERYTHING it offers. The rooms have the quaint New England charm, with all the modern day conveniences we enjoy.
In enter of town, can walk to almost anywhere. The service outstanding....the food in the restaurant Hotel is top rated. We travel to Newport frequently and are NEVER disappointed in our stay at the Viking.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

New England’s cities and towns all have such unique flavors to each of them, from Maine to Connecticut. And, we here at the Hotel Viking love Newport, RI and all that it has to offer. It is definitely has so much of New England historic charm. It is great that you are return visitors and guests at the Hotel Viking. That tells the story!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Beautiful Hotel - Great Location - great service with friendly staff. The rooms are set up for business or pleasure travel. The gym and pool and spa are fantastic. The restaurant in the lobby is great too, only a little slow when busy for breakfast. The location of this place is fantastic - walking distance to all of Newport which is a beautiful scenic place to visit.

Room Tip: This is a big hotel - so just check to make sure the location of your room works for you.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you! Thank you! You have captured the essence of the spirit of the Hotel Viking!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

stayed mid week for 2 nights- other than some road work being done outside the hotel - the stay was perfect. Michelle at the front desk was absolutely spot on. We had not been to newport before, so we were looking for some tips on what to do, where to go - glad she gave us some pointers. The rest of the staff was just as good! Best breakfast around was found right there in the hotel. Rooms were very comfortable and clean. Try it- you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

What better way to take a breather from “every day life” than to come and stay with us at the Hotel Viking! It is a chance for a bit of pampering, quiet time, and a new slant of life! We are all pleased we were able to contribute to your “mid-week getaway”.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is a smart comfortable hotel in a gorgeous town, and only a ten minute stroll from the waterside. We had a vast room and a good dinner in the restaurant, so why aren't I rating it higher? Well, three things

First, the bed in our room was so high that my wife, who is not tall, had the greatest difficulty in getting in and out of it at all. It really needed its own escalator, and we quickly ceased finding it funny.

Secondly, when we went down for breakfast, we found that it was - can you believe this? - not available to 'ordinary' residents, because the room was booked by a conference of some kind. We could see that the room was serving breakfast to conference delegates, and that it was very far from full. Could room be found for us? No, it could not. Disgraceful.

As you might suppose, we were extremely unhappy about this, and the hotel graciously waived the overnight parking charge. We actually hadn't been aware that there was one for the open air and not secure piece of tarmac across the road, but there was, and it was $30. Good grief. Strike three.

This hotel needs to sort out its priorities.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Our apologies to you and your wife that your stay was not up to what we pride ourselves on and that is the best in guest service .