“Wonderful Hotel!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
South Kingstown
“Wonderful Hotel!”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed at the hotel this weekend, and from start to finish the hotel viking and staff exceeded my expectations. All of the staff made me feel welcomed and went above and beyond to help assist in every way. They were very professional and extremely friendly. It was such an amazing weekend. I would recommend this hotel to anyone I know. What a great place!! The food was amazing and the rooms were spotless and fresh. What a wonderful atmosphere and great place to stay. Thank you for such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
mmalloy, Executive Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
It is our pleasure that we were able to see you had a wonderful experience at the hotel and plan to tell others about us. That is the highest compliment a guest can give and we gratefully accept it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

This is the most beautiful hotel ever! From the second you pull in to the front you are greeted by the nicest bellmen. They do everything to assist. I have stayed here many times and every time the place is so clean and beautiful. I am getting married here and couldn't be happier with the staff that has helped me plan my wedding, especially Linda the wedding coordinator, she is truly an amazing person. We stayed in the King Cotes Suite, this room is amazing and only room with a terrace. The fireplace is gorgeous! The room is perfect. I had a hot stone treatment at Spa Terre, that was the best experience ever! The spa here is amazing!! Everyone should do a hot stone massage. I'm so lucky to say I got married at the Hotel Viking!

• Stayed June 2012
mmalloy, Executive Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
What a nice tribute to all of us at the hotel. We are very happy that the stay was great. We intend to do all that we can to make your wedding “Your Special Day to Remember”, and we are looking forward to your return.
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Lovely hotel, very comfortable situated in a quiet area but within a few minutes walk to the areas you'll want to check out. Helpful staff and great breakfasts!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kevin w
Thank you for your comments. We are appreciative!
new york city
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We've stayed at the Hotel Viking at least two other times and always had a good experience, but it has been a couple of years since our last visit. We booked two days over Memorial Day weekend because of past experiences...boy was that a mistake. First thing we noticed was the entry way needed painting, and even though a sign said "pardon our dust" had never noticed disrepair in our previous visits. The Hotel itself is a grand old hotel and all was fine until we got to our room. It was quite a distance from the front desk and obviously not in the older part of the hotel. First thing we noticed was a split bathroom. A shower and stool in one small room. And a sink and storage in another (right across the small entry way from one another). So when you went to the bathroom, you had to step across the entryway to wash your hands. We found this un-sanitary and quite inconvenient. Water was very slow to drain from the sink and the shower and always found yourself standing in ankle deep water when showering. Perhaps the biggest shock was having a dispenser on the wall of the shower for body gel, shampoo and conditioner. It was something you probably wouldn't even find at a Hotel 6. Not only did you have no idea what you were using, as far as we could tell anyone could open it and put anything they wanted in the dispenser. I've never stayed in what is known as a classy hotel without brand name products that were replenished as your stay progressed. Even though the room was supposedly cleaned each day, a small piece of toilet paper that was clearly visible on the floor remained their after the cleaning on both days so I can only assume the room was not thoroughly cleaned. You could clearly hear the people in the room above ours moving furniture or something late at night and early in the morning. It was almost like it was a storage room because of the loudness of items being moved and the times of day. On our first night, at midnight, a CD with Christmas carols began playing. And at 5AM, the alarm came on loudly to a local radio station. We had not touched the clock hoping to sleep in a bit, but obviously someone had intended to play a joke. Never had that happen in all my years of traveling.
We did have really great mojitos in the bar. And the Sunday afternoon gathering on the roof deck with live music was nice. But for the $400 a night, my expectations were completely dashed. Word to the wise, read further reviews and ask a lot of questions and upon arrival, check everything out before you unpack and settle in for your stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank captainshowbiz
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Nothing seemed to go right. It is always extremely difficult for us to read that a guest had a most unpleasant visit to the Hotel Viking. Because our goal is to make sure all of our guests receive the best possible service we have to give, it is so troubling to us when we fall far short of that goal. We cannot change what occurred during your stay, however, it certainly gives a huge wake-up call to once again tend to those necessary details that help to make us a better place to stay.
Connecticut
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The Viking is an historical landmark. That's a nice way to say prepare to stay at an older and challenged hotel. The room that we had was 320 square feet, larger than than standard room, but it seemed much smaller. The bathroom literally felt like it was in the room in the way that it was designed with the fixtures pressed against the glass door. The bed was a King and the mattress was completely shot with a hole in the center of it.

The staff is marginally nasty and has obviously been abused by the many complaints of past guests. The elevator in the main building is extremely slow and always packed. Give yourself an extra 5-10 minutes to get up and down.

Getting coffee in the morning was an event in that no one manages the coffee that they put out for guests and it's impossible to get a cup of coffee at the restaurant. The front desk even suggested that I try the coffee shop across the street. You could also opt for a $3 Keurig cup in the room.

Checking in I was asked if I wanted valet parking or if I would be self parking the car. I asked where the lot was and they said right across the street, so I self parked it.
Checking out I was handed a bill for an additional $30 per day to "self park" my car. I asked how much valet cost and they said "the same".

Hidden charges and hidden issues is what to expect from this "gem" of a hotel. It's also inconvenient to town versus other Newport hotels. It's no wonder that they have vacancy when others do not.

Stay away. They will not treat you like either a guest or a customer. They appear to not want your business.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank travelizer
We are always disheartened when issues occur during a visit as is the case with your visit. One thing that is important to note though is that we do not have hidden fees. We are transparent with what our charges are to our guests. They are on the website and when you book directly with us at the hotel, the parking fee is addressed during the reservation process. All of us apologize to you that nothing seemed to go well.
simbsury, ct
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This was a very nice hotel. Parking is easily located across the street if you don't want to valet park. We had one of the smaller rooms (I forget what the name of the room type was), but it was still very spacious and comfortable. We only stayed for one night and did not eat dinner at the hotel or use the fitness facilities.
The hotel was within walking distance to almost everything. We walked to the seaport, Cliff Walk, Newport Creamery, The Tennis Hall of Fame, and many of the mansions. Some of the mansions are probably too far away for a comfortable walk, but we had any easy walk to The Elms, The Breakers, and three or four others.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I would actually give this property a 4 star review for the property alone. We were in in the rear of the building. A hike from the front desk. The furnishings were lovely and very attractive. The beds were comfortable. The room was tight for our family of 4. The room where the sink is very tight. Our children thought it was very "fancy." The walls are paper thin! We got to hear in the sexual exploits of the couple next door all weekend. Luckily - our children were oblivious to it. The pool area is very nice. The restaurant is nice but the service was horrible - it was a hot mess at breakfast. We were told the kitchen was overloaded. A customer should not hear that. Customer service - upon arrival - we chose to valet our car for the weekend - $30 a night - sorry - I think this is expensive when you are already paying $300+ a night for a room. We have 2 small children and a lot of luggage - the 3 valets were standing around talking about the cars that had been arriving - they were totally ignoring us and our clear need for help. I finally had to ask them if they could help us get the luggage out of the car - hello! No one offered to help us to our room with the luggage and it was a long walk from the front desk. The front desk check in clerk was not friendly and seemed very pre-occupied. There was no guide to the property in our room - i.e. - pool hours, restaurant hours, tv channels, etc. You needed a total map to find the pool. I called to see about getting one - we never received a property guide - despite the fact that I called a total of 5 times over the weekend. Room service - we needed milk for our 1 year old. I called room service and was told the milk would be $4 + a $5 delivery fee + a tip. I asked if I could meet someone at the front desk to get it - was told no. Most expensive milk we ever purchased! One of our children was sick the morning of check out and I needed to get an item from a pharmacy to help her. I called the front desk to ask them where the closest one was & got transferred to the Spa Terre?! I called the front desk back to ask again & to advise we would be a little late checking out due to a sick child. The clerk was nothing short of rude & advised that the latest we could check out would be 1p & then we would be charged another night. It would have been much more helpful if she had offered some help or perhaps even said sorry your child isn't feeling well. When we did check out - the staff were involved in a very heated and unprofessional sounding argument with another customer. It is not something other guests should hear. We expected much more in terms of superior customer service when paying as much as we did per night.

Room Tip: Can only speak to rooms in the rear - they overlook a parking lot. They were very nicely furnished.