“Fabulous Weekend”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Douglas
“Fabulous Weekend”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My husband and I had a fabulous romantic weekend. The minute you walk into the lobby you are greeted with smiles. The front desk staff were accommodating and welcoming. Everyone who works there right down to the valet attendees were friendly and willing to help. The hotel was decorated beautifully for the holiday season. Our room (Nobel House) was spectacular with a spiral staircase. The upstairs had a four posted bed that was one of the most comfortable beds we have slept in while traveling. The colors were warm and inviting with the old world charm. The bathrooms are roomy and clean with fresh towels and maid service daily. We dined at the restaurant and our meals were delicious with social and responsive wait staff. The lounge had entertainment both nights and the bartenders were fun and engaging. We are always impressed when they remember you and your drinks from the night before. We truly never had to leave our hotel. If you want to stay in a hotel where you feel they truly want to make your stay memorable and special than this is the place for you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
mmalloy, Executive Administrative Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Noble House Hotels and Resorts instills in all of us that the guest is of utmost importance to each and every associate that works for the organization. A culture has been created using the best yet simplest formula to insure our guests have a fabulous and memorable experience. Your description of the hotel and your stay reinforces our resolve to continue to make our guests feel most welcomed during their visit. And, it appears you had a wonderful and romantic getaway! What better way to start the New Year with a renewed energy. Thank you for letting us know!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Went to One Bellvue to celebrate our ten year anniversary. Our waiter Dan, was terrific. He was very attentive and helpful. His recommendations were spot on. The ambience and service was excellent and we had one of our best meals ever. The food was plentiful and cooked to our liking. We were able to linger and eat at our leisure in an intimate setting and enjoy our meal from start to finish. If you go to the Bellvue hopefully you are lucky enough to have Dan as your server while enjoying a delicious meal!

Room Tip: N/A we did not stay there though plan on it next time we come to Newport.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
mmalloy, Executive Administrative Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
What a wonderful way to celebrate ten years of marriage at our One Bellevue Restaurant and we are glad you did so. Congratulations! We are so pleased that you received the very best of service from Dan, who enjoys doing his professional best to make sure the dinner guests he takes care all have a fabulous dinner and experience. Please keep us in mind when you return to Newport and plan an overnight visit with us!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I stayed at the hotel earlier this month and was very pleased at how the hotel maintains a beautiful old world decor, with the comforts of a great bed and shower! The overall impression is one of simple luxury. I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
mmalloy, Executive Administrative Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
Old world charm and simple but elegant luxury describes how we wish to be presented to our guests. It is always nice to see a guest has captured that spirit and enjoyed their stay!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 13, 2011

My husband & i spent a nice weekend at the Hotel Viking in a Newport Room with 2 Queen beds. The room for a historic inn was larger than expected. It was nicely decorated & clean. The downside was that the tub/shower & toilet was on one side of the entrance hall & the sink was across from it on the other side of the entrance hall. In back of the sink was the closet with louvered doors. Inside the closet was a tall dresser, an iron/board & a safe. There was not much room left for hanging clothes although it was fine for the weekend. It was quite a hike to get to our room from the front desk.

There was a Keurig coffeemaker in the room, but the kcups were $3.00 each...too expensive when you can buy them for less than a dollar each. There was a mini bar, but not much was in it. The self parking lot is across the street from the entrance, but there is not much room. I was told that if we could not find a space we could use valet parking for the same charge per day. There was free coffee in the lobby which was very good & a nice place to relax & make your plans for the day or read the newspaper they provide. The lobby & halls were nicely decorated for the Christmas Season with 3 beautiful trees.

We enjoyed a snack & drinks in the inviting Restaurant/Lounge of the hotel while listening to the entertainment which we enjoyed very much. That was a plus to have a nightcap in the hotel after a long day of sightseeing & touring the mansions that were decorated for Christmas...The Breakers, The Elms & Marble House. We also enjoyed the Christmas carols, tree lighting & Santa & Mrs. Claus at Bowen's Wharf. It was a treat for the many kids there.

The hotel is conveniently located & a short drive to mansions. You can walk to many of the restaurants & shops from there,

All in all it was a very nice stay at the Hotel Viking. Everyone who worked there that we came in contact with were very helpful & pleasant. We have stayed there before & I am sure we will be back.

The few negative things I sited were just minor & noted for information purposes only. They did not in any way spoil our time there. You can see by my photos how nice & inviting this hotel is.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
mmalloy, Executive Administrative Assisrtant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
When a guest takes such care in detailing their visit so that future guests will be able to get a sense of what The Hotel Viking has to offer, it makes all of us appreciate what a wonderful place the historic hotel is. Adding to this was the terrific set of pictures taken showing not only the hotel but various places to see in Newport. We are also fortunate to have enough parking for guests, and true , we offer self-parking as well as valet for the same amount. Thank you for your insightful and helpful comments.
Long Island
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I chose the Hotel Viking for our first trip to Newport. I read the mixed reviews on tripadvisor, but once I got the incredible rate on Priceline, there was no turning back! I was anxious we were going to be in the "unrenovated" section of the hotel, but we were not. We had a lovely room on the 3rd floor which definitely was recently renovated. I laughed when I saw the sink and thought about the reviews I had read. You see, the Viking put in the ever so trendy vessel sinks which look lovely but whoever picked the faucets didn't really think it out. Watching my husband try to fit his large hands under the running water was amusing. Anyway, the water was hot and pressure was good...that's all that matters to us. :) We did have a small problem with the toilet but once I told them at the front desk it was fixed immediately.
The location of the hotel is just perfect. We parked the car Friday night and never took it out again untill we left on Sunday. The offseason rate to park is $15 a night. It's $28 in peak season. Well worth it once I saw how much parking could be a problem. I can't even imagine it in the summer! The staff was lovely - polite and professional. This is a big deal to me. We did not eat at the restaurant so I can't comment. The lobby was decorated for Christmas which made it warm and welcoming. The location of the Hotel Viking is absolutely perfect! We will be sure to return!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank soxinsvn
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We always appreciate positive feedback from our guests. As you know we are a historic hotel located close to shops, the wharfs, and mansions, and within walking distance of local attractions on Bellevue Avenue. The Hotel Viking has undergone extensive renovations since 2006 to include the historic wing of the hotel as well as the Newport wing completed in April 2011. We do our very best to keep the property in the best condition possible. Throughout the year we offer some really great special packages and do look forward to your return visit.
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I checked in at 3:30 am after a horrid day and the desk clerk was ultra nice considering what time it was - even offered me a refreshment ! Spent 3 nights for work and never saw housekeeping but somehow my room was ready to go by 9:00 AM - wow....
The restaurant is 5 stars in my book.. Not only was the food ( Calamari, Cod, Soups ) outstanding, the service was out of this world. Talk about going the extra mile.. I would stay there again for business or pleasure and would not hesitate to recommend it to a friend. If in the area, I would make the trip just to eat at the restaurant ! Go team

Room Tip: I think they're all good - main building probably best with proximity to centralized services
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
mmalloy, Executive Administrative Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Arriving at such a late hour on business travel provides some stress, and our associates are trained to make check-ins as smooth as possible knowing the traveler is weary! Business visits are different than leisure ones and we realize the guest has a different focus so anything we can do to minimalize distractions we are happy to do so. One Bellevue’s Executive Team, lead by Chef Kevin Thiele, has been working very, very diligently, under the guidance of Noble House Hotels and Resorts top executives, to have our restaurant become the best in town! All of us know what efforts have gone into providing delicious award winning dishes and yet provide a menu that appeals to everyone. The fact you will recommend the Hotel Viking for pleasure as well is a business is a great compliment and we thank you.
Newmarket, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Room Tip: The room I had was in the older part of the hotel which I would recommend highly, It was like stayin...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy D
mmalloy, Executive Admin. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
To be answered 12-13-11 Hotel Viking".....Romantic”
Reviewed December 2, 2011 Recently stayed at The Hotel Viking for Thanksgiving...Perfect room, Perfect Bed, Exceptional Service, and a room that was cozy, warm and romantic....I will be back........ Room Tip: The room I had was in the older part of the hotel which I would recommend highly, It was like staying in a bedroom that you would want in your own home.........

Answer: 12-13-11 Reading your lovely comments about the Hotel Viking makes one want to visit to see for themselves how it is and take advantage of a wonderful place. Thank you. We are appreciative of your comments.