“Great value in the off season!”
Review of Hotel Viking

Hotel Viking
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Long Island
“Great value in the off season!”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I chose the Hotel Viking for our first trip to Newport. I read the mixed reviews on tripadvisor, but once I got the incredible rate on Priceline, there was no turning back! I was anxious we were going to be in the "unrenovated" section of the hotel, but we were not. We had a lovely room on the 3rd floor which definitely was recently renovated. I laughed when I saw the sink and thought about the reviews I had read. You see, the Viking put in the ever so trendy vessel sinks which look lovely but whoever picked the faucets didn't really think it out. Watching my husband try to fit his large hands under the running water was amusing. Anyway, the water was hot and pressure was good...that's all that matters to us. :) We did have a small problem with the toilet but once I told them at the front desk it was fixed immediately.
The location of the hotel is just perfect. We parked the car Friday night and never took it out again untill we left on Sunday. The offseason rate to park is $15 a night. It's $28 in peak season. Well worth it once I saw how much parking could be a problem. I can't even imagine it in the summer! The staff was lovely - polite and professional. This is a big deal to me. We did not eat at the restaurant so I can't comment. The lobby was decorated for Christmas which made it warm and welcoming. The location of the Hotel Viking is absolutely perfect! We will be sure to return!

1 Thank soxinsvn
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We always appreciate positive feedback from our guests. As you know we are a historic hotel located close to shops, the wharfs, and mansions, and within walking distance of local attractions on Bellevue Avenue. The Hotel Viking has undergone extensive renovations since 2006 to include the historic wing of the hotel as well as the Newport wing completed in April 2011. We do our very best to keep the property in the best condition possible. Throughout the year we offer some really great special packages and do look forward to your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I checked in at 3:30 am after a horrid day and the desk clerk was ultra nice considering what time it was - even offered me a refreshment ! Spent 3 nights for work and never saw housekeeping but somehow my room was ready to go by 9:00 AM - wow....
The restaurant is 5 stars in my book.. Not only was the food ( Calamari, Cod, Soups ) outstanding, the service was out of this world. Talk about going the extra mile.. I would stay there again for business or pleasure and would not hesitate to recommend it to a friend. If in the area, I would make the trip just to eat at the restaurant ! Go team

Room Tip: I think they're all good - main building probably best with proximity to centralized services
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
mmalloy, Executive Administrative Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Arriving at such a late hour on business travel provides some stress, and our associates are trained to make check-ins as smooth as possible knowing the traveler is weary! Business visits are different than leisure ones and we realize the guest has a different focus so anything we can do to minimalize distractions we are happy to do so. One Bellevue’s Executive Team, lead by Chef Kevin Thiele, has been working very, very diligently, under the guidance of Noble House Hotels and Resorts top executives, to have our restaurant become the best in town! All of us know what efforts have gone into providing delicious award winning dishes and yet provide a menu that appeals to everyone. The fact you will recommend the Hotel Viking for pleasure as well is a business is a great compliment and we thank you.
Newmarket, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Room Tip: The room I had was in the older part of the hotel which I would recommend highly, It was like stayin...
1 Thank Nancy D
mmalloy, Executive Admin. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
To be answered 12-13-11 Hotel Viking".....Romantic”
Reviewed December 2, 2011 Recently stayed at The Hotel Viking for Thanksgiving...Perfect room, Perfect Bed, Exceptional Service, and a room that was cozy, warm and romantic....I will be back........ Room Tip: The room I had was in the older part of the hotel which I would recommend highly, It was like staying in a bedroom that you would want in your own home.........

Answer: 12-13-11 Reading your lovely comments about the Hotel Viking makes one want to visit to see for themselves how it is and take advantage of a wonderful place. Thank you. We are appreciative of your comments.
Boston, MA
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I am a little biased because I have been staying at the Viking for years and years, often multiple times a year, but I still decided I needed to write a review. For me, there is no other choice in Newport. The Viking is quintessential Newport. You feel like you are staying in one of the mansions. The rooms are beautiful and decorated to reflect the feel of old Newport. The hotel is within an easy walk to town and Bellevue Avenue, and is anything but cookie cutter. The staff go out of their way to treat you like a VIP. On my most recent stay, one of the front desk clerks overheard someone saying happy birthday to me (it was my 40th and we decided to celebrate in Newport). When we got back from dinner, there was a lovely note and cupcakes in my room from the staff. They just go the extra mile with the personal touches. Makes you feel very welcome.

Do yourself a favor, don't stay at a chain in Newport. You miss out on all the charm and feel of what the town represents. Stay at the Viking and you can pretend, at least for a few days, that you're a Vanderbilt!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kennyshell
The Hotel Viking is a treasure and we are always delighted when our guests can enjoy all that we offer. Newport is a unique destination filled with history and added to all is the preservation of the Gilded Era. It is fun to go back in time, yet have the present day amenities. It is great also that you are biased towards us! We are particularly pleased when our associates take that next step of providing an extra touch to make a guest feel welcome and wanting to return. Thank you for your wonderful comments.
narragansett
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We recently stayed at the Hotel Viking over the long Thanksgiving weekend and we couldn't of been happier. Our room was beautiful and the staff was amazing. They were all so friendly and attentive to all of our needs. The room was super clean and had everything we needed for the perfect relaxing weekend. The beds were amazing and linens and pillow were so comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and had everything we needed. They had begun decorating for the holidays and everything decorated was gorgeous! We thoroughly enjoyed the pool and hot tub and the hotel's close proximity to shops and restaurants. We walked everywhere because it was in the perfect location and a beautiful sunny weekend. I had all intentions of going to the spa which looked beautiful, but time did not permit but i will definatley be back for a spa treatment! We ate at the hotel restaurant and the food was AMAZING. Our waiter was very nice and very friendly! I would HIGHLY recomend this hotel to anyone staying in the Newport area. Its classy, elegant, ornate style is one that many hotels no longer have and their hospitality to their guests is one that more hotels should.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
mmalloy, Executive Administrative Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
We absolutely believe all guests should be provided with guest service above and beyond the norm - and we enjoy knowing we can and do our best to make a difference. Your enthusiasm is contagious describing your stay this past weekend. It was a perfect sunny and warm weekend in Newport and we are pleased you were able to enjoy the time spent here. Understated elegance is portrayed throughout the entire hotel. You will be in for a special treat upon your return when you book a treatment at our wonderful Spa Terre’.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The Hotel Viking is a perfect place for a girlfriend's getaway. The entire staff from the bellman to the waitstaff to the front desk, were warm and welcoming. My friends and I went to the Viking on a beautiful fall weekend and the front lobby was decorated with mums and pumpkins. When we checked in, there was a silver carafe of hot cider waiting. Nice touch. There is a pretty little library off the lobby and you can see that they really put considerable care into renovating this property. The white paint sparkles and everything is clean! The rooms are nicely updated and the only negative is having to pay $15 for parking. Seems a little excessive in the off season. Even with that, the staff can't do enough for you here and you feel like they really want to help you...such a treat when you are on vacation. You won't be disappointed! Also -- side note -- try the cupcake shop downtown -- excellent!

Room Tip: Ask not to overlook the parking lot -- there is one in the back -- not so pretty!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank fallbeach
mmalloy, Executive Administrative Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
New England has so many seasonal advantages and especially that Newport is a year round destination. What a nice review about you and your friends enjoying a “getaway weekend”. The Hotel Viking’s staff does their very best to maintain a clean and warm environment. We are appreciative that we could contribute to a pleasant time for all of you. Parking is at a premium however but we do our best to offer reasonable rates on and off season.
U.S.A.
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Viking on Thanksgiving Day as well as the night. We found the staff to be exceptionally helpful and professional. Their manner was pleasant and relaxed. The hotel lived up to the expectations that we had prior to our visit. Everything was clean and inviting. Our room was spotless and provided us with everything that we needed for our stay.

We booked our stay to coincide with the Hotel Viking's Thanksgiving buffet. All the food was excellent, from the raw oysters to the turkey (of course). The desserts were very good. What we especially appreciated was the relaxed atmosphere. We have been to some restaurants at Thanksgiving that made us feel like we were being herded in and out at breakneck speed. Our experience at the Hotel Viking was exactly the opposite. We were encouraged to take our time and enjoy.

Our trip to the lounge in the evening was also very relaxing. You should try their chips and onion dip appetizer.

We did dine in the hotel's restaurant for breakfast. Although the prices were a bit high, as expected, we thoroughly enjoyed our food. Once again, we were not rushed.

Overall, my wife and I enjoyed our stay and are looking forward to future getaways at the Hotel Viking.

1 Thank wetravelanywhere
We are always so pleased and appreciative when our guests have a wonderful overall experience when staying at the Hotel Viking. This is the ultimate we reach for in setting our goals. It provides us with momentum to continue to strive for even more perfection. We loved your descriptions from the relaxed atmosphere of the Thanksgiving buffet to having appetizers in the bar and an enjoyable breakfast in One Bellevue. During your next visit, we hope it is even better than this one. Thank you.