“Very Disappointed”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dayton, Ohio
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Viking, along with several other co-workers. For my job, I travel all over the world, and stay at many different hotels. This was the first experience that was bad enough to share it on TripAdvisor!

On my last night at the hotel, I came back to the room after a very long day of meetings, to find a pair of my shoes missing. After looking everywhere in my room, I politely called to the front desk and asked them if they could shed some light on what may have happened. I was told to "check under my bed", and that they may have ended up in their lost and found?? The manager made NO effort whatsoever to provide a resolution.

It was cold, dark, and rainy night in Newport, and I was leaving the following morning. I had to walk to find a shoe nearby shoe store and spend $70 on a new pair of shoes so that I could comfortably travel through airports.

After arriving back home, I found out that a co-worker had a pair of boots come up missing as well. I emailed the manager, and I never got a response. I have never had to worry about my personal things in ANY hotel. And, the fact that they did NOTHING to resolve the situation is absolutely unacceptable. I travel to Newport at least twice a year and I will never stay at Hotel Viking again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
9 Thank aquinn7830
mmalloy, Executive Administrative Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
So that we can find out what happened during your stay we will be most appreciative if you will contact us by telephone and/or email.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 10, 2011

My wife and I went here for a weekend getaway from NYC. The hotel was great and the rooms were nicely appointed. We had an estate guestroom. The room was a little smaller than we expected but worked fine for our purposes. The bathroom was very small however and only included a half sink - this bathroom won't work for larger people. I guess this comes with older hotels though. Can't beat the location and service at this hotel. We will certainly be back! My wife used the spa services there and had great things to say afterwards.

Room Tip: We faced Bellevue avenue, were located near the elevator and the valet carport was below us. I'...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you and we are so pleased you had a wonderful weekend getaway. The Hotel Viking has made the very best use of space available in our historic boutique hotel. We also are delighted you will be back again to enjoy our genuine guest service which we all enjoy giving.
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Room Tip: Ask for a Newport room, they were just renovated this year.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
mmalloy, at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
3 Great romantic hotel”
Reviewed November 9, 2011 NEW My husband and I married at the Viking's Chapel and had our reception at the hotel. It was the best day. Our guest are still talking about our wedding two years later. We go back to the Viking on our wedding anniversary every year. Ever year we have a great experience. The staff are warm and friendly. They just finished renovations that make the hotel even better. If you like historic hotels you will love this place. Also, it is in a perfect location on the same road as all the mansions and close to places to eat. The restuarant in the hotel is very good. We have never had a bad meal there either in the restuarant or room service. It is just a lovely hotel. Room Tip: Ask for a Newport room, they were just renovated this year.
See more room tips Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Answer: 11-15-11 There is nothing more wonderful and romantic but to return to a moment in time that cannot be matched with the original moment. And, for you to be able to recapture that glorious time when you got married at the chapel and enjoyed your wedding along with all of your guests. We certainly hope you continue to visit us for many years to come and we will be more than happy to make sure each year it does get better!
CT
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Great staff. Exceptional service. Classic area near mansions and shopping. Upscale hotel with wide range of services. Best spa in newport ri.

• Stayed October 2011
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night, in room 213.

Pros: Service was excellent; any room service requests were fulfilled in a matter of minutes, in a very friendly manner. Decor wasn't bad, and high-quality materials were used in the bathroom. Location was nice as well.

Cons: Room was small (in the original, renovated wing). Bed was old, uncomfortable and totally lacking support - the biggest problem by far. Internet (wireless) was free but coverage was spotty. Our room was located directly above the entrance, and we could hear conversations until the wee hours of the morning.

Overall, a little less than we had expected (although it's inexpensive for Newport).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
mmalloy, Executive Administrative Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Many times in the past year of responding to guests’ remarks, we have described ourselves as a small unique historic boutique hotel located in a great location in Newport. We are all very proud of our historic hotel. The designers have taken great care in providing that rich heritage of New England’s beginnings and our furnishings are designed with comfort in mind as well. We do our best to maintain each and every room and will make the necessary changes to insure it is up to par.
Framlingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Excellent location with comfortable luxuriously appointed rooms. We ate in at One Bellvue and the food and service was very good, the bar area was bit noisey but we like a buzzy atmosphere and were seated far enough away not to find it disruptive. The location is perfect for getting out and about in Newport. The only negatives for me were the $28 per day parking which we were unaware of as we had booked as part of a tour, the $3 charge for the in room coffee which is normally free and additional chages to my credit card after we checked out. All credit to the manager though who acknowledged the error when I challenged and the charges were later refunded.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
mmalloy, Executive Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
What lovely compliments you have given us about your visit and what we offer. Our location is such a big draw to guests in getting around Newport conveniently. It is even better when guests love the luxurious feeling of our décor, and can enjoy dining in One Bellevue. We also are pleased to know the error was corrected and credited back to your account. We hope you plan to visit us again in the not to distant future.
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Stayed overnight for a friend's wedding. The reception was nice, the food was good. The bar was a lot of fun, although the bartender was rude. (I'll chalk that up to the bar being crowded.)
Our room was so\so. It was overpriced for the off season and the amenities provided. The bathrom reminded me of a hostel with the dispenser soaps. Not to mention the dated tile. The bed was very uncomfortable, which was disappointing. You can hear EVERYTHING through the thin walls.
I'm still waiting for the refund of the deposit that I was informed about upon checking in. (This would have been something nice to know, and with all the emails I got from the hotel, would have been very easy to communicate.) The wedding was 13 days ago. So much for the 3-10 refund of the $80 charge I never expected. I also wouldn't complain if it had been refunded in the time frame promised to me.
This was a moderate hotel for an elite price. I won't be returning.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarah C
It is truly a shame your one night’s stay at the Hotel Viking was not at all what you expected and because of the various issues you do not plan to return. We apologize for the delay in receiving your refund and hope it was all resolved by now - if not, please contact us so we can follow up for you.